PDA

View Full Version : Where to begin...2.5 tdi avant quattro

gazz1
16-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Hi guys,

Where to begin...

Just before Xmas 2010, the car had a flashing glow plug light when going up steep hills. The flash lasted about 10 seconds or so. It did it again about 4 weeks ago, again going up hill. Common theme was that the range on the computer was reading around 135-140 miles.

Today, similar thing happens but lasts for about 4 or 5 miles, and then car starts to splutter, whilst doing 70 with the wife and baby in the car (car stating range as 135 - 140). I pull into a layby and brake heavily to stop, the car cuts out completely. Car would not start after this. So I fill the fuel tank with about £5, and car still would not start.

The car was recovered and the guy said that it is likely that the fuel pump in the tank has gone. This was replaced 18 mths ago by previous owner. I put a further £20 fuel in and still would not start.

Now I am looking to get the car in to be checked out over the next week, and hopefully there will be error codes to be able to diagnose the problem. However, has anybody else experienced the above or know whether this is the pump being kn@ckered or whether it was because I presumably ran out of diesel?

Does anything need to be primed on this model, to get the fuel passing through?

Cheers,

Gaz.

green A8
16-04-2011, 09:36 PM
but you didn't run right out of diesel?

I'm no expert (I sure one will be along to offer advice soon) It sounds more like a blocked fuel filter to me.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards.

Paul.

hibbsy21
16-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Does the engine crank? and sound like its trying to start?

As 'the guy said' it could indeed be the fuel pump. I suppose you could take one of the fuel pipes off an see if fuel comes out when you try to start the car. Two man job though or you could make a mess lol

But that said the glowplug light is a bit strange. The glow plugs shouldnt be on for any more than a few minutes after the car is started as the compression is igniting the fuel.

It does need to go on a vagcom to see what codes its got up

Good luck

let us know the outcome!

Rich

gazz1
17-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for response. The guy took off the fuel line feeding the fuel filter (this was replaced as part of major service about 5 weeks ago) and nothing was coming through when cranking.

The pump was replaced 18 mths ago, and I would hope that it has not gone again. I spoke to the last owner yesterday and he told me that he had experienced a couple of issues with the fuel guage reading.

My thoughts are that it has run out of diesel. However, I do not know how to get it started as I assume there is air stuck somewhere.

Cheers,

Gaz.

hibbsy21
17-04-2011, 01:00 PM
i ran my 1.9 dry once and it took quite a while to start again after i put fuel in it.

And the same thing happened when i changed my fuel filter. I think its just a case of cranking until it starts. It will take a few mins of spluttering and smoke lol

gazz1
24-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Hi guys,

It looks as thought it ran out of diesel. The guage is not working correctly.

The car was started on Thursday evening, by doing the following:

1. Had another car connected via jump leads so that I could keep cranking;
2. Fuel filter was filled up with diesel and the injector pipe left open for a few mins;
3. Closed injector pipe and feathered the throttle until it started up.

It is running fine now.

Cheers,

Gaz