PDA

View Full Version : random coolant loss...

e30adz
10-05-2011, 01:38 PM
We have been loosing coolant from our 1998 TDI 110bhp engine. I can see it dripping down off the sump on the o/s above the a/c compressor pipping. It is definately coolant and only seems to escape when not in use. It is not a huge amount from the expansion tank but leaves a largish patch on the ground?!!!!

I cannot see any loss from the top of the engine or see any coming from pipes.

Please tell me there is something other than a crack in the block that it could be?

The car had a FSH up untill about 20k ago, I would have hoped it would have been well maintained. It is only at 106k now. We have only had it a few months and spent ages tracking one down like it for the lowish miles and FSH..:zx11:

The sump seems to be leaking as well, but I wouldn't have thought it was related tbh?

Anyone got any ideas?:1zhelp:

Also just thought, there is no 'hiss' when we take the expansion tank cap off, leading me to believe that there is a lack of pressure.

alka-seltzer
10-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Hiya,

It may be the thermostat - I had mine replaced recently as it leaked in the same way.

My mechanic had fitted an OEM unit and after cleaning up the termostat housing twice, he replaced it with an original Audi part it's been fine.

Not sure if the expansion tank is actually under pressure in this engine's cooling system, as my 115bhp is the same and gets up to to temperature and stays there OK.

Hope that helps,

Nick

e30adz
10-05-2011, 03:33 PM
hmmm that would be much better. Being a pesimist I tend to go for the worst case scenario....
Will check it out..

Sam
10-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Check the lower front corners of your rad for crusty/crystalised deposits of coolant.

If it is the rad, for a '98, it's done very well ;)

e30adz
10-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Check the lower front corners of your rad for crusty/crystalised deposits of coolant.

If it is the rad, for a '98, it's done very well ;)

Cheers, i'll take a closer look tomorrow. The rad did look quite good so doubt its original.

Barnza
17-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Hi, I have the same problem on my car too. Same car same AFN engine?
Would be interested to what you find e30adz.
Have changed the coolant to oil cooler hose as it split, the oil cooler itself and the exp tank but still leaking.
Also done a head gasket test but that came out ok. Looks like it's near the rad - I will check bottom of rad too.

Barney

e30adz
19-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Hi, I have the same problem on my car too. Same car same AFN engine?
Would be interested to what you find e30adz.
Have changed the coolant to oil cooler hose as it split, the oil cooler itself and the exp tank but still leaking.
Also done a head gasket test but that came out ok. Looks like it's near the rad - I will check bottom of rad too.

Barney

Yes its an afn engine, I'm getting it pressure tested ovr the wknd so I'll let u know the result.

jjh-b5
19-05-2011, 05:02 PM
As above i'd suspect a knackered radiator. They tend to rust/corrode around the lower edge in line with the bottom of the front bumper, especially on older cars. Mine lasted 12 years before replacement so I guess that's not too bad. You'll get a few drops on the drive as the engine cools normally and the radiator starts to weep. I got a new rad for my 2.8 for about £80 new so it's not a bank breaker. Other than that it could be waterpump/themostat.

e30adz
22-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Right, had the cooling system pressure tested yesterday and theres nothing wrong with it, it didnt leak as usual when at the garage, typical!! The mechanic suspects it could be head gasket issues, he's given us a bottle of stuff thats supposed to seal it up so we've whacked that in and we'll see what happens.

jjh-b5
22-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Do you have any sign of oil in the water or water in the oil?

e30adz
22-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Do you have any sign of oil in the water or water in the oil?

No, and compression is fine which is why i'm not convinced thats the problem but i'll see if that stuff we've put in works.

jjh-b5
22-05-2011, 05:57 PM
I'd not be too convinced either. I'd not use the additive as I think its a bodge but it's up to you. have you tried running the car parked over newspaper? if you can get a break in the weather!

Keyser Soze
22-05-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm personally wary of additives such as Bars Leaks & Radweld and imho they have no place in a modern engine with aluminium blocks & radiator cores. Could be causing more trouble than they're worth by only ever masking the original issue rather than actually eliminating the true root cause.

Sam
23-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Have you checked the rad?

Eshrules
23-05-2011, 02:23 PM
<laughing>

good old radweld. If you can't fix it, bodge it!

Keyser Soze
23-05-2011, 02:48 PM
..... by only ever masking the original issue rather than actually eliminating the true root cause.

In other words Bodge it 'n scarper!!!!!

In all reality if it is a rad, they can be picked up cheaply enough from a scrappy or even new from Euro, GSF or fleabay.

e30adz
23-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Have you checked the rad?

Yeah checked the rad, its fine and the leak is nowhere near the rad.
I'm not a fan of radweld (thats not whats been put in but the name escapes me) or such other products myself but i've spent more time and money on this car so far than i'd like, which means the restoration of my E30 325i is going much slower than i'd like so its bodge the boring diesel family runabout for now and get on with sorting the beemer so i can have some rear wheel fun again.;)

Hi guys Ad's Missus here!! (the one who knows haha). It is not some old crappy rad weld bodge *****!! The car was preasure tested and did the old trick of not doing its 'wee' when I need it too, after leaking daily for several weeks! Anyway I showed the mech exactly where it was coming from and he has come to the conclusion that it can only possibly be either the headgasket (no you dont need to see water in the oil necessarily or a lack of compression straight away) or the core plug!! he recommended this 'headgasket in a bottle' stuff that he has personally had experience of, and it has so far worked. Its like a copper coloured glass compound. I will let you know how it goes. Rad weld is a totally different compound to this one apparently, I would not put that **** in a car I bought with the proceeds of selling my much loved GTE....... Eventually when it does go then I will address either head off (£500 for a mech or £300 in parts and many hours DIY) or just buy another engine!!

Just to clarify it really isnt the radiator, it clearly is running down the block, it would be immediately apparent if it was the radiator. Also it cannot be the thermostat as the leak is no where near it and coming from higher up. It can only be the HG or the core plug, after a process of elimination.

Barnza
14-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Hey e30adz + his missus,
I've put some stuff in called K-seal is that what you used? Made no difference to mine at all in fact it's probably using more. I drive 60 miles a day and that'll almost empty the expansion tank if I fill it up before.
No massive leaks from the rad and the garage have looked at it twice - no problem with HG either. It's peeing me off now as it's using litres of water! Where's it going???
Sorry to hijack but apart from thermostat / rad / HG what could it be?
Cheers,

Dan J
16-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Hey e30adz + his missus,
I've put some stuff in called K-seal is that what you used? Made no difference to mine at all in fact it's probably using more. I drive 60 miles a day and that'll almost empty the expansion tank if I fill it up before.
No massive leaks from the rad and the garage have looked at it twice - no problem with HG either. It's peeing me off now as it's using litres of water! Where's it going???
Sorry to hijack but apart from thermostat / rad / HG what could it be?
Cheers,

Been having the same coolant loss problem and also the temp light comes on and flashes when it gets just past 90 on the gauge but turns off if i slow down a bit, not loosing vast amounts of coolant but enough for there to be something not right, have noticed a bit of leakage around the temp sensor housing where it bolts to the engine on mine so maybe worth checking on yours if you havent already, i thought it could be the rad but theres no signs there,
ive just replaced my thermostat,expansion tank and cap, fingers crossed its the housing leaking or im out of ideas.

e30adz
06-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Just a quick update on this, it turns out the leak was from the waterpump. It wasnt showing any signs of leaking and the leak didnt look like it was coming from that area and the temp was fine but it finally got to the point I could hear that it had gone, popped the bonnet and coolant was flying all round the engine bay from aux belt which is prob why it was so hard to trace.
Managed to get a new waterpump from ECP for £13, (i buy lots of bits from them for the audi and my 325i so get a healthy discount) I fitted it about 3-4wks ago and have not lost any coolant since. Happy days.

Tyler 1
06-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Glad you found the issue mate and sorted it..