PDA

View Full Version : Vw Bora Rear Bushes

loz683
10-07-2007, 08:03 AM
Hi all, hope you can help my bora has started to feel a bit soft at the rear and tends to sway side to side especially at higher speeds i suspect that the rear bushes might be shot.

I have been told that the Audi A4/A3 bushes are a better option any thoughts.:(

Fizzbitt
10-07-2007, 08:57 AM
When the bushes go there is more of a knocking sound as you go over bumps and pot holes.

I wouldnt have said that the ride would be soft though...? My rears are shot but my suspension seems fine and firm.

loz683
10-07-2007, 09:04 AM
When i go over a pot hole or bump in the road there is a thud from the back so i think the main rear axle bushes are shot anyway but i did'nt think that would affect the rear handling,or would it?

Fizzbitt
10-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Aye... deffo sounds like the rear bushes. And no.. shouldnt affect the handling.. well going by my limited experience with the Bora it doesnt.

loz683
10-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Just had a chat to my mechanic, he reckons if they are really bad then yeah it can affect the handling, he has just done his on his 130 golf and suffered similar problems. He has quoted me £100 fitted so can't complain there then,he say's it's a bugger of a job,you have to drop the rear axle.:Blush:

Fizzbitt
10-07-2007, 09:50 AM
aye.. i was told exactly the same thing with regards to the axel. Never let a back street garage do it as they will most likely use a big hammer to get them in place. :p

loz683
10-07-2007, 10:04 AM
I would never trust anybody but harold to sort my motor out, i have known him for sixteen years and he knows his stuff and has a good set of lad's working for him.

peterb1
10-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi

I note from the Haynes manual that (quote) "Golf models from model year 1999 (except 1.4litre petrol engine models) and all Bora models are fitted with hydraulic rubber mounting to the rear axle. Other Golf models are fitted with solid rubber mountings. It is NOT possible to remove the hydraulic type rubber mountings from the rear axle, and if leakage is evident it will be necessary to replace the rear axle complete" :zx11:

I have a number of questions about this:
1. What on earth is an "hydraulic rubber mounting"?
2. Why can they not be replaced / removed from the axle?
3. Which loon at VW decided that it was a good idea to replace a simple solid rubber mounting with something that could not be replaced?
4. How much does a new rear axle cost compared to a rubber bush mounting?
5. Has anyone had problems with these hydraulice rubber mounting on a post 1999 Golf or Bora?

Peter :aargh4:

loz683
10-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi Peter, you are touching on something that i know very little about,all i do know is that the main rear axle bushes are relpaceable.My man Harold said he has changed many of these bushes and attributes this growing trend to the birth of the much loved speed bump.:(

Fizzbitt
10-07-2007, 10:32 AM
ok.. i was chatting to the head mechanic at a VW near me who did my full 80k service for me.

He was saying that originally you had to replace the whole axel as they were integrated to the bushes. VW finally got their act in gear and made replacement hydrolic bushes which stopped you having to replace the whole axel.

This was with reference to the Bora... didnt state if it was accorss the Golf range as well but i 'presume' its the same running gear.

My Bora is a 2000-X plate and he said he would be able to replace just the bushes. I wonder if they are backward compatible.

peterb1
10-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Hi

I am not an expert in these things and I did find it strange that something like a simple mounting bush was not replaceable (at least not according to the Haynes manual which may or may not be correct).

I have a 1999 (T) 1.6SE Golf and a 2002 (02 plate) Golf 2.0 GTi so it would be interesting to know if the bushes are replaceable or not and also are they the same on both the 1999 and 2002 model.

Peter :Blush:

Fizzbitt
10-07-2007, 11:54 AM
The Golf i presume would be going by the way the mechanic chap was speaking when he said 'VW then sorted out their act and made seperate bushes' but wouldnt be able to say on the T plate.

Nothing is ever made simple ehh.. lol

Eshrules
10-07-2007, 12:30 PM
you ought to try a search for rear axle bushes and take a read through the threads on here ;)

Fizzbitt
10-07-2007, 12:39 PM
http://www.geocities.com/vikingheat2001/googlebay-sig.jpg

;)

Im just messing.. im sure there are loads of threads.. just thought id share my experience with it before all the people in the know turn up so i can see if i was right in any way. :p