PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Lisowski wins and beats two DTM champions

stuart
30-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Rookie Lisowski wins and beats two DTM champions

A great beginning for Mateusz Lisowski from Poland at the 2011 Volkswagen Scirocco R-Cup season opener: The young Pole won his first race in front of Daniel Lloyd from the UK. Third place went to the 1993 DTM champion Nicola Larini. In total, the two young guns outperformed no less than five DTM legends on the finishers list – including the 1986 DTM champion Kurt Thiim as well as Klaus Niedzwiedz, Johnny Cecotto and Uwe Alzen.

At the race that was marked by numerous duels Lisowski managed to overtake pole sitter Daniel Lloyd shortly after the start. Afterwards, the 20 year-old would not relinquish the lead again through to the finish. Maiken Rasmussen, who is supported by the FIA "Women & Motor Sport” programme for young talents finished in ninth place. Last year’s overall runner-up, Jann-Hendrik Ubben, was struck by misfortune as problems with the gearbox forced him to retire.

Boxing champion meets DTM champions: Sven Ottke congratulates Larini, Thiim and company
In the group of the Legends former Formula 1 racer and 1993 DTM champion Nicola Larini made a strong showing. Thanks to clever tactical use of the push-to-pass button he managed to overtake a few rivals on the final laps and clinch a podium finish. Behind him, Uwe Alzen took fifth place while Johnny Cecotto from grid position 19 pushed forwards to eleventh place, passing half of the field in the process. A nail-biting duel was also fought by the two legends Kurt Thiim and Klaus Niedzwiedz, who had shown some spectacular battles in 2010 at the Lausitzring as well. Unlike last year, Niedzwiedz (15) had a razor-thin lead over Thiim (16) this time.

The first race of the season was also watched by numerous celebrities, including rally icon Michele Mouton, world boxing champion Sven Ottke, who presented the winner’s trophy, actress Anne Wiss and TV host Milka Loff Fernandes.

Kris Nissen, Volkswagen Motorsport Director:
"’Well done’ to the winner Mateusz Lisowski on contesting his first Scirocco R-Cup race. He’s shown a strong performance, as did the runner-up, young Daniel Lloyd. It was a nice and exciting race in ideal conditions. And the field was great too, particularly with the five DTM legends that took part in the race. The Scirocco R-Cup in its second season is again showing that it is a successful mix of great racing action, renowned legends and talented young drivers.”

#25 – Klaus Niedzwiedz (Dortmund)
Qualifying: 15 – race 15: "The car is even clearly better to drive than it was last year when I ran at the Lausitzring. The new rear wing in particular makes the car very stable when you start to hit the brakes. Competing against the other DTM legends here is huge fun. I still had some unfinished business with Kurt Thiim. At Lausitz, he overtook me as late as in the final turn. I paid him back today.”

#26 – Nicola Larini (Lido di Camaiore)
Qualifying: 6 – race 3: "I’m surprised how well the bio natural gas principle is working out. This is a really great thing, which will hopefully be copied by others in future. The car handles in a very neutral way with just slight oversteer. The push-to-pass button is simply great. It should definitely be used in other racing series as well.”

#8 – Mateusz Lisowski (Wieliczka)
Qualifying: 2 –race 1: "If someone had told me before the season that I’d be clinching victory right in the first race, I’d told them they were crazy. I’m extremely happy with my performance. The crucial factor in winning the race was the fact that I managed to get past Daniel Lloyd so quickly. Naturally, I’m very proud to have finished in front of such big names as Nicola Larini, Johnny Cecotto or Kurt Thiim.”