PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Service Interval Display

J_B204
01-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi Guys,

Just finished cleaning my 3 day old pride and joy - an A4 Avant 2.0TDI quattro technik. Checking the service interval (it has 442 miles on the clock) and this is what it says:

Next oil change in 9100 mi / 728 days
Next inspection 18800 mi / 728 days

Service booklet has the extended service box ticked.

Am a bit confused, surely the next (1st) service is in 18800 miles - why is it saying 9100 mi for an oil change? If it was incorrectly set at 12 monthly servicing surely the days should read 362?

Thanks in advance for the help, just off to take a couple of pics and post them in another thread :)

Red 2
02-05-2011, 09:04 AM
After my 08 1.8T 160 had it's second service a couple of months ago at 36k miles, my service interval display said the same. Once I noticed it,I queried it with the Audi dealer as the two mileages used to be within a couple of k of each other and I wasn't too happy at paying for an extended mileage service only to find it needed to go back in after 9k.

Was told that a new update had changed the way it calculated the 'mileage until' element for the oil change and it should increase as I drove it.

Very suspicious of the answer but, 3k on, the oil change mileage has increased to 11,800 miles. Watching it closely to see if the 'extended service' isn't quite as extended as it used to be.

J_B204
02-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Red 2,

Thanks for that, I'm going to give Audi Customer Services a call and see what they say too. I agree I'll be none too happy if the 2 services are any more than a couple of k apart, otherwise what is the point of the extended service scheme!

Thanks again.

Niko
02-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Red 2,

Thanks for that, I'm going to give Audi Customer Services a call and see what they say too. I agree I'll be none too happy if the 2 services are any more than a couple of k apart, otherwise what is the point of the extended service scheme!

Thanks again.

My first B8 was the same, oil at 9k and insp around 18k. They offered me the 'variable' servicing which more or less ties oil with insp at 18k or so. It sounds like you may have the fixed oil change, recommended for owners who short journey the majority of time. I have the variable which is fine, 18k miles a year fits with an annual service and oil

J_B204
03-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Red 2,

When you had the service done did your 'oil service' count down from 9k miles and then just reset itself to 11k? Mine has already counted down from 9100 to 8900 despite still saying 724 days until next service. Was wondering if you noticed yours counting down and then it went up again? Already called a couple of dealers - one said it was on variable (because of the 724 days) and another said it was on fixed (because of the 9k miles)...all very confusing!

J_B204
04-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Hopefully this post will help someone. After around 600miles the Oil Service Indicator has reset itself automatically to within 400 miles of the Inspection Service Indicator. I guess the system calibrates itself after a few hundred miles, would have been really useful to know that beforehand - either from the manual (which I have read cover to cover - yes I know I'm sad) or when calling the Audi garage.

Thanks to those that answered, a trip to the dealer is no longer required!

John140
05-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Hi Guys,

Just finished cleaning my 3 day old pride and joy - an A4 Avant 2.0TDI quattro technik. Checking the service interval (it has 442 miles on the clock) and this is what it says:

Next oil change in 9100 mi / 728 days
Next inspection 18800 mi / 728 days

Service booklet has the extended service box ticked.

Am a bit confused, surely the next (1st) service is in 18800 miles - why is it saying 9100 mi for an oil change? If it was incorrectly set at 12 monthly servicing surely the days should read 362?

Thanks in advance for the help, just off to take a couple of pics and post them in another thread :)

I have a similar issue, I just bought a nearly new A4 and it was delivered on the fixed service interval with 9100 miles to go before oil change. I complained about this, as I do a lot of miles and partially buy a car based on extended services. They told me that as all DPF diesels use the same 507 spec oil, I should just reset the oil service when it appears, and just get the car serviced when the inspection comes up.
Audi seem to revel in making things even more confusing than they were before !

J_B204
05-05-2011, 08:37 PM
I logged a query on the Audi Website and less than 24 hrs later the customer services guy called and, although it had sorted itself out, they confirmed with their technical department that the mileage should automatically adjust itself after a few hundred miles.

John140 - I would speak to the Audi dealer again and get the car adjusted to the extended service. Telling you to just reset the oil service indicator is unsatisfactory in my opinion, they said to me that if mine was on fixed they would do it free of charge. Wouldn't think it should take any more than a few minutes.

Red 2
06-05-2011, 11:54 AM
My oil change mileage keeps on increasing.... Up to 11900 miles now, within 4k of service indicator. All very strange...just wish the mpg display would do the same!

sharantdi
07-05-2011, 07:24 AM
if you have VCDS go in to your instrument cluster adaptation and check for oil quality, if it stands number 1 there than this means that your car will tell you to change oil after only 15000 km . If it stands number 2 than your car is programed for longlife oil and oil change will be at 30000km.
I found this when my brother on his Audi A4 tdi got message for oil change after only 15000km. After quick check with VCDS on cluster adaptation for oil quality on his car and mine we found different coding as mentioned above.
We got no answer when Confronting Audi dealer with question why they code cars like this when the label on service book clearly states that the car has long life service....

more often oil change more money for Audi...

Zafi
08-05-2011, 08:18 AM
My car is on Audi finance, when I queried my display the dealer said Audi finance insist on the fixed oil change interval.

Red 2
08-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Given what my display is now showing (mileage to oil change still increasing after 4k travelled since service), oil change will now be at 16k since last extended life service. Showing service at 20k since last service but would expect service/oil change after 17-18k based on last two services so will operate on that basis.

Does however seem a strange way of doing things.

J_B204
09-05-2011, 03:04 PM
My car is on Audi finance, when I queried my display the dealer said Audi finance insist on the fixed oil change interval.

I would have thought they could only insist it was serviced in accordance with the service schedule. if you have time I'd check the finance agreement as it seems to me another case of the dealer fobbing someone off!

B6Andy101
09-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Just coming up for the 4th AVS at 75,000.
Seems to get about 19,600 between services.
Both oil and inspection have always been within 500 miles of each other.