PDA

View Full Version : Lovely weather, shame about the aircon

theblacksurge
20-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Oh no... Worst thing has happened, we get some wonderfull warm weather and my 3 zone aircon has stopped working, it just kicks out warm air.
Even worse Audi can't get it booked in for a month, they are too busy.

Plugged in the VCDS and it gves a 'temperature/pressure incorrect' fault.

Anybody had a similar problem ? I'm wondering if it might be something simple.

You just don't realise how much you take aircon for granted, driving is so uncomfortable without it.

Red 2
23-04-2011, 07:19 AM
Me too, know what a spit roasted chicken feels like. In for a recall in a couple of weeks so will hopefully get it sorted then.

a8 tech
23-04-2011, 07:32 AM
known problems

1. The pressure sensor G395 / G65 of the air conditioning does not work.(improved sensor)

2. LIN cable from power system control unit J519 to pressure sensor G395 interrupted.(broken wire)

3. The pressure sensor G395 shows incorrect or implausible entries (improved sensor)

in most cases the lin bus wire needs re routing and also the pressure sensor requires replacing, the sensor can be replaced without degas it is situated near the nsf headlight behind the bumper upper cover on the condenser

aaudi4
23-04-2011, 07:49 AM
buy 1 of those plug in fans usually get from a petrol station for about £3.99. you will hardly notice air con not working............honestly

a8 tech
23-04-2011, 07:56 AM
ha ha ha ha ha

ScottyUK
23-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Since you've got VCDS the make sure you enable this : http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagCom_AuxVent.html

It won't help much when driving but as least you can ensure you get the air blown through before you get back to a sweaty hot car ;)

theblacksurge
23-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Since you've got VCDS the make sure you enable this : http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagCom_AuxVent.html

It won't help much when driving but as least you can ensure you get the air blown through before you get back to a sweaty hot car ;)

Cheers, I'll give that a go.

ScottyUK
23-04-2011, 10:14 AM
My aircon works but I still use it. If I know roughly when I'm gonna be back to the car it means I can put the kids straight in rather than standing waiting for it to cool down .

;)

Red 2
23-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks A8 , looks like it might be an early test for the extended warranty!

Took the A4 to the south of France a couple of years ago and the air con coped extremely well with temps in the mid 30's so suspicions were aroused when the North West weather proved too much last week. :biglaugh:

Guess I'm the only one hoping for cool weather for the next couple of weeks....:D

SunnyBard
23-04-2011, 04:40 PM
we get some wonderful warm weather and my 3 zone aircon has stopped working. Even worse Audi can't get it booked in for a month, they are too busy.

Bad timing! But pretty poor show that they can't book it in for a month, I'd be complaining heavily about that ...

Noticed a couple of things about the "ECO" display on the DIS today, it warns you when you've got the windows down with the aircon still on (fair enough) but it also warns you about air resistance when you exceed 60mph with the windows wound down too ... what's next a heavy right foot warning :p ?

EdwardNR
23-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Arg, just had my new ('08) A4 3.0 TDI delivered by the dealer this morning, drove off to a wedding only to discover the aircon doesn't work for me too!!

Now I'm stuck with a moving sauna for two days while I wait for the dealer to re-open after the hols.

Needless to say it's being driven in to Northampton Audi first thing Tuesday and being left with them until fixed!!

So the Audi 1 140 point used car check didn't cover something as simple as aircon...

Not a happy new Audi owner :(

Like the idea of the auxiliary heater/cooling thing though - think VAG COM is going to be a must for me.

Guest 2
23-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Obvious but is the AC button illuminated? Lol

I ask because the A4 loaner I had, you had to press AC for the aircon to come on even though the temperatures were on screen

J_B204
23-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Had a seat Ibiza hire car last week, same deal with the climate control. you set the temp with the buttons and the system tried it's best to achieve that temperature but failed miserably until I pressed the AC button!

ScottyUK
23-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Like the idea of the auxiliary heater/cooling thing though - think VAG COM is going to be a must for me.

Just be aware that there's no real aux heater so you can't select that option. All you can do it blow residual engine hear through the car.

The cooling works well. I took my son to a birthday party today which started at 13:00 and finished at 15:30 so a real hot part of the day.

I set the car to blow the air for 60 mins from 14:45. The air being blown was ambient air so it wasn't cold but it certainly didn't have the feeling of getting in an oven ;)

Red 2
23-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Bit like when the PC breaks down and you stare at the blank screen willing it to work again, loss of AC has you staring at the still illuminated AC button hoping that by some miracle the scirocco like gales blowing through the vents will somehow change to the usual gentle blast of chilled air.

In our case, system seems to turn fan to max in futile attempt to get the internal temp down to required level. A4 passengers to oven chips in about 40 mins...:D

EdwardNR
23-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Yep, A/C switch was on and my brother (bike mechanic) checked the fuses and all working so something altogether more complicated sadly. Can't believe the driver who delivered it didn't notice it so can only assume it broke when he arrived or he 'chose' not to mention it!

Thanks for the heads up ScottyUK, sounds very similar to the BMW system. How come it can be enabled if there is no extra kit in the car?

Cheers

a8 tech
23-04-2011, 08:46 PM
by coding but be aware of the current consumption on the battery as no doubt the battery manger will pick this up as closed current exceeding 30 milliamp

sorry to spoil the vag com twiddler's party lol

ScottyUK
23-04-2011, 09:24 PM
You're right that we twiddle without the full understanding or appreciation of implications however I've not seen any posts with any downsides to the mod.

Have you seen problems due to it?

Due to the power management it actually makes me more confident with this mod.

Is this misguided confidence?

a8 tech
23-04-2011, 09:30 PM
the manger will cope with it and you can test this in address 09 adaptions, i posted this on blacksurges battery drain post

its just the closed circuit current will increase if the fan blower is operating to circulate the cabin air but as long as its time restricted then recuperation will maintain the battery

don't forget the cars battery loading and alternator are designed for the build status so by inducing a closed circuit current your creating a battery drain

how much i do not know but you could test it as mentioned

Legs
23-04-2011, 09:52 PM
In Shetland I've only used my aircon once, and that was to check it was still working...........................

:biglaugh:

theblacksurge
23-04-2011, 10:55 PM
I tried the aux ventillation and it did help a bit, thanks.
Today I drove with the temperature selector turned right down to Low expecting just to have cooler air from outside blowing in, but instead found that red hot air from the engine is being blown through the vents.

It does sound like the sensor issue a8tech mentioned.

I so can't wait to get it fixed.
:firedevil

Red 2
24-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Got it sussed, plastic surgery threatening a/c temps are Audi's cunning way to prepare us for the bank holiday tradition of flames, singed eyebrows etc. from the great British barbie.....:D

EdwardNR
29-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Got mine fixed at last and it was the pressure sensor, so could be a common fault perhaps?

Finally can drive the car in more than shorts :)

Edd

A1exp
29-04-2011, 12:57 PM
I've just had the car in for the air conditioning only blowing warm air.

I originally booked an AC service but when I told them the issue they immediately changed it to a free warranty fix and seemed to know exactly what it would be.

I had one of the temp sensors replaced and my lovely cold air is now back!

Red 2
01-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Managed to cook the inlaws today on a long trip thanks to the unbroken sunshine and the A4 deciding that we really didn't want any cool air. Really wears you down...temp rather than mother in law of course,ahem.

Word of warning to anyone whose car is nearing end of warranty...diagnostics check this coming Friday is £99 for a start. My car is a month outside warranty but I've an extended warranty with Warranty Direct who will reimburse the diagnostics cost. Even had the a/c serviced last month pre-failure but at least it keeps me on the right side of the warranty requirements.

Red 2
06-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Yup, pressure sensor was the culprit in our car. Looking forward to cool air again...oh hang on....it's cold outside! Hmmm..need warm air now.

a8 tech
07-05-2011, 02:55 PM
sounds like a super efficient dealer there lol

theblacksurge
17-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Just for the record, it was the pressure sensor, new one fitted and system re-gassed under warranty.

Red 2
21-05-2011, 06:08 AM
Back from Warrington Audi,all fixed with it's new pressure sensor and Warranty Direct picking up the costs. Sounds like WD have a few B8 A4s going through with the same repair at the moment.

Temp set at 'LO' when I started it up. Dear lordy, had forgotten how cold the air con could be! Now just need some warm weather.