PDA

View Full Version : PS3 "Kill Switch"

macmillions
16-04-2011, 04:16 PM
I was wondering if anyone on here may be able to shed some light on this touchy subject.

Last week my Playstation 3 started playing up. Was playing Need For Speed and it crashed. Thought nothing of it, so restarted the game for it then to not load.
I turned off the console and left it for an hour or so, then later removed the disc and checked for damage. It's as clean as a whistle. So tried a CD lens cleaner. That worked fine. Once again I tried the game and again it wouldn't load. Restarted again, but now it wouldn't even read the disc and threw an error code up...

I tried Call Of Duty B.O. for good measure and it was the same situation.
I rang Sony who told me to re-format my hard drive, or send my ps3 backto them for an exhange recon unit, costing £130!

Don't think so! :mad:

I took it to my workmate, who knows xbox's and ps3's inside out and he confirmed it's the laser that needs replacing. He asked when I bought it, and I answered "early 2008."

His response was, it's likely to be a killswitch then. :confused:
Supposedly, it's a little trait electronics companies have been suspected of doing, where once a product is just out of warranty, a firmware update is automatically downloaded, which sets a command to icrease the voltage to a component somewhere (i.e. the laser), which will knacker it, thus you send them a load of money for a recon unit, and they can repair your one for peanuts and sell it for a profit...

Anyway, I've gone for a new laser at a cost of £70... Not through Sony.

But is this something that people have heard of before? I'm not sure if I believe it, or whether it's something I just don't want to believe in, as if it's true, it's outrageous!

phil miller
16-04-2011, 07:13 PM
i havent heard of this problem although my bosses was crashing after about an hour of use, a friend of his gave him a disc and said put it in and it will play and update something, he done that and it now works perfect again, one thing tho his has never been connected to the net as he was asking me how to do it last week

Guest 2
16-04-2011, 08:07 PM
How long Is the warranty? I bought mine along time ago (one of the first ones - forget what year it was) and it hasn't gave any bother. It's always connected to the internet so should I start backing up stuff off it before it's too late?

What was the error code it threw up?

NickPicks
16-04-2011, 10:24 PM
I've only heard of it as being called the Mangelfreuzer switch (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/11/bofh_2004_episode_25/)

I can't see it as being true though - some geek somewhere would be able to prove it and Sony would be facing a class action for a refund to every PS3 owner everywhere.

burkey1
16-04-2011, 11:34 PM
What was the error code it threw up?

There is an OBD2 port at the back, plug in VCDS and run a scan!!:D

macmillions
17-04-2011, 12:12 AM
^^^ Haha.
It was an error code like 8001032 or something similar.

I couldn't imagine it would be true, otherwise, as you said Nickpicks, they could be shafted if they were found out, but I have since read that there is a lot of suspicion growing about how PS3's are failing just out of warranty. (I believe it's a 3yr warranty). Mine was bought in March 2008. Originally 40Gb, upgraded to 500Gb.
People (geeks) are trying to delve into the gubbins and see if there are hidden commands located which could be the cause of these faults.

Probs a good idea to back up your stuff anyway. You never know with hard drives!

I know the main fault is the yellow light of death, where it crashes and eats your game. So you have to send away for it to be repaired, and hope you get your disk back!

I'll find out for sure if the new laser fixes it on Weds.
Lets hope it's not a dodgey money making tactic by Sony!

nc7503
17-04-2011, 02:54 PM
i think the kill switch malarky is true,my old man has the slim ps3, 3weeks out of warranty and after an update screen went blank then everytime he switched it on he had the red screen of death:zx11: he phoned tech support who to be honest were more than helpful and sent him a recon unit,two weeks later same again red screen of death in total they sent out 4 units to him,touch wood this one he has now has been fine

turbine2
18-04-2011, 08:40 AM
I think you'll find it's unlikely.

How does the manufacturer know when you bought it to start the timer?

What about if you purchased an extended warrantee?

How do you ensure that the code works but cannot be detected (remember, there are hackers out there who take every byte apart of evrey upgrade for various reasons)?

How could you keep something like that a secret?

Would your company want a reputation of faulty equipment linked to it?

Remember Sony's debacle when they installed what was considered to be a root kit on music CDs, which was then hacked and used as.... a root kit?

No, I suspect this is the same story as the one about the oil companies buying up the secret to making cars run on water and burning it.

The Fingers
18-04-2011, 02:24 PM
I have had my 60 gb first uk issue ps3 since day one collected 12.00 midnight :D

It have been though every firmware update as they have come out. There have been a few over the years which caused issues when applied, however next firmware all fine again. There were major issues at the point when 'Home' was released. There was once when a firmware messed with the t'internet settings and it would not go on playstation store or sign into COD / home or any other game for that matter for about a week.

The major issue i seem to have is when it is an enclosed space, it gets hot hot hot and the fan sounds like its going to lift off. Trying to watch a blue ray on one of the oldest ones is a mare, all you can hear is the fan!!!!!

Mine has done marathon spells on call of duty (online) without problems

There could have been a glitch whilst installing last firmware. It does happen.

'touch wood' mine has been bullet proof, however in the same time period my brother has has RROD on his xbox about 6 times, he even had a microsoft replacement come out of the box with RROD!! The towel trick does work as well which was surprising (although only for about 3 weeks) The only real fix was putting packers under the mother board to get some space under it.

macmillions
20-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Well I'm hoping it was just a spot of me making up an excuse as to why it failed.
Thankfully it is now fixed. New laser sorted it. Cost £70, so cheaper than the recon option Sony offered me, regardless.

I've got no issues with Sony otherwise. I've had, and I still have a Sony Walkman (tape player) from when I was about 6yrs old, and it still works - I'm now 24.

I bought a PS2 the day it came out (in Bahrain airport :biglaugh:) and that still works too, never let me down.

Also own a Sony hi fi stack system from the early 90's and that is still fully functioning.

I'm sure many more years of Sony ownership shall continue, and hopefully will be trouble free. :D