PDA

View Full Version : Should my Sharan VR6 Carat 1998 have Remote locking

dynamite71
21-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Can anyone tell me if my VW Sharan VR6 Carat 1998 should have Remote central locking. It has central locking fitted but all I got when i bought it was one key?

shane14
27-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Can anyone tell me if my VW Sharan VR6 Carat 1998 should have Remote central locking. It has central locking fitted but all I got when i bought it was one key?
I have just bought a Sharan myself. 1998 2.0s. I only got a key too! Aparently you should get a key fob for the locking and you can get a replacement and people sell them on ebay! but then you have to have it programmed to your car or something and i don't know how easy or expensive that is!

adamss24
28-10-2006, 11:27 AM
The only way its to scan the car and see the coding for the CCM module and if the car has only front power windows then see the codding for the Central Locks Module as many cars came in base speck but its no difficult to upgrade to remote fob locking. Hold the key to the full lock in the lock possition with the front windows open...if they roll up then its possible to instal a fob,just needs programming for the immo to recognise the key and the alarm to recognise the radio sygnal from the key fob. Also see if the alarm works ok !

adamss24
28-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Beware of ebay key fobs as many are defective and you have to make shure you get a compatible key fob. They have to be programmed to the immo and alarm and thats beyond DIY mechanic as you need diagnostic equipment Vag-com or similar. Dealers charge about 140 for a new key fob and programming all the keys. You could get key blades of ebay and seperate fobs/used ones but you have to get the exact one(part numbers are inside the fob where the batteryes are) and pray that it works/ECU will recognise as they were ones that cannot be programmed. And they are not that cheap either. Add programming and cutting the key and the dealer charge its not that far..plus you have peace of mind...Good luck.