PDA

View Full Version : Trend points upwards: Marco Wittmann shows fighting spirit

stuart
01-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Trend points upwards: Marco Wittmann shows fighting spirit

There’s no such thing as giving up. This was the motto of the drivers "powered by Volkswagen” at the second race weekend of the Formula 3 Euro Series at Hockenheim. Last year’s "vice champion” Marco Wittmann in particular showed a good fighting performance on the 4.574-kilometre track. In the end the driver of the French Signature team managed to finish two races as the runner-up and one round in third place.

At the third race on Sunday the German from Markt-Erlbach at first bungled his start from the pole position and had to let the subsequent winner, Roberto Merhi, and even Felix Rosenqvist pass him. But then the 21-year-old took up the challenge and re-captured second place by a fantastic overtaking manoeuvre. His Signature team-mate Laurens Vanthoor on the other hand had no more chances after receiving a drive-through penalty. The Belgian saw the chequered flag after 25 laps in 15th place.

For Daniel Abt, a rookie in the Formula 3 Euro Series, the weekend was very satisfactory. After clinching a strong fourth place at the first race and seventh at the second round on Saturday the driver from Kempten, Germany, again showed a positive performance at the third race when he crossed the finish line on position six.

Kris Nissen, Volkswagen Motorsport Director:
"It was a good weekend for Volkswagen. Our performance capabilities were clearly higher than they’d been at the season opener at Le Castellet. The teams no doubt still have some homework to do to squeeze the maximum out of the new tyres. But there’s no reason to be unhappy. We’ve seen thrilling and fair races. Marco Wittmann in particular made a good showing this weekend.”

#1 – Marco Wittmann (Markt Erlbach)
"We’ve been making really good progress over the past few weeks, after the season opener hadn’t gone according to plan for us. That my start from pole at the third race wasn’t optimal is frustrating. But at least I was able afterwards to quickly re-capture second place through a good overtaking manoeuvre.”

#10 – Daniel Abt (Kempten)
"Particularly my fourth place at the first race was a good step in the right direction. Although a podium result was within reach at some stages of the race I also had lots of pressure from behind. Seventh place on Saturday afternoon wasn’t so great but on Sunday things were going a little better again. On the whole, I’m pleased with the weekend.”

Please find attached results and points’ standings from Hockenheim.