PDA

View Full Version : Throttle body TDI fault after remapping

MR_TIKNO
20-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Hi i am hoping someone can help answer this as i have been hunting high and low for a previous topic with no joy.I have a 2004 A3 tdi 140 BKD i had a 2006 engine fitted around 2 years ago due to porus head... and at the time of fitting i also had the car remapped.
Recently i have noticed oil leaking around the throttle body and fuse F8 in the board was blown, seems strange as no fault warning lights are showing on the dash. After speaking to a friend at Vw he informed me this is a common fault on remapped tdi's as the throttle body cannot handle the extra bhp he mentioned the car will not run as economical or to optimum performance until this is fixed.
My car still seems responsive and keeps up with S3s although come to think of it there is no longer the tearing turbo noise that it had when i first had it remapped.

The Throttle body in my car is a 038128063G does anyone know if there is an upgraded unit that will work?

Cheers mat

kite
20-04-2011, 11:42 AM
A diesel does not have a TB

MR_TIKNO
20-04-2011, 12:03 PM
This: http://www.ms-motor-service.com/ximages/pg_si_0095_en_web.pdf

Throttle valve / body / regulator

cheers

kite
20-04-2011, 12:06 PM
you could remove and clean the EGR/anti-shudder valve.

MR_TIKNO
20-04-2011, 12:21 PM
I am not sure this will fix the problem it mentions in that link that cleaning will not help the problem. I can imagine the higher pressure from remapping has put strain on the motor component so even a new one is more than likely to fail after a while.
I have found a BMN version for a 170 bhp A3 and it looks identical except the part number is 03G128063B i wonder if this will work and is designed for the extra power no harm in testing it i guess.

shiny1
26-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Hi. How did you go on with the 03G128063B version? I've got similar problem and am tempted to replace with different version if it works.

Cheers - Shiny

MR_TIKNO
26-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Hmm i failed to notice the 5 pin connector on the 170 throttle body compared to the 4 pin on my original so no it wont fit, am currently investigating allard egr delete system they are only around £60 although i need to find out if fitting this will cause an ecu fault.
From what i gather the standard throttle valves fail when oil is squeezed through them this can be either from a faulty turbo or excessive hard driving, im guessing mine is the turbo from the howling noise it makes so i may need to upgrade this too. Will post up any info when it happens!

cheers matt

shiny1
27-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Cheers for the update Matt.

I've seen quite a lot of the 03G128063B available and was very tempted to try one on mine but, thanks to your update, I'll just have to put my hand deeper in the pocket and get the proper one to replace mine.

Many thanks - Shiny