PDA

View Full Version : Question How easy is it to remove the compressor on a 2.6 petrol?

sebmaster
16-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Hi,

The compressor on my 96' A4 2.6 Petrol's air-con system has a rather large leak coming from the shaft behind the clutch so I am thinking it is the front seal that needs replacing.

I haven't done anything like this on any car before, and am wondering is there anyone that has, who could tell me how easy it would be to remove the compressor, and attempt to reseal it?

I am not really concerned with breaking the compressor, i've rebuilt my air compressor before and this one on my car has sat disengaged for many many years before now, the car however is another matter ;); it's a 2.6 v6 and so access is nonexistent. I don't want to remove the front as that would require draining the coolant and removing the radiator right?

What about from underneath, can I remove the skid-plate and get to it that way?

I read that the compressor on these cars is driven by an auxilary belt? Does this mean these cars have a timing belt, a seperate drive belt the various components and a third specifically for the compressor?

Thanks for any help!

ike
16-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Pretty sure you wil have to remove the front to remove/refit the belt at least. Is the AC circuit already discharged. That stuff is bloody 'orrible - f**k sake don't DIY that bit.

sebmaster
16-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Hi ike,

The system is completely discharged, unless the expansion valve can hold the high side pressure for 6+ years ;)

I was hoping I would have enough space to 'pivot' the compressor and get it out from underneath without removing the belt.
In the Haynes manual for the 1.9 Diesel* it shows the compressor and tensioner clearly, but I don't know how similar it would be to my car, or if the belt drives additional components (and therefore once loose may slip off another wheel further up meaning I have to take the front off anyway).

To get the belts would require removing the bumber, radiator/fans, and headlights right? I read someone said the Audi frontends were really easy to remove but there seems alot to go wrong or miss out esp. without a proper service manual :D

*They dont do one for the 2.6 as far as I know.

ike
20-05-2011, 04:08 AM
i had a look at my 2.8. the belt drives all the ancilliaries. i can't say it looks an easy job.

sebmaster
20-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Hi ike,

Thanks for checking that! (tbh I feel happier knowing that it does drive other components as there is no indecision about what it may do on my car or how I need to get to it)
Have you removed the front of your 2.8 before?

EDIT: Looking at the workshop manual for the B5, it appears that the headlamps, and radiator are all attached to the lock carrier and come away as a single piece. It looks like the lock carrier assembly has a 'service' position where it can be pulled out specific distance while being supported by a couple of special tools.

The posts here [ http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/300216-Timing-Belt-questions-(Special-Tool-3369) ] suggest this is enough to replace the timing belt.

The service position doesn't require removal of any lines or cables, just the front bumper and some bolts for the noise insulation plate/skidplate, so I might try this to see what the access looks like.

ike
20-05-2011, 08:07 PM
I haven't had the front off. I bottled it and had a garage do the cambelt change. They still f**ked the job by not securing the AC line across the front. Fretted through after a month and cost me £300 to get the AC fixed. The bloody pipe cost £120! Should have done it myself. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.