PDA

View Full Version : Front door needs to be slammed...

TDiBoraSam
07-07-2007, 07:39 PM
I had a problem with the front OS door. It wouldnt shut unless slammed pretty hard. The dealer replaced the locking mechanism, but the problem still persists, and now the door creaks when I go over bumps or accelerate/brake etc.

The dealer says that the door is sometimes hard to shut because the door seals are so new (the car is over 3 years old, and the seals are the original ones!) They have had the car twice and failed to sort the problem out.

The locking mechanism is well greased etc, but the door handle has a pretty rough action, and sometimes is quite stiff.

Any ideas what I can do to solve the prob? I don't want to strip the door down unless I know I'll have a good chance of being able to sort the prob.

Veedubber
09-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Do you have to slam it because it's not quite level? Or because it's like there's something stuck in the door - like if you'd, I don't know, a towel hanging out of the car and tried to shut the door? If you almost close it, will it not close with a push? A push while holding open the handle?

TDiBoraSam
09-07-2007, 08:08 PM
It appears level, and there's no play in the hinges or anything. I can't see anything wrong with it. When it's closed with a 'normal' closing action, the locking mechanism kind of half catches. Sometimes it takes upto 4 attempts to get it to close.

The door handle action isn't smooth, it's rough and needs quite a lot of pressure to open it. I thought the lock needed greasing, but that hasn't cured it.

When travelling, there's a creaking coming from the locking mechanism area, but this has only started since VW replaced the lock!

There must be something misaligned somewhere.

prolfe
09-07-2007, 08:30 PM
It appears level, and there's no play in the hinges or anything. I can't see anything wrong with it. When it's closed with a 'normal' closing action, the locking mechanism kind of half catches. Sometimes it takes upto 4 attempts to get it to close.

The door handle action isn't smooth, it's rough and needs quite a lot of pressure to open it. I thought the lock needed greasing, but that hasn't cured it.

When travelling, there's a creaking coming from the locking mechanism area, but this has only started since VW replaced the lock!

There must be something misaligned somewhere.

A good bodyshop will have that fixed in minutes. But don't watch them do it because it's not pretty.

Golf/Bora doors drop over time due to wind/use etc etc. They have to be re-alligned to the mechanism. My MKIII golf was the same.

a8 tech
09-07-2007, 08:49 PM
The lower hinge bends but it isnt that easy to spot.Replace the lower hinge and adjust the door,also the noise from the new lock assembly is due to the lower hinge pushing the lock out of alingment with the striker.

rashcupra
09-07-2007, 09:25 PM
the catch needs adjusting if the problem persists then the ddor needs to be adjusted with forse :) litrally bend/twist the door to shut better

prolfe
09-07-2007, 09:31 PM
the catch needs adjusting if the problem persists then the ddor needs to be adjusted with forse :) litrally bend/twist the door to shut better

That's why it's best not to go and watch.

rashcupra
09-07-2007, 09:54 PM
prob not best to watch no lol i work in accident repair (bodyshop) and ive seen some shocking ways to get a car door to shut nice :(

prolfe
09-07-2007, 09:59 PM
prob not best to watch no lol i work in accident repair (bodyshop) and ive seen some shocking ways to get a car door to shut nice :(

Is that why they all have big hands and big feet? :D

rashcupra
09-07-2007, 10:02 PM
you know what they say about big feet ;) lol great trade to be in get all stuff done on your car for peanuts :)

prolfe
09-07-2007, 10:05 PM
you know what they say about big feet ;) lol great trade to be in get all stuff done on your car for peanuts :)

Big Socks

:)

Must be great never to have to pay for using the equipment. My brother in law is a bodyshop owner.

TDiBoraSam
10-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

The car is going to a different dealer tomorrow. I will mention the hinges to them. The first people to look at it discounted a hinge problem altogether and just changed the lock..now it's worse than before.

There is a clicking noise coming from the hinges when the door is in the first stages of being opened.

rashcupra
10-07-2007, 05:15 PM
big socks lol! is great owning your equipment too :)

ebyrahim
13-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi,
I hope someone can help, its long story as you can see but basically my door doesn't shut properly as it used to.

I bought a Mk5 3-dr golf from Cargiant(big second-hand trader in London) and didn't notice that the driver side door does not flush properly and the door skin was slightly coming apart next to the n/s wing(I know how stupid of me), HOWEVER I had no problem of shutting the door. I took the car back to Cargiant a few days later to get the door aligned, they said there was a bolt in the door missing so they did that and fixed the alignment. When I got the car back I realised that after the repair the door doesn't close as easy as it used to but you have to use extra force and slam it to make sure it shuts properly rather than pull on the hinge. They had a look at it and tried to fix it but couldn't figure out what was the problem. The interesting thing they discovered is if you have a window or the boot open then the door shuts easily with no problems. This could be something to do with the air compression inside the car. They basically told me there is nothing they can do!!! But they are bloody stupid ones who caused the problem in the first place when they fixed the door. Please can anyone offer any advice?? Has anyone experienced any similar problems??
:aargh4::aargh4:

rashcupra
25-12-2007, 09:53 PM
the door skins are bolted on on the mk5 doors the actual door frame needs adjusting at the striker on the inside of the door shut on the 1/4 pannel when you open the door! or the rubbers need aligning! could be alot of things. BUT MOST CERTAINLY CAN BE CORRECTED and they CAN do something about it dont be fooled!