PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Loss of power at higher revs, possibly air in fuel line? Tee piece on filter?

Simon Curtis
08-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Hi guys

I recently put about 30 litres of unleaded in our 2.5 tdi a4 avant (not the cleverest move I know).

The car stopped after a mile or so. We managed to pump out the tank and fuel lines, prime the engine with diesel and get it running again.

Since then the engine seems like it is lacking fuel at higher revs, there is air in the fuel line and consequently there is a loss of power.

It got worse over a drive of 300 miles the other day, but since that we have tightened all connections to and from the filter and checked the tee on the filter (this is our best guess at where the problem lies just now). My dad reckons trying another o-ring to seat the tee on the fuel filter? Maybe we've lost an o-ring when we tried to get the unleaded out?

I also know that there will be air bubbles in the fuel line if the car were running normally, but perhaps there is too much.

Any ideas welcome.

ike
08-05-2011, 08:52 PM
If air was the problem, the engine would just stop. Worst case, the injection pump has been damaged. I don't think there is a way to check the pump on the car.