PDA

View Full Version : Fatigue Detection

The Fingers
19-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Well it gave me my first two warnings on Saturday.

Was at a loose end all the kids were sleeping at friends (nice) so we packed off for a trip to Blackpool (what for i hear you ask) well thought i would show off my gleaming white beast down the golden mile. Typical most of the front road is closed!!!

On the way back i was trying to get a really good MPG on the motorway trip back home (60 miles) sat at 60 with cruise on (62.4 mpg dis not calced), i was very still on a long straight stretch and it popped up with one (yes one) bing and a sign which looked like a cup of coffee in the DIS.

Would that have woke me up if i was dropping off...............NO, i was expecting 'BONG BONG BONG WAKE UP YOU ARE GOING TO DIE'

Worst thing was i wasnt even tired as i had just had a McDonalds MUD coffee before i set off back with the can of redbull in the wings!!!

Fatigue detection ---------- FAIL!!!!

D4D
23-04-2011, 08:06 AM
I could be wrong as I haven't picked up my car yet, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that you get the coffee cup and the bong after 2 hours behind the wheel without a break.

The fatigue detection apparently let's go With loads of bongs and jiggles the wheel, which I think would wake you up and necessitate a change of underwear ;)

pussaty
07-05-2011, 12:36 PM
It's actually as basic as originally described. No wheel jiggles or bongs, just a beep and a message on MFD.

D4D
08-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Thought I would do some research, It turns out it's a mixture between the 2. Below is what I've found out about it, copied straight from t'net:

"Fatigue Detection

What is referred to as a Fatigue Detection system is being introduced for the first time in a Volkswagen, and it is a first in its class. The system detects waning driver concentration and warns the driver with an acoustic signal lasting five seconds; a visual message also appears in the instrument cluster recommending that the driver take a break from driving. If the driver does not take a break within the next 15 minutes, the warning is repeated. The rationale here: a full 25 percent of all motorway accidents can be attributed to over-tiredness of drivers – especially on long and monotonous stretches.

Fatigue detection counteracts this situation. Right at the beginning of each car trip, the system analyses the driver’s characteristic steering behaviour. Underway, the fatigue detection system then continually evaluates signals such as steering angle, use of pedals and transverse acceleration. If monitored parameters indicate a deviation from the steering behaviour recorded at the beginning of the trip, then visual and acoustic warnings are output. Independent of this monitoring, whenever the system is activated it recommends a driving break to the driver after four hours of continuous driving.

This assistance system does not output warnings in acute cases of microsleep; instead, the fatigue detection system focuses on detecting early phases of lapses in concentration."

The same website pointed me in the direction of a youtube clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r48eoU0HAS0

Does any one speak German ?? the first instance is at 1min 11 secs & the second at 2min 12 secs, it does look as if the wheel moves... perhaps you have to have the optional park assist ? I don't know, see what you think.

If anybody has more info' please share :)

The Fingers
09-05-2011, 09:46 AM
I can confirm as in my first post it is just a simple bong and coffee cup which repeats after 15 mins.

The warning is just like the one for running out of washer fluid or fuel low with a steaming cup on screen for about 5 secs. The audiable noise is only two bongs.

I was expecting 'BONG BONG BONG WAKE UP YOU ARE GOING TO DIE' but No!!!!

The actual warning is pretty much the same as the 'driving 2 hours warning'

I wasn't even tired and was wired on caffine, it also only works with the cruise control on as far as i am aware and only if the road you are on is pretty much straight.

Great Idea!!! in practice maybe needs a re think.

7Black
22-03-2015, 01:21 AM
I've had the little coffee cup appear with a warning chime twice only in one night after driving nearly 14 hours with several breaks along the trip. Driven many 6 hour stints without a break & no warning, so it's not time based. I will say it's subtle but does alert you. |-)