PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE - 2002(51) A4 1.9TDI - Power loss

Rupz911
08-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Hi guys,

I am having some problems with my car and wondering whether you can help. I have an Audi A4 1.9 TDI 51 plate (2002) and I took it to an automated car wash (arc). When it came out of the car wash I would start my car and drive off only to find that as I pt my foot down to accelerate off the car would loose power and the revs would drop. After pressing my foot on the accelerator fully, the car would continue at a slow pace. At 3000RPM (I think) the then the turbo would kick in and I would fly off, with a huge cloud of smoke behind me. I came up with a partial solution by the disconnecting the 2 part air intake, this seems to be the trick.

However, recently I serviced my car and connected back the air intake. A couple of days later it rained and I took the car out. As I pressed on the accelerator the car did not pick up as it use usually did and it started kangarooing. After completely stopping at the lights, I tried to move off with the revs set to 3000RPM, I released my clutch pedal and the car almost stalled.

I have already changed the Mass Flow Sensor a year ago so do not think it’s attributed to that. I have a feeling the water is getting in to the air intake but not sure how to stop it or if you can.

I have tried to explain my problem as thorough as possible and would really appreciate some advice on how to sort out the problem.Thanks in advance.

Rupz

P.s. Sorry its so long!

hibbsy21
11-05-2011, 02:14 AM
i would of thought it is some sort of pressure leak from somewhere. checked all the pipes too??

Rich

Edit: Just noticed you said air flow meter was changed a year ago....it could still be at fault, it doesnt take much for these to stop working correctly. Might be worth getting som brake cleaner and giving it a good clean! As you said, if water is getting in somehow, then it will be dirty.

Rupz911
11-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply. Will check the MFS, however, I would like to know the root cause of the problem. It's just a pain when it rains and you get in the car with your fingers crossed, hoping the revs don't go bonkers when idle.

Again, thanks for your help.

Rupz911

frankc
11-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Hi rupz, root cause - in a modern engine could be any number of sensors going south. In order to really find out what's going on you will have to get a diagnostic scan to find out what the ECU is saying otherwise you could throw £££ without knowing the cause.
As both the occurrences you have mentioned have involved copious amounts of water over the car in might be a good idea to check the drain holes under the battery & ECU at the bulkhead as these are a common source of electrical gremlins when they (frequently) flood.

Good luck, Frank

Rupz911
12-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Hi Frank,

Thanks for that, will have a rumage down there. Although, i had got the recall from Audi for plenum chamber, which they cleaned out (i hope). I was hoping this could have been the contributing factor. However i will take your advice and have a little clean out.

Thanks again.

Rupz911

simonrk57
14-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Coil packs?

Hex69
14-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Coil packs? Not on a diesel...

as frankc said, probably the plenum chamber full of water, this needs to be checked asap, because the brake servo and vacuum both come from there, and you don't want you brakes failing....

mumutley
14-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Hi

Have you checked the bulkhead area is not full of water shorting electrics out in the rain?
If its only happening in the rain check ALL electrical contacts and air intake system