PDA

View Full Version : 2.0CR TDi B7 Manual Vs B7 DSG Vs B6 DSG

logiclee
18-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Where do I start, tried a B7 SE 2.0CR Tdi 140 manual a few weeks ago and today my 2010 B6 2.0CR Tdi 140 DSG was in for it's first service and I had a B7 SE 2.0CR Tdi 140 DSG for the day.

So first general differences, not driving. SE V's Highline.
Ok not going into the exterior styling as that's for all to see, from the inside the steering wheel, dash, instrumentation and plastics are all the same apart from the new clock and repositioned switches and the chrome around the vents. The 2010 B6 did get the upgraded dash though.
The door cards are totally different and are a step up in materials used, the hard plastic has been replaced.
I'll start by saying seats are personal preference.
The seats of course have been changed, I like the new seats but would want leather, the seat base is more slopey but the wings are too wide to offer my little bum any support. My wife doesn't like slopey seats and doesn't like the new seats, my last 4 cars have had electric tilt adjustement and heated leather (Cooled on 1 as well). For the B7 I'd be forced to go down that option which would probably force me into a Sport cost wise but I haven't driven one to see how firm the ride is. 2 years 3 months left yet to decide anyway.

B6 DSG V B7 DSG versions.
Having already driven the manual I knew the handling, steering and feel of the cars were the same and driving the DSG back to back feels exactly like driving the same car apart from one noticable difference, at motorway speeds the B7 has less wind noise, the redesigned wing mirrors and thicker side glass make a noticable difference at speeds best not talked about. Road noise seems about the same and the CR 140 CBAB unit is as quite and refined as ever. Couldn't really tell any difference in performance other than the B7 feeling a little tight.
On my 60 mile commute B7 showed a 4mpg improvement but I was trying the performance at times and I only used the stop start once on purpose. I would have to adapt my driving style to make use of the stop start as I usually just pull up in D and sit in auto hold.
So a good result, improvement in economy and wind noise and I'm sure I'd improve on economy if I made more use of the stop start. The B7 Bluemotion DSG posts a combined figure 6.5mg better than the B6.

Before I start the next comparison is the gearing on both DSG version is as far as I can tell exactly the same with 6th around 31-32mph/1000rpm.

DSG B6 and B7 V's B7 Manual.
Obviously the B7 manual has the extra tall Bluemotion Tech gearing which has 6th at about 37mph/1000rpm.
Done a bit of digging and 4th, 5th and 6th gears are much taller than the DSG equippend B6 and B7, infact using figurs from whattowcar 5th in the manual is about the same as 6th in the DSG.
This explains why I noticed such a big difference on the motorway when I had the manual test drive, steady speed on the motor gives more refinement and economy but you do have to shift down in the top three gears if you want decent performance.
I suspect this is even more pronounced if you are coming from a PD engined car with none Bluemotion tech gearing. What tow car have downgraded the B7 manual's towing rating because of the extra tall gearing, if you don't tow, dont matter. if you do then DSG. :biglaugh:
Also explains the much bigger economy gap between the manual and DSG in the B7
For me I'd like something in the middle but I aint gonna get it. :D

So just my thoughts.
The B7 will make my car list next time but I've never bought the same car twice. Maybe if adjustable leather seats are standard in two years time I maybe swayed.
The B7 is certainly a match for the best of the competition in the sector though and that's not bad for a car competeing with vehicles on much newer platforms. Certainly worth a look for anyone looking for a large family car or an alternative for a small exec car.

Cheers
Lee

The Fingers
19-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Good report Lee.....Well done.

I can agree with the wind noise at motorway speeds,

I have also noticed that i can drive the B7 with all the windows down, where the B6 used to get terrible buffetting with the rears down. Something the kids have pointed out!!

I am from a PD dsg 140 B6 and this manual CR unit feels slow, although its NOT (confirmed with a mate with a 170 TDI golf:D) mine keeps up with his 170 as did my PD DSG (the golf has done 120K and has had a hard last 30K.....yes he drives like a KN*B, well until he gets to corners!!!!)

These CR units feel as though they are being held back (more so in 3rd) and we are not getting the best / full ability of the engine (may improve as it loosens), i dont know how to describe it really just feels a little gutless compared to the EVIL PD DSG. I think the power delivery is smoother so you dont notice as much, quite unlike my GAS.........BBBOOOOOOMMMMMM DSG PD.

Wasnt the 140 DSG B6 best tow car for a while, will the B7 take the crown???

I am sure the B7 will get the highline treatment at some point, all others have B5.5, B6.......Next B7 Highline.

At least there is some one out there that has done a good last B6 to first B7 test back to back.

Now take your B6 with your leather seats and bugger off back in the other room:biglaugh:

cheers Lee

Phil

logiclee
19-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Good report Lee.....Well done.

At least there is some one out there that has done a good last B6 to first B7 test back to back.

Now take your B6 with your leather seats and bugger off back in the other room:biglaugh:

cheers Lee

Phil

Hey it was much a B7 manual v's B7 DSG review. ;)

The only difference on the B6 was one was auto and the other manual. In the B7 the manual makes a long legged cruiser and the DSG a little more on the athletic side. There's also a big gap in economy between the two now where it was just a few mpg before.
So in the B7 there's a lot more to consider before ordering DSG or manual.

I feel at home in this section because all you hear in the B6 section is my injectors have failed and I don't have them, i feel left out. :Blush2:

Cheers
Lee

The Fingers
20-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Well 1500 miles on and do i miss my DSG.............HELL YES:(

There are pro's and con's to both.

The though the box pick up with your foot through the button is what i miss most. I have been trying to change gear fast in the manual but the throw length on the box from say 3rd to 4th is massive. I bet a DSG would be through 3th and have the hammer down on 4th long before my manual would. (on the entry slip to a motorway obviously :D)

Faster starts though in the manual no gas boom wait when they turn green (timing is everything in the DSG). Then there is the right gear at the right time through the corners manual has the edge slightly.

Are the gears longer or is the DSG just managing to hold onto more revs as it changes up much faster, that i cannot work out.

I know what you mean about the injectors.......... I have had a few PD 2.0's and never had an injector go out. The problems start nowadays due to the fact that before we buy anything, camera, TV, Car, Holidays etc etc the list goes on. We have a look what everyone else thinks on the internet.

Most chatter on the web is about problems people are having, so we decide whats bad a good from there. B6 injectors fail, everyone talks on web, new buyers see these problems and start to worry about will they have problems, start asking questions and Mr Google gives you pages and pages of worrying Sh*t.

You could buy a 4 year old anything that has been driven by miss daisy everywhere (ie no turbo use), riding the clutch up every slope (DMF gooser), but its done 50K and its been serviced by VW. from the outside it would look like a minter, 50K one lady owner, full service history. But underneath its not been driven very well for 50K and strain has been put on stuff. Used cars are pot look even with known history.

I have been driving VW / Audi for 10 years and never once been stranded, i had to drive a 1.9 tdi 130 golf GT from Oxford to Manchester once with a knackered air flow meter, that was fun.......NOT.

We had a BKP that had got to 150K without any major faults at all and that had been a pool car which had been quite frankly abused!!!

God i waffle!!!

logiclee
20-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Well 1500 miles on and do i miss my DSG.............HELL YES:(

There are pro's and con's to both.
Faster starts though in the manual no gas boom wait when they turn green (timing is everything in the DSG).

That's a PD DSG issue not a CR DSG issue, with the foot on the brake or auto hold the clutch is held at biting point and a firm press on the throttle just gives a brisk smooth getaway. CR doesn't do nothing bang, it's a much happier DSG partner.

Are the gears longer or is the DSG just managing to hold onto more revs as it changes up much faster, that i cannot work out.

B7 Bluemotion Tech has much taller gearing for sure.

Here's some figures and they will differ slightly depending on wheel/tyre size and slight differences for models but......
For 2.0 TDi CR 140

All figures for mph per 1000rpm

B6 Manual (Non Bluemotion Tech) and B6 DSG and B7 DSG

1st 5mph
2nd 8.4mph
3rd 13.4mph
4th 19.4mph
5th 25.6mph
6th 31.5mph

B7 Manual Bluemotion Tech.

1st 5.6mph
2nd 9.7mph