PDA

View Full Version : New and thinking of getting an eos

Leekeene
26-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Afternoon all. i been thinking of changing my car for some time now and really think i want a convertible which leaves me with 2 options.

BMW e46 M3 or a VW Eos

i know what your thinking they couldnt be further apart on the scale . long story short im 27 in july and i think im just day dreaming about an m3 and the fact it would be 8 years old is just mad. SOOOO

i have found a 57 plate tdi Eos at my local. been down and looked at it everything looks good and tidy. not the alloys of choice really want the chicago but can buy them after if needed. its done 22,000 miles and full service history. comes with 12 months warrenty. so im struggling to find wrong with it at present.

I joined the forum as im looking for advise and as with most forums the info they portray is of negative situation of leaks ect ect

so here is the first of many questions

1) on a 57 plate am i likely to have bad seals that are going to need replacing soon?

2) how much are seals?

3) What is this Krynox krytonite something oil and where do i get it?

4) any one local to Norwich who might be able to offer assistance if i choose to buy?

5) seen issues with boots leaks and the roof error due to the roof not hitting the stop buttons properly. do all cars suffer with these issues are are they a small minority?

thanks for all your help

lee

Teflon
28-04-2011, 10:49 PM
MY wife's an 07 plate and I understand that there was a change to the seals just before it was manufactured so a 57 should be better too. Mayabe someone who works for a dealer can confirm?

Personally, I'd never buy any convertible that hadn't been garaged through the worst of the winter ice and snow but the only way to be reasonably sure of this is to speak to a previous owner. It's worth spending a lot of time looking at all the seals and making sure that they are in good condition with no cracking or flattening. I wouldn't fancy changing them and they are quite intricate so aren't going to be cheap. We had a roof problem when the car was new (a rattle, not a leak) and this took 6 visits to the dealer and the intervention of VW UK to sort it, so I'd be very wary of trying to get a leak fixed.

I'd also want to turn a pressure washer on the car - the wife's is still perfectly watertight after 4 years and I suspect a problem car would show up. Look for signs of damp in the boot, spare wheel well, the floor inside and around the rear seats. Do a forum search for Krytox but some of the sources people suggested now don't supply. One chap was suggesting using saddle soap.

Two thoughts that are just personal preference. The car is much better if you can get the optional wind deflector, especially if you want to do a couple of hours on a motorway with the lid down. And to my ears, the TDI just doesn't sound right in a drop top so we bought a petrol version. Make sure you have a good, long test drive with the lid down to confirm you are happy with the audio experience.