PDA

View Full Version : Sqealing noise, Power Steering??

TDi_B5
08-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Whilst turning the car around the other day, it made a quite loud squealing noise for about 3-5 seconds. (the kind you associate with loose fan belts and power steering) It has since done this another two times, accompanied at least once with a smell like something is burning or getting hot. I've checked the power steering fluid, which is fine. Then on the way home tonight, it made the noise whilst driving (in a straight line) but it also hesitated slighty, it was as if for a second someone was pulling the car back as I was driving it along. Nothing became of it, it didn't loose power, sqeal, or anything?

I have also just cleared a fault code, which showed itself by the glow plug warning light coming on, apparently caused by a brake light shorting out, just incase that has any bearing on the above.

Got a 360+ mile trip coming up, so would like piece of mind driving up!

TDi_B5
08-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Quick update, had a look this morning and one of the auxilary belts has shreaded itself, so either the air con pump or tensioner has seized, I hope its the latter!

MalcQV
09-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Good luck, and lets hope it is the latter.

bertie
11-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Sounds like the pulley on the alternator, I had the same.

Cost me £180 for alternator recondition, new pulley & new regulator, but you could just get a new pulley for about £40

Bertie

Col
11-07-2007, 05:11 PM
If it is when on full lock, you my have a problem with one of the pressure relief valves on the steering rack.

TDi_B5
11-07-2007, 06:58 PM
No, my problem was the belt on the air con pump which runs off the crankshaft pulley. The belt broke up, possibly because the air con pump died or the pulley seized, but both appear to move ok when turned by hand. For the minute it makes no odds to me as the air con lost its gas a while ago so I haven't been using it anyway. It won't affect the car in any way (just the air con) which I'm glad about. The other belts seem fine, some fine specs of broken/melted belt have scattered themselves about, but I've managed to clear most of them.