PDA

View Full Version : uk full postcode entry on sat nav

moomoo
20-04-2011, 09:38 AM
i have a mar '10 cc with a rns510 sat nav. This does not allow full post code entry. I have heard that the latest sat navs from VW allow this.

Is it possible to upgrade the software on my sat nav to allow full post code entry - and if so what discs do I need to do this.

Thanks

Issac Hunt
20-04-2011, 12:28 PM
You need version v7 of the map DVD

skyliner1232002
20-04-2011, 01:18 PM
I am due to take delivery of my CC in early May.

This will feature the now standard rns315 unit, does this mean that full post codes are used on this?

Currently have Insignia SRI on loan and have to say the sat nav on it is really quite good (uses full post codes).

Thanks

Skyliner

ednaroad
20-04-2011, 08:07 PM
[QUOTE=skyliner1232002;637513]I am due to take delivery of my CC in early May.

This will feature the now standard rns315 unit, does this mean that full post codes are used on this?

Currently have Insignia SRI on loan and have to say the sat nav on it is really quite good (uses full post codes).

Thanks

Skyliner[/QUOTE)

No postcodes at all! Its all done with street names, junctions and house numbers

hartry
21-04-2011, 01:36 AM
No postcodes at all! Its all done with street names, junctions and house numbers

Eh? The 315 certainly does do postcodes but only five digits.

Gregmeister
21-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Eh? The 315 certainly does do postcodes but only five digits.

Hartry is correct, when you go to the option to select town name, simply enter the first 5 digits of the post code instead of the name of the town. then it lets you search the street names available for that 5 digit postcode. Its a very odd way of doing things and nowhere near as user friendly as the TomTom or Garmin portable satnavs ... but then I love the cact you dont need to worry about some toe-rag breaking in to you car to stealing it

ednaroad
21-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Whenever i've tried to enter a postcode on mine i get nothing and end up having to enter street names.

Gregmeister
21-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Whenever i've tried to enter a postcode on mine i get nothing and end up having to enter street names.

Will post up pics of how my one works later :)

Pixiedemon
21-04-2011, 06:28 PM
The sat nav definitely has the 5 digit postcode entry. I've heard it's because in Germany the postcodes are only 5 digits, so the sat nav software hasn't been fully adapted for the uk. The sat nav must have been developed with that mindset, as when our german expat colleagues came over, they couldn't get over the fact that a uk postcode narrows an address to about 15 houses give or take. (amongst a list of other UK-Germany differences like being able to mow the lawn on Sundays and wash your car on your drive).

Another negative is that I'm not sure how up to date the maps are or how to update the maps. My home address is in a field as far as the unit is concerned (house was built 4 years ago and my tom-tom has the street). On the other hand the unit does have the new Cabot circus centre in Bristol which is newer than my house.

I would really like full postcode entry, but on the plus side the vw satnav is much better than the tom-tom at picking up places of interest like hotels etc andd this feature so far is working well.

JonMarsh
22-04-2011, 11:17 AM
I am due to take delivery of my CC in early May.

I've got to wait 'til July for mine! For info, earlier in the year I had been searchng for a manual for the 315 but with no luck. However, I've just found one - I'm not sure if the link's been posted on this forum before but it can be found on the www.myturbodiesel.com (http://www.myturbodiesel.com) forum (has both the 315 and 510). The link to the thread is:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f15/rns-315-rns-510-audi-rns-3-nav-system-user-manual-pdf-4840/

FastEddieVW
22-04-2011, 05:48 PM
I have the RNS-510 with v7 software for UK & Ireland alongwith Europe. I have the disc too; might try and copy it later on! ;)

cullinp
22-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Had my CC for two weeks, I've got the 5 digit working fine but it's ample at best.

No discs delivered with the car, I'll be speaking to Mr Lease company regarding my discs.......version 7 needed. How do I check the current version?

rmccardal
22-04-2011, 10:21 PM
You'll go on my christmas card list if you do!!

I have the RNS-510 with v7 software for UK & Ireland alongwith Europe. I have the disc too; might try and copy it later on! ;)

hartry
23-04-2011, 08:40 AM
You'll go on my christmas card list if you do!!

x2 if you can make an iso and upload it to rapidshare or something that would be ace

gazza57
16-12-2013, 02:35 PM
pixiedemon,

I wouldn't bother, the SAT Nav is pants

it only accepts 5 digit postcodes because the entire european set of countries have 5 digit postcodes except of course in good ol' blighty.

the result a half baked satnav that is neither fish or fowl, it's just an afterthought, badly conceived but marketed here in he UK with a lookup table to match the five digits, these 5 digit codes merely give you a set of street names, the postcodes were copyright of the post office here and audi didn't want to pay for the right to use them, so they came up with this cheap solution that isn't fit for purpose.

Apart from that its routings are insane, I recently had to travel to southampton from Birmingham but we couldn't use the a34 because it was closed, the route it gave me was astonishing, M1 to High Wycombe then M25 clockwise around the dartford tunnel then past Gatwick onto M3 199 miles!!!!!

Took no notice of that, dropped off M1 then went down over M4 reading A33 to basingstoke M3 139 miles, recently had to travel from basingstoke to kings somborne route I took down to winchester then A34 A30 to kingds somborne 39 miles, the route it gave me M3, M27 A3057 67 miles, garbage. disc updates for streets cost a fortune can get a tomtom with lifetime upgrades for a fraction of this street disc

bought a tomtom naturally.

Gazza57

hartry
16-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Just for completeness, my March '13 CC with RNS-315 does full (7 digit) postcode search, it's much better than the old system.

gazza57
17-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Audi could have produced an upgrade disc so you could have 7 digit postcode entry like their much cheaper counterparts, but to be perfectly candid they couldn't care a jot, 5 digit satnav not worth a penneth of urine.
Its so far behind the times, there isn't even a 3D display, this is basically a 1999 model satnav at 2013 prices

Gazza57