PDA

View Full Version : V5 Pain! Its dying I tell you!!!

SpookedV5
09-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Am new poster to the site, but been reading for quite a while! :D

Can anyone offer me any comfort and help? :1zhelp: Here is the story so far.

1) Own a Golf V5 Mk4 which used to growl like a monster. I bought it having done 12,00 miles and soon after had coil packs changed.

2) 6months later...in 2005 noticed a rumble/vibration (not a good kind) running through the car and clutch especially. After many trips to my most favourite place (the VW dealership) I have had at least 5 parts replaced including the bearing on the fan, oxygen sensor, fuel control unit etc.

3) 1 year ago, vibration returned (not as bad) and the dreaded exhaust emission light came on! Oil was also leaking.....eeek! Back to the dealership I went (VW John Ashley in New Malden). Diagnosed "faulty cylinder" which they replaced including head gasket coming to £1200......and kept my car for 6 weeks as they cocked up the wiring ...yes very ****** off!

4) 2 months ago.....oil light flashes empty!!! Oil leaking! Take it back to VW John Ashley. Replace "head gasket cover" Free of charge.....yes Free of charge...amazing!

5) WRONG! Within a week a) Exhaust emision light comes on! b) engine starts running like its a diesel from cold. c) Notice heated front seat doesn't work all of a sudden d) Yes you guessed it!!!! OIL LEAK!!

6) Call VW John Ashley....no response......gone into administration!!! Doh!

7) CAll VW UK.......after 4 weeks, I force my voice through to customer services who tell me VW John Ashley have gone out of business!! Thanks..I already knew that!. Suggest I get my car in to another dealership so they can establish what has gone wrong. Very clever not to mention/talk about who is going to pay for repairs.

7) Take car to VW Drift Bridge Epsom..(Today)....yikes looks like an expensive part of town.....feel my wallet starting to weep! Yhey call me today to say it will take few hours to diagnose cause of leak...£500 please. Mentioned taking my car apart into little pieces and taking whole driver seat out to see why not heating!

8) Get call after lunch....its the ever so helpful chap at VW...guess what...they found the fault. Oil leaking from faulty sealent around (i think) hed gasket or similar. Need to take more things apart like manifold and cylinders to reseal. Didn't take in all that was required as suffered a stroke, heart attack and epileptic fit after the geezer said the magic figure of £1600 to rectify the fault!!! :zx11: :biglaugh: :zx11: :biglaugh: :zx11:

9) Aaaaaaaggghhhhh! :aargh4:

10) Called VW UK.....cried and got them to speak to each other. The guy at VW Drift Bridge did say that if they had done the work before and I brough the car back as it is, they would have to do the repairs FOC!!!

I know you guys may not be able to help......but I wanted you to know the pain I'm going through. I know its bad....but I actually had thoughts of putting V5 down!!! Sympathy my way please.

Sorry for the lonf thread....had to get it off my chest! :beerchug:

Col
09-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Gutted !

I think you have been very unlucky and treated terribly.

Personally, I'd find an independant garage, who'll treat you better and cost you less. You could of course buy some spanner and have a go yourself !

SpookedV5
10-07-2007, 08:17 AM
I think I may have to find a good local garage. Where to start I don't know!:confused:

I'll see what VW UK have to say....I'm sure they'll say the new faults is completely unrelated to the previous work!!:aargh4:

Keep u posted! :D

martinkgray
10-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Spooked V5. It sounds like you have had the worst luck.
As a V5 owner myself i would say hang in there, get it all sorted and purring again.

Martin
Golf V5 - 170bhp

Veedubber
10-07-2007, 03:51 PM
:( Oh mate - nightmare! :(

VW dealers are just :aargh4: - I didn't think they would be, but they are. There's somewhere here you can ask for good indie garages though not sure how busy it is but if you search through there might be someone in your area. VW garages strike me as being pretty dim - read fault code, replace part (with a new, overpriced one) regardless of what actually caused the fault in the first place (secondary fault from some other primary cause, faulty sensor).

Hope you get V5 love back. :beerchug:

SpookedV5
10-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the link!!!

I got a call at 5.55pm which went to my voicemail. It was VW UK!!!

She said she and her manager had spoken to the VW dealership whith whom my car is with. She didn't say what the outcome was, only that she needed to discuss with me personally on "how to proceed with my car"!! Sounds ominous!!! :(

If they pay for all the repairs, I'll eat my heated seats!!!:Blush:

Will keep you posted.....hopefully tomorrow!

KathW
10-07-2007, 10:55 PM
If the damage that has now been caused is due to their faulty work and you have a receipt/invoice for the work they have done - then you have the proof that you need that states they didn't do the job properly.

But also your consumer rights also state that they have to proof that the other garage AREN'T responsible for that - and as they have gone out of business - i'd like to see them do that....

I personally would complain to HQ if you need to - i had to about mine and they paid for ALL work and some....(i had to pay for it first and they re-imbursed me) I personally say don't back down - get set in your mind what you are willing to accept as a reasonable outcome and stick to it...

Good luck