PDA

View Full Version : How big are your gaps between the windows and the frames?

tadziak
07-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Hello,
I'm a new owner of a passat CC and in general I love it. However I do notice a bit much of the wind noise at 70-80mph and more. I was wondering if the windows/doors are properly adjusted in my car, the gaps between the windows and the center frame (the one that divides the front and the rear window) seem quite big. Can anyone tell me how does it look like in your cars - how big are those gaps? And are they equal for all windows? For me from drivers side its a bit bigger than others...

Thanks in advance for help.

Gregmeister
08-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Tadziak, I get very little wind noise in the cabin, even at three figure speeds (on my private race course obviously ;) ) can you post up a picture of the gap your referring to and I'll take a corresponding picture of my car for comparison.

tadziak
08-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi,
Here is a photo of what I mean. To be honest I'm not completely sure if the noise that I complain is typical wind noise. It starts around 70-80 mph, but its not constant. Its not like some whistling sound that would start from some speed and increase with accelerating. It's rather repeated wind gust noise, simmilar to what you hear when you drive during strong side wind (but it happens even when there is very litle wind outside).

Thanks for your reply. I13727

Gregmeister
09-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Here is the corresponding photograph taken from my car. In my case, the gaps are even on the doors on both sides of the car.

I'd say first things first, check the door seals are free from any debris and likewise, the door frames and glass where the seals press against them. do this for all 4 doors. If it is still doing it after that, take it to VW as it's probably a slight misalignment issue.

tadziak
09-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks a lot for your tips. And is there any chance that you could messure the size of this gap/space in your car? Mine just looks a bit too big (or maybe its just about the angle of the photo). Thanks in advance.

Gregmeister
09-05-2011, 12:31 PM
The gaps are as follows (measured between black tim and glass)

LHS top = 11mm
LHS bottom = 9mm

RHS top = 10mm
RHS bottom = 8mm

as each of the front doors are closed, the window glass depresses the seals around the window quite noticably.

tadziak
09-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks a lot for your reply. I understand that those spots that I marked with red are more or less where you messured those gaps we talk about? And you gave me the values in Millimeters? (I'm not from UK, so I'm not so sure ;))

Gregmeister
09-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Regarding the spots, the measurements were takne at the very top (where it meets the top trim) and the very bottom (where it recesses into the door). Measurements in millimeters, correct.

thax1
09-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Hope you get this sorted.

On a similar vein, I've had an annoying rattle/buzz from the passenger front door for several weeks.

Seemed worse some days than others, seemed to be a 'resonant' buzz after hitting a bump, cats eye, etc. Also on bad days buzzed in time to the car stereo bass (sounding like a damaged speaker...)

For me in the driver seat, seemed to be coming from the door armrest / grab handle, but other-half sat in the passenger seat and reckoned it was coming from the 'middle of the glass' ?!?

Epiphany moment was that it stopped completely if I opened the window, or even cracked the window open a fraction.

I believe its actually a 'dry' window / door seal.

I've bought some silicon-based lubricant from Halfords, and a small application to the rubber has definitely helped. I'm going to try some at bigger spray of the stuff this weekend.

Your post reminded me that I was going to post on the forum about it...

ibbotsonf
02-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Do you think the noise is coming from the top of the door when you get to 50mph+ ?

If so, you may have the same problem I had.

My dealership (Crewe in the UK) spend ages trying to trace the fault. It turned out to be a misaligned seal within the door itself. The noise I was hearing was air entering the bottom of the door and flowing up through the drainage holes into the door itself and exiting through the top of the door. The dealer replaced this internal seal and the problem was solved - top marks to the Crewe dealership. The Stoke dealership (where I took the car first) said "well, it's a new design and you have to expect these things". Guess where the car goes for servicing!

mkenn
12-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Have these problems been sorted or are they something particular to the design i.e. where there are no sills? When looking / choosing to have a cc I did notice how the wondows seem to seal/unseal when the doors are closed / opened and wondered at the time whether there was a trade off on wind-noise etc. What happens in winter when we get the usual few weeks of hard frost?