PDA

View Full Version : LED DRL bulb swap

nobbyuk
12-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Those of you with pre-facelift Q7's with bi-xenon headlights looking to get LED DRLs may find this interesting.

Couple of days ago I installed (allegedly) CANBUS friendly LED DRL bulbs. And, they did work for a day without throwing any error codes. Today though, I got a bulb error for each DRL. Was about to send them back when I had an idea to switch the coding of the headlights to LED DRLs.

Having done that, the lights no longer throw bulb errors and, a bonus, they stay on when the headlights are on. This is now operating as if it was the LED strip found in the RS6 headlight unit, except, instead of having to change the headlight units, or go for the V12 upgrade, you simply need to buy a pair of LED DRL bulbs to replace the existing filament DRLs.

Nice!

One thing though, I may have lost the AFS function but I'm not sure about that as it's difficult to tell in daylight whether the lights are moving or not.

Don't know if this will work for every Q, but mine's a UK 07 with bi-xenon and AFS. Also not sure if it's necessary to use CANBUS friendly LEDs or whether the normal, and cheaper, non CANBUS friendly bulbs will do the same thing.

Plus, as the coding is the same for an A6, it may well work in those too.

Just thought I'd share...