PDA

View Full Version : audi a4 tdi 1997 fan belt

geo_855
17-05-2011, 11:59 AM
my fan belt shredded are these easy to do what tools are needed

Thanks for your help

green A8
19-05-2011, 11:32 AM
You could have other problems. I know of an Audi that's just had a very similar problem It's 2000 1.9 TDi. First the owner noticed a strange clicking/grinding noise. Shortly afterwards the belt let go. It turned out to be an alternator clutch pulley failure that had caused the belt to shred. He also replaced the tensioner unit as a precaution. I'm not 100% sure if you have a similar set up on your car. Perhaps an expert could contribute their opnion.

Kind regards.

Paul.

Crasher
19-05-2011, 01:10 PM
I find this virtually impossible without pulling the front of the car off and greenA8’s advice is very good, it is exactly what I was thinking.

green A8
19-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Having just had a look at our pair of A4's I would have to agree with "Crashers" post above. Access is severely limited. I 'phoned the owner of the car I mentioned above, as expected he confirmed that he removed the entire front end when he replaced the shredded belt. To justify the effort he also replaced the timing belt, water pump and PAS pump (minor leak) while he "was in the area".

I asked what tools were required to replace the alternator pulley. The reply was that he bought a Sealey SX401 13 peice kit off ebay for about £40 ish. I'm sure that other tool companies will produce similar kits. Having checked he later discovered that Sealey produce two other kits for the same sort of job. An SX400 (around £20 ish) and an SX402 priced at around £50. It might be best to Google the part numbers I've listed above, find a UK supplier and give them a bell to ensure that you get the right set for your particular car. The kit's are known as "Alternator freewheel pulley removal sets" and can be found on page 307 of the current 2010/11 Sealey tool catalogue.

Hope this info is of some help.

Kind Regards.

Paul.

Keyser Soze
19-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Removing the front end is one way to go, however on the B5 it is possible to get the car into what's called "Service Mode" where the lock carrier is extended out to allow access to the belts etc. There is a write up on audi-sport.net here http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/62793-so-called-service-mode-how-get-anything-front-pics.html

In all honesty it's just as easy to take the front end off, the service mode allows for not having to drain off the coolant etc.

geo_855
22-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks guys i got it fixed it was the tensioner that was the prob just replaced it and new belt thanks :D