PDA

View Full Version : A4 B8 (Diesel) advice

daled
26-04-2011, 04:31 PM
I am thinking of changing my B7 A4 2.0 TDi 170 BHP quattro for a B8 diesel model and would like any advice (good or bad) regarding this model

What's best, most comfortable, easiest to drive etc and anything to look out for or consider when making the final decision

Thanks in advance

Niko
27-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Hey,

I have been lucky enough to own both the 143 B8 SE and now a 170BHP Sline Special Edition. These were my first Audi's so I cannot compare with previous models. Suffice to say that I am very pleased with both cars but would definately plump for the 170bhp.

I specced the dynamic suspension which offers firm and a softer ride when needed. The dynamic setting feels the same power hike that I witnessed between the 143 and 170. Technically it just 'quickens' the throttle and steering but it does feel a lot nippier.

B&O is a must as is the DAB radio IMHO. I love the car, it has now travelled over 17k miles without a single hitch. In the warm weather I have twice achieved over 700 miles from one tank of fuel, the last time, a longer run, I hit 735 from brim to 10 miles left on the DIS, I reckon it would hit 800 given the right conditions. This was better than the 143, sticking to the speed limit of course!

You will not be disapointed, it will take a lot for me to consider another brand. Best of luck in your deliberations!

dan172
03-05-2011, 10:05 PM
I can't fault the car really, other than the tyres won't be cheap to replace when required!

I don't do long journeys to work, a little over 12mile and 6 of them the engine isn't up to temperature, hence I get a little over 500miles to a tank (V-Power diesel)... On the 12mile journey at 70mph (90% dual carriageway) I see 43 -44mpg on the DIS. So not as good a Niko above. I have the Sline suspension which on B roads can be a bit hard coupled with the 19" alloys and 35 profile tyre.

Hope this helps?

Hammy969
05-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Daled

I currently run a 143 B8 S line with 19". I have also previously run a B7 140 S line.
Key differences:

Mega improvement in refinement.
CR engine is smoother and has a wider power band.
Handling is much better. I always refered to the B7 as a "super tanker" as once you had comitted to the line (in corner) that was it. The B8 is much more adjustable and supple even running the 19".

Before buying previous car I have considred a B** however I had only one choice IMO when I bought the B8. If / when I replace the B8 I would probably go for the 170 or if I was feeling flush possibly a 3.0. It's awsome I had one for the afternoon :Blush:

Ham

B6Andy101
09-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Have covered 75,000 miles in my 143 B8 S-Line with 19"s. Fantastic car (with the exception of creaking door seals but that is covered elsewhere on here).

I have also driven the 170 which is a bit sharper but with the number of miles up and down motorways I was doing I had a few extra options and stick with the 143.

All about personal preference I guess.