PDA

View Full Version : '95 coupe air bag light

fourringsrus
13-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Some of you will be aware that I recently aquired another '95 coupe.
Well after a bit of poncing about, I now have a new mot on her and have given her a decent run today and I have noted that the only issue with the car that requires attention is the ABS light stays on for about 4-5 minutes after start up and run.
Is there an obvious plug or connection to look at or a more sinister problem.

Stuart

m50yre
16-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Seems like the reasons for you to get yourself into VAGCOM are piling up!! Anyone near you with access??

micheal balbrig
16-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Some of you will be aware that I recently aquired another '95 coupe.
Well after a bit of poncing about, I now have a new mot on her and have given her a decent run today and I have noted that the only issue with the car that requires attention is the ABS light stays on for about 4-5 minutes after start up and run.
Is there an obvious plug or connection to look at or a more sinister problem.

Stuart
Is it air bag or abs?

fourringsrus
16-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Is it air bag or abs?

Micheal I believe the modern term is " my bad ", I got the post totally wrong and only realised after reading your comment
The warning is in fact " air bag " and not abs, my apologies

Stuart

micheal balbrig
16-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Micheal I believe the modern term is " my bad ", I got the post totally wrong and only realised after reading your comment
The warning is in fact " air bag " and not abs, my apologies

Stuart

You may need an inexpensive fault code reader to put this light back to its normal few seconds (on)
Thats how I solved a similar problem in the past.
I am not sure what causes the problem but I did read somewhere that removing dash bulbs with ignition on
can cause problems.
Regards
Michael

fourringsrus
16-05-2011, 10:21 PM
That's interesting , thankyou Michael

m50yre
18-05-2011, 09:40 PM
That's interesting , thankyou Michael

I took my dash out to replace some bulbs when I got the car,to do this I unplugged a small multiplug that sits centrally on top of the column then took the clocks etc out. In the end it would appear you don't need to unplug this connector as it's for the airbag. After I put everything back in the airbag light wouldn't go out. After much investigation I was pointed towards vagcom. I got a cable and the program and ran it on the car which showed a fault code for the airbag which I think was a warning for loss of power to the airbag. Removed the fault and it's never returned.

fourringsrus
18-05-2011, 10:24 PM
I think that with this latest vehicle I might be wise to look further into finding a cheap vagcom just to bring her up to scratch. I never felt the need with the previous ( well still current, silver model ) 2.6 coupe as she never really put a foot wrong but this new girl may have a few small issues