PDA

View Full Version : Passat CC GT Phone problem

Waylander1970
24-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Had my Passat CC for about a fortnight now, and I'm very happy with it. The only problem I have is the phone button on the multifunction steering wheel. When I press it, it does nothing. I was expecting it to activate the phonebook on the screen or something. The phone works fine with the touchscreen, but what's the point of steering wheel controls if they do nowt?
Can't find any reference in the phone system manual, so I'm a bit stuck.

Hellllpppppp please.

:1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp::zx11:

JonMarsh
24-04-2011, 08:53 PM
This is mentioned on the New arrivals thead (page 6):

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=112484&page=6

It appears the RNS315 does not work through the MFD (and I assume the steering wheel). I think the earlier RNS310 worked because it had a special bluetooth phone preparation kit - the 315 comes with it's own bluetooth and is not well integrated with the MFD.

Waylander1970
24-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Sounds about right for VW if the last 8 months of experiences is anything to go by. So we have defunct buttons to not use. Fab.

hartry
25-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Sounds about right for VW if the last 8 months of experiences is anything to go by. So we have defunct buttons to not use. Fab.

It answers an incoming call.

FastEddieVW
25-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Have you tried scrolling through the MFD with the RHS controls? When you get to where it displays your connected phone, press down and you'll get a load more options

hartry
25-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Have you tried scrolling through the MFD with the RHS controls? When you get to where it displays your connected phone, press down and you'll get a load more options

Not with the 315 it doesn't - the phone menu is missing from the MFD completely.

Waylander1970
26-04-2011, 01:04 AM
I couldn't even find how to change the name ordering option to list first names at the beginning. So much easier through the mfd.

rmccardal
26-04-2011, 10:33 PM
That is not cool!

Gregmeister
06-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Hartry, how dificult would it be to retrofit the required bluetooth unit and get the inbuilt bluetooth on the 315. Do you know the part numbers required?

Pirate983
31-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Guys, bit of an old thread but an interesting update I have. I took delivery on 23/6/11 of Passat CC GT with RNS315 and guess what? Yep, the steering controls don't funstion with the phone when connected, neither does it appear anywhere in the MFD. **Now here's the interesting bit**. My Dad took delivery of his identical Passatt CC GT to mine end July 2011 and guess what? Yep - his phone can be operated on the steering wheel and it appears in the MFD!!! Went to VW dealer today to be looked at and it has them foxed. Nobody knew what was wrong and why my Dads worked and mine doesn't. There was no additional option for a more premium Bluetooth phone kit on the cars when we ordered. Have the car booked back with VW in couple of weeks so a more 'techie' person can look at it. I am not holding my breath with this. Anyone else having this prob?

Gregmeister
01-09-2011, 08:24 AM
That is interesting ... keep us posted!

Scooby-Doo
02-09-2011, 10:53 AM
VW updated the phone & Satnav systems on the CC recently, cars built after a certain date (I think it was May/June) with the RNS 315 now have 7 digit postcode option and the MFD now has the phone options on it.So it depends on when the cars were built if you have the new spec.I have asked my dealer about upgrading to 7 digit postcode but was told it would be about £150 so I won't bother.

Gregmeister
02-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Scooby, would that also include the additional phone integration? or just the satnav upgrade? 7-digit postcode would be soooooo usefuly in my daily work.

Scooby-Doo
02-09-2011, 11:58 AM
additional phone integration

I think they have to install a new module to get the phone/MFD display to work,more £££ unfortunately.Generally I'm quite happy with the way the phone works,I try not to dial out unless it's urgent,and I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't use your phone whilst driving,even receiving calls,as I find it totally distracts me from concentrating on the road.(I'm office based so I don't spend a lot of time in my car)

Pirate983
02-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Hey Scooby-Doo. Thanks for the update - much more informative than my local VW dealership. They were absolutely gobsmacked and didn't have a clue what could be the problem. When I checked my manuals against my Dads his were 2011 edition whereas mine were late 2010, despite my car being built April/May 2011!!!??? My Dads was built 1 month later so must have the updated system - bummer! Also, interestingly I have a button on the left side of my centre console (near the gear shift) for tyre pressure reset whereas my Dad doesn't have that button. His tyre reset is now accessed through the MFD system.Hey ho, I suppose I have to resign myself to settling for a lesser Bluetooth connection but as Scooby-Doo says nobody should be distracted from driving and making a call while driving - good comment. I will, however, take pride in contacting the dealership next to cancel my revisit and tell them what the issue is but will ask if it can be upgraded free. What do you guys reckon? Yep, can't see them doing that

FastEddieVW
04-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Sounds like your Dad has the RF sensor system for Digital Tyre Pressure Monitoring, yours will have the standard ABS setup.

Gregmeister
08-09-2011, 04:55 PM
I spoke to my local VW Dealership yesterday and they told me the system couldnt be installed in older cars, even if they came fitted with the RNS315 rather than the RNS310 ...... If anyone successfully has it installed, could you please let me know so I can go back to the dealers and give them a slap :)

ednaroad
09-09-2011, 06:24 PM
I spoke to my local VW Dealership yesterday and they told me the system couldnt be installed in older cars, even if they came fitted with the RNS315 rather than the RNS310 ...... If anyone successfully has it installed, could you please let me know so I can go back to the dealers and give them a slap :)

Mine was serviced today and I got the same response. I also was told there was nothing they could do regarding the Satnav postcodes. I also noticed on the way home that the next service interval on the MFD is 10K instead of 18K? not sure why but i'll ring and ask.

hartry
09-09-2011, 09:40 PM

Of course it can be. It's just a matter of how much you're willing to spend. It could be that it requires a new CECM or cluster or even a new stereo or God knows what. I guarantee you it can be done but it's just a question of what needs upgrading. If someone with the new system can post a full VCDS scan I reckon we could work it out...

Passat Sport
10-09-2011, 07:34 AM
Of course it can be. It's just a matter of how much you're willing to spend. It could be that it requires a new CECM or cluster or even a new stereo or God knows what. I guarantee you it can be done but it's just a question of what needs upgrading. If someone with the new system can post a full VCDS scan I reckon we could work it out...
I pressed the matter with my dealer ref the RNS315 on my Passat saloon. They showed me the formal response from VW. VW technical state that the 7 digit postcode update was fitted from model year 2012 RNS315 units only. "It is currently not possible to update previous models of RNS315". My dealer thought that it might be something to do with licensing issues.

When deciding on the car I was told about the 5 digit issue but also that an upgrade was in the pipeline. I might have had to pay, but to be told that they can't do it is totally unacceptable.

I've just posted in the B7 section on the subject (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?124199-RNS315-StNav-and-7-digit-postcodes) and will be writing to VW. No point in phoning, either no-one knows anything or you just get BS.

hartry
12-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Have them install the 2012 model RNS315! Of course it's possible.

Gregmeister
13-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Well, funny you should mention that Hartry, I'm having problems with radio reception on my current RNS315 head unit and I'm going to suggest they install a new unit to see if it solves the problem :D