PDA

View Full Version : Folding mirrors

Aldoaccie
13-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Does anyone know how to fold the door mirrors automatically when locking the car? Is it indeed possible without VAG.com?

hartry
13-04-2011, 08:56 PM
AFAIK, not possible even with vagcom.

rmccardal
13-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Huge fail.

Seats and Skoda's do it.

FastEddieVW
14-04-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm interested in this also, bit disappointing that it doesn't do it automatically! I think the leaving home lights should come on automatically when you lock up at night too!

hartry
14-04-2011, 06:32 PM
I think the leaving home lights should come on automatically when you lock up at night too!

That certainly can be done, have a look at the 'anyone got a 2011 vcds autoscan' thread.

leowfc
22-04-2011, 11:17 AM
TBH this is a real safety issue. I have to fold mirrors before opening the door and then cannot see if safe to open.

I know me writing to VW will make no difference any suggestion how to raise this as a safety issue with the car to get VW to put in a fix ?

Regards

Leo

SC03OTT
22-04-2011, 11:35 AM
A real safety issue? You're joking right? At most it's a minor inconvenience.

leowfc
22-04-2011, 11:51 AM
The whole point of folding mirrors is so they do not get knocked when parking in a busy / narrow road.

However these are exactly the types of roads you need to use the mirror before opening the door.

The problem is you cannot fold the mirror once the keys are out of the ignition and the door is open.

So the choice is ether risk damaging the car (or worse) opening the door or risk the mirror being smashed when the car is parked.

Yes it is a safety issue.

Regards

Leo

hartry
22-04-2011, 01:19 PM
The whole point of folding mirrors is so they do not get knocked when parking in a busy / narrow road.

However these are exactly the types of roads you need to use the mirror before opening the door.

The problem is you cannot fold the mirror once the keys are out of the ignition and the door is open.

So the choice is ether risk damaging the car (or worse) opening the door or risk the mirror being smashed when the car is parked.

Yes it is a safety issue.

Regards

Leo

Just look over your shoulder and see if there's anything coming :confused:

leowfc
22-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Without wanting to sound patronising that is not the point. Of course I can look over my shoulder and yes I can do that when changing lane but I have a wing mirror. I also watch the car when reversing but have parking sensors to assist and I have hill hold but I can of course use the hand brake.

The point is, I suggest you try getting out of your car in a busy road without the use of your wing mirror. It is much harder and potentially dangerous.

hartry and SC03OTT can you clarify do you have the folding mirrors option ?

Other VAG marks have it right, on this one VW have a safety issue on how they have implemented the folding, as the time you want to fold the mirrors is the time you need them to exit the car and you cannot currently do it without the keys in the ignition.

So anyone know how to bring this to the attention of the right person at VW.

Thanks

Leo

SC03OTT
22-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Nope I don't have the function. I very rarely fold the mirrors as I don't park on busy roads. I'd rather park on a quieter street and walk than park on a busy street and run the greater risk of damage to my car.

If I do fold the mirror, I still find it easy enough to look out the window and rear view mirror to see if anything is coming. It might not be possible on the Passat however, especially with the sloping roof. I don't know, I've never driven one. I can see where you're coming from now however.

What happens if the mirrors are folding and you remove the key? Do they stop or continue to the folded position?

FastEddieVW
22-04-2011, 05:52 PM
That certainly can be done, have a look at the 'anyone got a 2011 vcds autoscan' thread.

I'll have a squint, I know you can flash the lights to have them come on for however long you decide in the settings menu, I'd just like to have them come on by themselves when I lock up. Swank factor! ;)

rmccardal
22-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Leo, drop an email to VW cust serv and see what they come back with.