PDA

View Full Version : Please Help New A4 owner - Few troubles

rinupanu
05-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Hi guys, I'm not new to the forums, but I'm new to the A4 B5 forums, owned an Audi A3 8l before this, now I've sold that, i've bought myself a 1996 Audi A4 Saloon, 1.9 TDI 110BHP, and theres a couple of problems which i would like to find out what they are

Firstly, when moving off or if i lean on either side front wings the car makes a creaking noise creak,creak,creak, highly embarrising and highly annoying, also i'm planning on taking some work collegues to a part on Saturday night and I don't want the front wheels falling off while on the motoway (lol), if you need more explanation about the problem let me know.

Another problem, I ran out of Diesel on the motway day after i got it, fuel tank was on the second little red needle and fuel light came on and off randomly, what do i need to replace to get the guage working properly again?

I'm also getting 2 error codes that keep coming back when i scan with my VAG memoscan U280

codes are 00575 and 00550

any help much appreciated and thanks in advance,

the car has an MOT not sure if it was a blagged one or not, but the tax shows it's been stood around since last august is this helps?

Cheers people!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

rinupanu
05-05-2011, 09:14 PM
oh and milage is 144k

iwaters
05-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Firstly the creaking. The A4 has multi link suspension, 4 arms. What that means is there are 4 metal arms which connect the wheel bearing housing and suspension to the body. Each of these arms has a bonded rubber bush where it is bolted to the chassis. These bushes perish and wear out and creak. It can be hard finding which one is creaking. The usual culprit is the large bannana shaped one. If you are DIYing it is quite easy but can be a pain with seized bolts and ball joints. Plenty of how tos floating around. Most people will tell you to avoid the cheap replacement arms and go for the Febi or genuine Audi gear. I went for the cheap ones and havent regretted it yet!

The fuel guage problem is likely to be caused by the fuel level sender in the tank, although it could be a fault with the instrument panel. Does your VAG memoscan only scan powertrain faults? If so you need VCDS to scan the instrument cluster controller for faults there.

The 00550 code could be due to air in the fuel lines which would have happended when you ran out of fuel. Are there any symptoms? Have you cleared them and they are returning?

rinupanu
05-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Hi,

My dad works for Skoda / VW group so all parts i get are genuine authentic, i'll get the bushes checked tomorrow!, i don't trust myself with suspension im only just past service level mechanically,

the memoscan is just a cheap code finder off ebay £10 it was, i'll see if my dad will let me use the VAG com in their building when his boss isn't there tomorrow,

thanks, i've just cleared the code, there probably was air in the fuel lines, i hadnt scanned until after i ran out of fuel so you're probably correct,

Another issue is, since i bought the car, it JUDDERS pretty hard when stationary at lights etc but the revs seem to stick at 800/900, its not had a service yet....

Thanks for replies in advance

Ta

rinupanu
05-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Right, just been to pick my brother up, the car seems to be pulling randomly from the left hand side, like its braking or something, is this a symptop of balancing or tracking? or will it have something to do with the bushes?:confused::confused:

rinupanu
05-05-2011, 10:22 PM
it also seems like the steering gets a bit stiffer while it's pulling back.

luigi171
06-05-2011, 08:47 AM
You have quite a few issues!

Sometimes he fuel sender in the tank gets gunged up, ive heard people say that a good quality injector cleaner/diesel additive sorts that right out there is one called BG244 which is good apparently.

That could very well be your bushes, i replaced ONE suspension arm which was worn and my car drove like new, if you have more than one thats worn, well, all number of handling issues could be sorted out.

If the tracking is out you might be able to tell from uneven tyre wear, if this is the case take it to someone with a decent tracking setup and get it done, no real way round it!
I'd check your rear wheel bearings as well, get it up in the air and give the tyres a wiggle from side to side, if there is loads of play you might have to look at getting the rear wheel bearings done.

Oh, and service the thing!

Hope this Helps
Luigi

rinupanu
06-05-2011, 09:01 AM
thanks for that Luigi, scary as hell at the moment, feels like my front wheel is going to fall off hah! i'm booked in for 3pm today for balancing and tracking, i'm hoping the old man can get me some bushes in today as well,

Thanks for the idea of wheel bearings, i've been hearing a slight whiring noise as well, only ever so often though,:zx11:

iwaters
06-05-2011, 09:53 AM
The pulling to one side could be the bushes if they are badly worn. It could also be the brake caliper is siezed. You said originally it has been stood around since august. Maybe a brake strip and clean is in order too.

rinupanu
06-05-2011, 10:08 AM
brake strip and clean, is this expensive?

iwaters
06-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Nah its not expensive. Often done as part of a full service. Just means removing and inspecting the pads, cleaning the caliper and greasing the slider pins so the caliper moves freeley. Only about 30-60 mins labour. Obvously if they find the pads or discs are worn or the caliper is completely siezed then it will cost more.

rinupanu
06-05-2011, 11:28 PM
right guys, took it to the my dads garage, asked for tracking and balancing, he said NO way man, no point, you need to replace the suspension arm, (it's got play in it, and says somethings seized up ball joint or something?), the fron end creekes like hell up to say 30mph, now i'm supposed to be taking some collegues to a party tomorrow, about say 60 miles of driving in total, he said i should be ok driving it until Tuesday (when it's due to be fixed) as long as i don't rag the car about and do like 80/90mph on the motorway and stick to like 60mph max, is he right? i'm after abit of a second opinion, I don't like the idea of going 60mph down the motoway and my wheels fall off hah!

yaman
07-05-2011, 12:31 AM
he said i should be ok driving it until Tuesday (when it's due to be fixed) as long as i don't rag the car about and do like 80

If my car juttered, creaked, pulled to the left, had a whirring noise, a seized ball-joint
and felt like a front wheel was going to fall off, i wouldn't drive it to the end of the
street.

Have you a death wish? :AR15firin:drive::rocketwho

Regards
Jim

luigi171
07-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Its up to you if you want to take the risk or not! I wouldnt be able to say if i would drive it or not till i had been in it?

Brake strip and clean is doable with DIY mechanic skills

alka-seltzer
08-05-2011, 08:15 AM
right guys, took it to the my dads garage, asked for tracking and balancing, he said NO way man, no point, you need to replace the suspension arm, (it's got play in it, and says somethings seized up ball joint or something?), the fron end creekes like hell up to say 30mph, now i'm supposed to be taking some collegues to a party tomorrow, about say 60 miles of driving in total, he said i should be ok driving it until Tuesday (when it's due to be fixed) as long as i don't rag the car about and do like 80/90mph on the motorway and stick to like 60mph max, is he right? i'm after abit of a second opinion, I don't like the idea of going 60mph down the motoway and my wheels fall off hah!

Hiya mate,

A second opinion is fine, but take it to another garage - asking on a forum whether your car is safe to drive is ridiculous!

You've had a mechanic look at it and tell you what's wrong by physically checking the car.

These forums are fantastic, with loads of knowledgable members, but nobody can (or should) answer your question!

Sorry if it sounds like I'm having a go, I'm not, but wouldn't put my life (or friends) in the hands of a forum member just by giving the description of a problem my car has...

If I was to give advice, I'd say don't drive it in that state.

Anyway, from my experience with my Avant on high miles, mine felt the same (although not as scary as you describe), and I've had all new suspension arms, shocks, rear springs, bushes and wheel bearings done since I bought the car on 120k & now on 150k - a mate of mine drove it recently and was shocked at how tight it felt 'It feels like it's only done 15k, not 150!'.

It seems to be common with these cars and you'll find loads of posts regarding similar symptoms.

Hope that helps,

Nick

daycartes
08-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Hi,

I must agree with all the advice that other posters have given plus this. you had better hope that your dads boss doesn't read these fora!!

ike
08-05-2011, 09:07 PM
The creaking noise is dry ball joints, not bushes. If you can get hold of a hypodermic syringe, you can inject grease through the rubber bellows. This will stop the creaking after a few miles. Later design ball joints cured the lube problem with different grade of plastic cup in joint. Downside is they are softer and wear out quicker.

rinupanu
09-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Right guys thanks a lot for your advice and replies, I agree with what your saying on it should be taken to a mechanic instead of asking on the forums, but any way, decided to take it out Saturday, managed to get everyone there and back safely no problems, but on the way there, got rear ended, whiplash to all passengers the lot! so cars probably going to get written off and i've only had it a week :( :aargh4:

yaman
09-05-2011, 04:00 PM
but on the way there, got rear ended, whiplash to all passengers the lot! so cars probably going to get written off and i've only had it a week :( :aargh4:

Sorry to hear that rinupanu, but at least your still alive (and kicking!!):beerchug:

Regards
Jim

rinupanu
09-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks!, and i'm going to try and buy it back, I can't find any in that colour (bluey silver)

:((:zx11:

alka-seltzer
09-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Hey man,

Ouch - hopefully the whiplash will not cause you any grief in the longterm, and glad you're all alive.

Don't fall into the trap of falling in love with the car just because of the colour!

From what you described of the work needed pre-accident, and a rear-ender sever enough to cause you all whiplash, just let the insurance company right it off and find yourself a clean, straight example.

Cheers,

Nick

luigi171
09-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Massive agreement with alka!

Dont accept the first price they give you either

Good luck

peterk07
17-05-2011, 05:58 PM
hi mate your creaking sound is almost certainly your lower control arms which sit right near your brake discs. take your wheels off and soak it generously with wd40 or some such. try and lift the rubber up and spray under it at the ball joint. i had this same problem but its now its gone. it WILL return though but you can rest assured your wheels will not fall off mate.

fourringsrus
17-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Hey man,

Ouch - hopefully the whiplash will not cause you any grief in the longterm, and glad you're all alive.

Don't fall into the trap of falling in love with the car just because of the colour!

From what you described of the work needed pre-accident, and a rear-ender sever enough to cause you all whiplash, just let the insurance company right it off and find yourself a clean, straight example.

Cheers,

Nick

Absolutely , cut your loss and bin it.If any car/vehicle felt that bad I wouldn't take it off the drive let alone put friends in it.Glad you are all ok but I wouldnt mess about if its written off

rinupanu
18-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Hi Guys, insurance company offered me £1000 today but my lower back is still in pain :(, also decided to buy car back, remove my new sound system and take off the 18 " RS8 wheels, and sell the car for £400 quick sales (without rear bumper, cambelt, suspension arm and ball joint etc being fixed) and user the money I get for the car to buy another, or an A6? appreciate the advice you gave me any way

Thanks. :approve:

Keyser Soze
18-05-2011, 01:31 PM
£1000? Hang on in there......... I had somebody run into the back of me March last year and ended up with whiplash, landed a cheque for £3200 this march.

rinupanu
18-05-2011, 02:46 PM
what car did you buy? ^_^ on a serious note, thanks for the advice i've just litterally licked the envelope with my "reject note" i've just heard my car could take months to sort out! i'm gonna be stuck with a hire car for ages :( want Audi back lol :aargh4:

Keyser Soze
18-05-2011, 03:03 PM
I was driving a company car at the time so fortunately my Audi's werent harmed!!!