PDA

View Full Version : Question Suspect Clutch Problem

fedex1
16-05-2011, 01:49 PM
My car has only covered 6000 miles and I bought it new.After the car has been sitting
for say 5 or 6 hours,when pulling away in 1st gear with say a 2000rpm I get this sort of
rubbing or whooshing noise and occasionally a sort of grinding noise as I raise the clutch pedal and it starts to bite. If I then press the pedal to the floor it goes
away and then comes back as the clutch engages and then disappears as clutch is fully
engaged.It will not repeat again using 1st for the remainder of my journey.If I then leave
the car say overnight it will repeat in the morning on engaging 1st.The dealer cannot
duplicate the problem.I have noticed that if rpm is kept to an "absolute minimum" it almost
eliminates the rubbing noise.
NOTE; Clutch operation is normal in all gears after initial 1st gear engagement.
Parking Brake released during this problem

HotChip
16-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Sounds similar to the problem I had at about 35,000 miles. I had the flywheel replaced under warranty and that solved it.

My dealer told me this is a recurring problem with the B8's so your dealer should be aware of it.

fedex1
19-05-2011, 08:04 PM
I would have thought I would have this problem every time I engaged 1st gear if it was the flywheel and not just after the car has been
parked up for say 5-6 hours (cold). I must admit it does sound like a clutch plate/flywheel relationship. I presume if it was a release
bearing it would also be evident on every gear change.

fedex1
21-05-2011, 07:30 PM
This car is a 2009 2.0 TFSI S-line petrol engine.Am I right to assume that this car does not have a dual mass flywheel?
I was under the impression that they were only fitted to diesels.