PDA

View Full Version : Options on a new A5

Aralph
14-05-2011, 07:50 AM
Hi,
A week ago I got approval from my better half to allow me to change my car from a Toyota avensis estate to a 4wd, Importantly she also agreed that the kids did not need to sit in the back of it, so yesterday I went and had a fun test drive in a 3.0TDi a5. (Also test drove a Volvo XC60)

Definately think that the A5 is the way to go.

So far I have had priced a 3.0TDI Quattro S Line with S Tronic in brilliant red,
Options:
Technology Pack 1 (DVD Sat Nav, AMI, Cruise Control)
Auto dimming rear view mirror
Electric folding door mirrors
Privacy Glass

The questions are:
Interior light package, really are there no lights on the vanity mirrors and doors?

The suspension options are the standard sport and the S Line suspension (which is even lower (30mm) and harder). Is this a step too far, I am planning to fit winter tyres to the car, based on the snow we have had the last three years and am afraid that the lowered car will be too low.

Also a general gripe why is cruise control and an autodimming interior mirror not standard on a car costing this much?

Is there any options that I should could consider to improve the experience or retained value?

Thanks for any help.

tlionhart
14-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Hi Aralph seeing as this is your first post on the forum welcome! :)

Im actually not sure if there is lights on the vanity mirrors. I know you get a main panel light on the ceiling between the driver and passenger. However this is just a standard light. (like you get in most cars). As for the door, again Im not too sure. You can always ask your Audi dealer. However I think the interior light pack is worth it. They are LED for a start, which makes the cabin ambiance nice. You get lit footwells, front and rear reading lights and glovebox light. I think the interior light pack is just an upgrade to the already interior lights. Being in air vents, door handles (inside the car). I was actually a bit uncertain myself with this pack, on my test drive I took an A5 cab out, which had it. I just put it on my car, as I think I will miss it as I have it on my current car.

As for the suspension, I recommend you don't lower it to 30mm. (the no cost option) UK roads are absolutely awful! You'll be getting new springs and shock absorbers in no time. The standard SLINE 10mm is enough. As it is, the ride is hard.

Yes, I agree. Tell me about it. Welcome to Audi. :) Toyota is generally good at chucking goodies in your car. However, the Germans aren't so generous when it comes to their cars. You pay pretty much for everything...which is damn annoying! Im debating whether I need the auto dimming mirrors. I got it on my current A3 and I like being invincible when you have a 4x4 behind you. However, glass is generally better now days and I've gone for the black edition which means its tinted from the B-pillars to the rear. (which you've gone for, privacy glass)

I recommend the following;
-Sound package where you get the Bang and Olfusen sound system and DAB radio
-Heated front seats are pretty cool and are a god send in the winter!
-Audi parking system plus. Includes front and rear parking sensors. On the screen it will show you how far your car is from an obstacle.

-high beam assist if you live in the middle of nowhere. Seeing your from Aberdeen, this maybe useful. :)

You'll be surprised, a fully spec'ed car isn't always the way forward. A lot of people are recommending me to get the Tech pack. I really don't do a lot of driving. Any pleasure driving I do, I tend to know where Im going. If not, I just take my sat nav. I've prob used my tomtom 5 times in 2 and a half years.

Hope this helps! :D

Aralph
21-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Cheers Tlionhart,
Have ordered the car this afternoon !!
3.0Tdi S Line S Tronic Quattro Coupe in Brilliant Red !! with the standard sports suspension not the lowered S Line !!! (Thanks tlionhart)
Optional Extras:
Audi Park Assist Plus
Technology Pack 1
Privacy Glass
Interior Light Pack
Electric Folding Mirror Set

I decided against the high beam assist as I had it on a hire car and I could not get on with it! The B&O sound system is part of the Black edition, but then the wheels are 19" and winter tyres are phenominally expensive so I decided against it. All in all looking forward to getting my new car sometime!!

After failing to get ant kind of deal from my local dealer (Aberdeen) I emailed and phoned around dealers, have now got a cracking deal on a car for a september delivery!!

Cheers

tlionhart
21-05-2011, 07:05 PM
congratulations on your new order! :D I ordered mine exactly 2 weeks ago too.

In regards to your suspension, I got myself all confused over the suspension too. So the car comes with a standard sports suspension or you could upgrade it to the sline suspension (no cost) and the car would be 30mm lower. On the A3 I know it goes down to 10mm. My dealer recommended I just had the standard sports suspension and avoid the S-line 30mm lower.

I've been giving exactly the same delivery time as you. Did the dealer give you an estimated build time? Mine was week 35. I've been told I should have my A5 by sept or oct at the latest.
Just one or 2 things about the spec and options, did you not like/want the Black Edition? I think it makes good value for money, as you get a few extra goodies. Also did you think about the comfort pack were you get parking system, bluetooth and cruise control?

Looks like you are getting the car with some nice options there. :) Which dealer did you order from in the end?

Aralph
22-05-2011, 09:03 AM
I thought about the black line, but the wheels are 19" and I plan to put winter tyres on, winter tyres in 19" are so expensive, could only find one place that stocked them and they were about £450 each....winter tyres in 18" are about £250. I did consider buying a secoond set of alloys online from an alloy wheel dealer in a smaller size (18") but a friend with a 911 got told by Porsche that fitting aftermarket wheels would invalidate his warranty. I was also not sure about recalibrating the speedo to take into account the different size wheels (Summer 19", Winter 18"). On my wifes golf you can go into the computer and do it, but not sure if on the A5 you can.

The comfort pack was stretching the money too much, so I did not plan to put it on. As an aside the dealer (Edinburgh Audi) has quoted and ordered the upgraded mirror pack by accident so I got that as a freebie!

There is someone at work selling a new set of 19" alloys and tyres of an S5 for £500, so there is always the option available if it does look a lot better on 19" wheels. Mentioned that to the wife this morning and got that "special look" that says you are getting rid of the family estate and getting a coupe, don't push your luck!

So hopefully soon will the get the build week. should make the commuting easier and more fun :biglaugh:

tlionhart
22-05-2011, 10:37 AM
I don't know if Audi will do it this year (they did last year) but they do a winter wheels package. They will store your alloys over winter and put a winter set on. In the package was alloys (tougher against road salt and the elements, winter tyres and storage) Think it was about a £1000. Thing is, you would prob be best off buying a set of rubbish replica alloys and sticking the tyres on that. Or checking out ebay and buying a set from there. I don't understand why I audi offer this pack, 'robust alloys'. Im sure the car is tested before they release it to the public. In the region where Audi produce their cars, they have very harsh winters and hot summers. But the winter pack might interest you.

You can buy tyres online. I do that. I found them for £180 each. Its going to be expensive, but hopefully worth it. hehe Even kwik fit sell them cheaper for the price you just showed me.

Can't wait to get into this car. I really have been thinking if I should get the sat nav or not. I hardly use my tomtom, let alone the sat nav. I may answer my own question here, will I be wasting my money?

a5bhoy
24-06-2011, 10:55 PM
I currently have a 2.0T quattro A5 sport and it has been fantastic over the last 2 winters. So good I haven't even considered winter tyres. Only problem is the clearance - definitely best to avoid the S-line lowered suspension.

I gave a lot of consideration to what I would get next and I must say the 4wd was a big factor - so I've just ordered the same car but in the Black Edition ! This time in white as it looks stunning !

tlionhart - I also had the same dilema when I bought my current car re sat nav. I am 100% sure that I made the correct decision to save £2k and not order the built in version. Spent less than 10% on a garmin which I can use in other cars and is also easier to upgrade. Despite warnings about resale values I got over 60% of list price back after 3 years - after a substantial discount on new car. Even if it does affect resale value it is only going to be a % of the outlay.

Still awaiting estimated delivery date but can't wait !!!

tlionhart
08-07-2011, 08:52 AM
congratulations on the order! Have you been given a rough idea to when the car will arrive?

I was going to add the sat nav, but my local dealer said on the particular car Im going for its only worth having if your going to actually use it. If it was an S5 or 3.0 TDI then it would be a must have. Simply because all the other cars at that spec have it and it would be expected. So therefore it would help with the resale.

I've gone for white too. Seen some great pics of it on another forum and of course on the motorway. I think I've made the right choice. :)

Regarding the suspension I was going to consider the lowered 30mm ride. (s-line suspension) but changed my mind. Roads here are rubbish and I would like some comfort from the ride.