PDA

View Full Version : Question what would you do? what should i do?

STEWY L
17-04-2011, 10:58 PM
hello all,
thank you for your attention/interest, i have a question for you, and would value your responce.
at present we have a BORA 2001,1.9 TDI pd, 130 "SPORT"( an english thing i believe)---eng code ASZ
it's approaching 98k, overdue,by age, a timing belt/water pump change,as it was changed when we bought it ,at 58k, in 2006.
i've changed the oil religiously,at 6k, though, no stamps to prove that as i've done it myself, so nothing really to bump up re-sale price.
it goes like stink- it accellerates from 70 -110mph,in 6th absolutely effortlessly,although it's probably reading high,it just seems" happy"
it has a 6cd changer-in dash- and a radio(gammer/or is it gamma?), with a tape player, (although i've never used tapes), plastic -"wood trim"- which doesn't grow on you because it's dead,but is very easy to keep clean?
it will,in November, "be paid for "--------

i absolutely love the the "new jetta" shape( 2005 -2009?).
i think it's brilliant!, but would i be dissappointed?

thank you in advance for your replies,
best regards,
stewy.:biglaugh:

nc7503
18-04-2011, 09:12 PM
ive had mine two years and would not be without it, boot is truly massive,i have the 1.9tdi s on a run i get 58mpg i had a few teething problems when i brought it but the dealer sorted it out. just wish i could afford the new one thats coming out but this one has to last me a few more years yet.

STEWY L
20-04-2011, 07:31 PM
bump,
regards,
stewy.

SC03OTT
20-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Is there anything specific you'd like to know?

I bought mine when it was 10 months old and it's now coming up to three years old in July...I think. Not had any major issues with it. There is plenty of grunt from the 2.0TDI and I'm averaging 44mpg from it. Not that great from a diesel, but I'm not that bothered. It'll be down to my driving style anyway. I bought the SE as I couldn't find a Sport for love nor money near me. If I was buying again, I'd hold out for a Sport. The fogs, 17" alloys and 15mm drop make a huge difference IMO. Mine has the alloys but not the drop and when you see it next to a Sport the difference is obvious.

Like I said, if there is anything specific you'd like to know, ask away.

STEWY L
20-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Is there anything specific you'd like to know?

I bought mine when it was 10 months old and it's now coming up to three years old in July...I think. Not had any major issues with it. There is plenty of grunt from the 2.0TDI and I'm averaging 44mpg from it. Not that great from a diesel, but I'm not that bothered. It'll be down to my driving style anyway. I bought the SE as I couldn't find a Sport for love nor money near me. If I was buying again, I'd hold out for a Sport. The fogs, 17" alloys and 15mm drop make a huge difference IMO. Mine has the alloys but not the drop and when you see it next to a Sport the difference is obvious.

Like I said, if there is anything specific you'd like to know, ask away.
it was "the grunt" i was worried about,to be honest. i've also got my heart set on a sport, thinking it may be better spec'd( my bora sport has lecy windows all round,6cd changer,heated mirrors, auto dip rear view mirror,rain sensitive wipers, and of course the flip out cup holders front and rear !!!
but the main thing would be the performance, my bora goes like stink,but is very economical too, i was under the impression that the 140 would not carry the jetta along quite as well somehow?
thanks for your reply,
stewy.

SC03OTT
20-04-2011, 09:36 PM
I've never driven a Bora, or any MkIV Golf based car so I'm limited to what I can comment on. I suspect that if you had the 150TDI you might be a little disappointed. Having looked at the stats however, I think the 130TDI Bora and 140TDI Jetta are around the same. That's based on figures on paper remember, not real world experience. You can get the 170TDI in the Jetta Sport, but good luck finding one LOL. I image the power delivery will feel different depending on wether you go for a PD unit or a CR unit as well. I have it in my head that the change from PD engines to CR engines happend in 2008, but I'm not 100%.

I'm more than happy with the performance of mine, however my car before the Jetta was a 1.2 Clio so it was always going to be a big step up. On a run up to Inverness with 3 passengers and a boot full of luggage, overtaking was still done with minimal fuss.

Specification and toys wise, the Jetta has everything you mentioned except the front flip out cup holders (it does have cup holders, they are next to the handbrake) and CD multi-changer. I'm 90% certain early Sport models came with cloth seats and later models hade suede sports seats.

Manutor
22-04-2011, 07:28 PM
I used to have a 2002 Bora 130 TDI which I replaced in 2009 with a Jetta 2.0 TDI 170 Sport. Found it by chance as i was originally looking for a 140 TDI SE/Sport. Got the Jetta for a bargain price too as it was priced as a 140 was 6 months old and only 6k on the clock! Bora had 125k when i replaced it but not all trouble free.

In my opinion the Jetta is better than the Bora in the following areas

1. Interior space and rear legroom for the family. Bora's rear legroom was tight and interior space poor for the size of the car
2. Boot space, Bora was damn good but the Jetta is unbeleivable
3. Handling. The Jetta will blow the Bora into the weeds on country roads, turns in better, grips better. Found the Bora would be a bit floaty and woolly when negotiating country lanes which is part of my daily commute.

The Bora is better than the Jetta in the following

1. Interior quality. The dashboard is far better in quality and appearance. My Bora had velour material yet the Jetta is cloth which in my opinion is wrong for this type of car. The centre console has hard shiny plastic.

Overall i don't regret buying the Jetta, even though i do miss the Bora. I would go for the common rail engine if you do go for one though the 2.0 PD engine is rough compared to it.

mcmaddy
28-04-2011, 08:04 PM
I changed from 115pd golf to a 150bhp Leon (both 1.9 engines) then to a 140 gttdi golf and now to a 140 Sport Jetta. I loved the power and fuel economy of the Leon which is more than what I got from the Golf and now the Jetta although power output and torque figures are near identical. The Golf and Jetta deliver a smoother power curve than the 1.9pd engines but then they were 8v motors as opposed to 16v on the 140 engines. I remember the Leon being just an out and out grunt car which was miles better than the 115pd golf but the new 140 golf was much nicer to drive. I now find the Jetta even nicer than the golf as it seems to be a better balanced car. Having only had the Jetta since February all I can say is that it is a great car to own and drive and you wont be disappointed. Found my 2008 Sport with full service history, leather heated seats, convenience pack, dual climate etc etc so it has more than normal toys but is still the best VW group car ive had.