PDA

View Full Version : Audi A6 1.8T (1998)

ksaffy
09-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Apologies if a similar thread has already been posted (I did look and couldn't find one) - I have an Audi A6 1.8T (1998) which died on me whilst driving the other day. It's a 'suspect' timing belt issue, so I have to book it into a garage to get a proper diagosis and prognosis but the info online for this model is a bit sketchy. Does this model have a non-interference engine? If so, am I daft to assume that the damage may not be the worst case scenario with bent valves/pistons? I was doing 50mph at the time, there was no noise and I didn't even know anything had happened except when I went to brake and that was a scary moment!

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

a8 tech
09-07-2007, 09:06 PM
It is very unlikely that the valves havent made contact,and you will find the inlet valves will be the most likely to have got over friendly with the pistons.The valves arent cheap and very labour intensive to replace so a second hand head is the best bet.The pistons normaly survive this damage with onlt light damage but a piston pretrusion test is required to check no damage to the conrods,the 1.8 t is a very strong little engine but the valves can only take so much.Sorry to give you bad news Regards Jon

ksaffy
09-07-2007, 09:12 PM
I was expecting bad news if the truth be told. I'll get her towed to a garage and checked out..thing is I really like this car and if possible would like to get her fixed, but economics might dictate a short walk off a cliff for her :( Cheers for info and reply.

Peter D
10-07-2007, 08:57 AM
"except when I went to brake and that was a scary moment!" Strange why did you run out of vacuum for the servo. It should have at least brought you to a halt once. If the engine had shut down didn't all the dash ligths come on. Regards Peter

Lex Luthor
10-07-2007, 09:07 AM
This eBay item might save you some money : 220127263927

ksaffy
10-07-2007, 09:12 AM
"except when I went to brake and that was a scary moment!" Strange why did you run out of vacuum for the servo. It should have at least brought you to a halt once. If the engine had shut down didn't all the dash ligths come on. Regards Peter

The dash lights never went off at all and all the electrics seemed to be working OK. Felt as though there was a brick under the brake pedal and the steering was heavy; the thing is the engine is so quiet I never even noticed that it had cut out. I was coming off a motorway, downhill and heading towards a roundabout, so I had to brake several times and no idea when the engine did cut on me. When I came to a halt, I tried to turn the engine and there was just a high pitched squeel and under my seat felt like the wheels were spinning (but that was my imagination). The AA looked under the oil cap and listened to the engine and seemed to think it was the timing belt. Do you think it's something else? This is an awful time of year to get a mechanic to look at a car! Hopefully Friday I can get a list of the damage..meanwhile it's public transport for me.

Peter D
10-07-2007, 09:18 AM
You said "The dash lights never went off " if the engine cuts out they come on. I assume then that this is an automatic thus when you took your foot off the engine died the lights should have come on but it did not bring the car to a stop the brakes did. Perhaps you dipped the clutch and she died. It is not clear what happened. Regards Peter

ksaffy
10-07-2007, 09:55 AM
You said "The dash lights never went off " if the engine cuts out they come on. I assume then that this is an automatic thus when you took your foot off the engine died the lights should have come on but it did not bring the car to a stop the brakes did. Perhaps you dipped the clutch and she died. It is not clear what happened. Regards Peter

No lights never went off (i.e. when the car was brought to a halt) or they just came on, I only remember the dash was lit up. I might have dipped the clutch, but it all happened so fast I honestly can't remember. Is that important?

Peter D
10-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Doesn't sound good. How many miles has the car done and how long in time or miles since the belt was changed. ?? Regards Peter

ksaffy
13-07-2007, 10:51 AM
The car's done over 100K and altho' I have a full service history (at Audi dealship) there's no mention of a belt change. Mechanic came out to look at it today and says the belt is intact, but the problem may be some teeth (think that's what he said) that are broken as the belt is loose. He will have to strip the engine to assess damage but can't give an estimated cost just now. Does that sound right, I've no clue and terrified of a huge bill.

Peter D
13-07-2007, 11:08 AM
The first thing I would do is replace the cam belt and then do a compression test if all is well then you where very lucky, However for the belt to jump so far then the engine would not run causes some concern, but I would not be lifting the head until the compression checks are done. Regards Peter