PDA

View Full Version : Xenons - high pitched sound when warming up?

tadziak
09-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Hello Everybody,
I have noticed that when I start my xenon lights (especially when the engine is still off) I can hear quite loud high pitched sound. When the lights warm up (after few secs) it fades away (is just barely hearable when being outside of the car). Is that normal or should I complain about it to dealer?

I have also noticed that switching lights from long to short makes a funny 'shutter closing' sound. I guess it's normal? I never heard it in my MK5 (also with xenons).

Thanks in advance for your advices.

ddave05
09-05-2011, 09:20 PM
I think it's the ignitor in the ballast/bulb which creates a high voltage to ignite the bulb. Pretty normal and nothing to worry about as far as I'm aware.

tadziak
09-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks a lot ;) I'm coming from MK5 so all things are a bit new to me here, in this class of cars. I was just wondering if others can hear it too when being outside the car (for example when the leaving home function triggers)...

rmccardal
10-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Can you hear the noise from the tweeters in your doors?

If so, I have this issue.

I also have a high pitched whine that rises and falls with revs.

VW have admitted the fault, no fix known so I am currently in dealings with them *cough*phaeton*cough*

Oh.... Dynaudio system??

tadziak
10-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Can you hear the noise from the tweeters in your doors?

If so, I have this issue.

I also have a high pitched whine that rises and falls with revs.

VW have admitted the fault, no fix known so I am currently in dealings with them *cough*phaeton*cough*

Oh.... Dynaudio system??

No, it has nothing to do with tweeters - sorry. This is actually only audible when being outside the car, close to the lights/hood. I have a standard sound system (which btw sounds really nicely - big surprise for me, coming from the mk5 with custom made DLS system).