PDA

View Full Version : cambelt, what a plonker1.9 tdi

andy e
09-07-2007, 09:33 PM
there i am telling other people where to get cam belt done, hooked up caravan fri to have w/end away, 4 miles down road no power!!!!!! pulled up, cambelt frayed, got towed home stripped engine down today, cambelt still on, timed engine with old belt on,top & bottom shafts both on tdc fuel pump 2 notches out!!mate came round with locking pins " you lucky person"hopefully when new cambelt kit arrives it will start!!! will let u know, MORAL OF STORY DONT NEGLECT CAMBELT CHANGES OR IT WILL BITE (98 sharan 61k on clock:zx11:

andy e
11-07-2007, 10:02 PM
it started 1st turn

Jabez
11-07-2007, 10:08 PM
That was lucky.... Pleased for you..... I wouldn't have that sort of result...

andy e
13-07-2007, 08:57 PM
not so good, water pump failed as well, but i have just finished putting car back together, and it runs temp ok hopefully thats it , owned car four years that is first major thing to go wrong :beerchug:

philt112
14-07-2007, 11:54 AM
when is the timing belt supposed to be changed? ive got an 06 with 22k so if it needs doing at 60k ill definitely be getting that changed.

andy e
15-07-2007, 09:15 AM
depends on what engine is fitted check with vw

Tim7595
15-07-2007, 10:10 AM
What is a good price for having this done at an independent ???

andy e
15-07-2007, 04:57 PM
around about £250-325 i was quoted where i live, in north lincs. look in ebay, put in search box vw cambelt there are a number of indies who advertise there:beerchug:

cbrpaul
18-07-2007, 10:12 PM
you were very lucky m8 !!!

strangley enough checked my cambelt tonight even before seeing your thread andy!!!

All looks good , was last done 2 1/2 years / 25k miles ago

my service book says 60k for cam belt and tensioner change , for AFN 1.9tdi,s

cbrpaul
19-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Andy ,

Was it a difficult diy job , i noticed you had locking pins thought !!!

I imagine these are essential

Also are there timing marks on all pullys to line up , to ensure correct timing ?

andy e
19-07-2007, 04:58 PM
pretty sraight forward, pins are a must, yes there are marks, on fly wheel only camshaft is lobes equal up, then insert locking bar on camshaft

andy e
16-08-2007, 09:34 PM
just an update, there was engine damage, engine ran for 1 month then split a follower, when engine was dismantelled valves had hit no 1 & no 3 piston causing follower to split on no 3 exhaust & crack no 1 follower,new cylinder head arrives fri 17-08. so DO NOT IGNORE CAMBELT CHANGES it costs a lot of money even if u can d.i.y ,£265 for recon head +gaskets+ evrything else

golf tdi 02
16-08-2007, 09:37 PM
timing pins are essential to keep the cams and everything else tight so there is no movement at all.
a cambelt replacement is soo much easier with the right tool for the right job

:beerchug::beerchug:

cbrpaul
17-08-2007, 07:29 PM
dam sorry to hear that andy !!!!!

Mines not due till end of 08 according to paperwork , but im thinking for the sake of £90 i might diy it , as long as i get the right locking pins etc ,

is there anywhere you buy the exact pins ?

onzarob
17-08-2007, 07:41 PM
you were very lucky m8 !!!

strangley enough checked my cambelt tonight even before seeing your thread andy!!!

that the bit that gets forgotten, to check regulary

my service book says 60k for cam belt and tensioner change , for AFN 1.9tdi,s

or 4 years old regardless of mileage

andy e
17-08-2007, 10:07 PM
got head off last night, can just see marks on piston where valves hit pistons seems to me that the valves and pistons only slightly met, just enough to crack the followers, new head arrived 4pm now comes 5 hrs of hard graft & yes i have a timing pin set !!!!!!:D

dazza05
25-08-2007, 12:27 AM
Any help ...just went campin at da weekend and whats the worst thing that could happen to ur car? the timing slipped.Was able to drive the car to a stop although very noisey.got the car lifted on to flat bed lorry and delivered to ma door was goina attemt to fix myself but people keep sayin I've prob bent the valves is it abig job to replace cause I've just been quoted up to £600.00 to fix if the valves are bent does this sound right and if the valves arn't wrecked does any one know an average price for timing replacement.but still thinkin of doin it myself is there markins on the wheels to line up and is it easy enough...I would teckle most jobs myself but just not to sure

onzarob
25-08-2007, 07:58 AM
That must be the worst post I read in ages, please don't use text speek, its very difficult to read!!!

There are marks on the cam wheels etc to line up teeth before you do a belt. this is usually straight forward due to the belt being on and in the right place to start with.

I would take it to a garage and get it done, especially if there is other suspected damage, you don't say what engine you have?

andy e
25-08-2007, 09:48 AM
unless you are a competent mechanic do not attempt a cylinderhead change yourself it is a long and complicated job, i've just got my sharan back on the road after 2 weekends and various nights ,total of 45+ hours and i am fairly good on mechanicals, plus side is i know it is done right.it has still cost £500+ for me to do, god knows what the ******** would charge,in short get somebody else to do it:D

Jabez
25-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Hi
Bad luck that buddy... it's worst nightmare stuff that ain't it....
If you've got reasonable mechanical experience you could try changing the belt and seeing how the motor runs... but I feel sure there's probably a bent valve or two...
Cambelt kit with tentioner's etc should cost just short of £100 and a garage would probably charge 2.5 hours labour for a straight cambelt change... if the head needs to come off because the valves are bent you'll be lokking at big buck's probably six hundred quid plus....
Hope ya get sorted
Jabez

andy e
25-08-2007, 01:16 PM
if you look at my other thread (help engine running rough) you will see that i thought i had got of lightly!!!!!!!!!.not so

reesy2000
23-06-2009, 12:11 AM
hi andy any probs starting when you reassembled engine ? just done mine after snappping full recon on head cant seem to get it running ,,,,,,,,,no1 cylinder next to pullys as normal ??

andy e
24-06-2009, 04:49 PM
what engine code? no 1 is next to pulley,what i did is to undo the injector pipes on top of the injectors ( just undo them very slightly)crank the engine over until fuel comes out then tighten nuts up mine did take some starting hope this helps

reesy2000
24-06-2009, 10:36 PM
what engine code? no 1 is next to pulley,what i did is to undo the injector pipes on top of the injectors ( just undo them very slightly)crank the engine over until fuel comes out then tighten nuts up mine did take some starting hope this helps

thanks andy afn code we did get fuel at injectors and so thought we had bled it...... so we heard aroumour some odd vw engines had no1 not next to pullys we did confirm this was right so we double checked everything again and put a hand pump on fuel pump and pumped it up to inj pump by hand then cracked injectors again.......:biglaugh: and it started all ok been on test run all ok :Blush: thanks for your help cheers

andy e
25-06-2009, 05:33 PM
glad you got it going, these engines are supposed to be self bleeding!!!!!!!!!!!:biglaugh:

Tunasteak
18-07-2009, 11:17 AM
You are very lucky by the sounds of it!!!
Thought I'd pass on my findings after a lot of looking around and talking to mechanics....

FOR GENERAL INFO:- Cam belt and water pump are known weak spots on 1.9's particularly but can also with 2.0 as well.
Always change when due and always do together; dealer should do this as a matter of course.
Have known of cambelts going when only a couple of thousand miles over.
The water pump is a known weak spot hence a change at same time, the impeller fins can break off easily causing the pump to be inefective and then engine overheating = head gasket etc etc..