PDA

View Full Version : Broken door lock barrel / paddle

27motorhead
20-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Golf MK3 (1997 R Reg 1.9TDI)

Went to lock car last night (drivers door) and the barrel / paddle broke off with the key in it... simultaneously all 4 electric windows came down too... arghh!!!

The barrel came out with the key and the end / paddle has been broken / sheared off - not surprisingly as it looks very weak and the pneumatic central locking isn't the sweetest of things to operate.

Got 3 windows back up after about 10min and then eventually the drivers side went back up...

So... I've got the barrel with all but one tumbler (might be inside the door!) – does anyone know if I can interchange the tumblers with another barrel etc. as I'd like to avoid having two keys.

Otherwise I take it's just a new handle assembly?

Any advise would be great.

Cheers!

Tim

27motorhead
24-04-2006, 04:41 PM
All fixed now!

bought parts from VW dealer - about £14 something including VAT for naked barrel, paddle, spring etc.

Found missing tumbler on passenger seat from the night the paddle / barrel broke.

cleaned / greased and fitted (along with passenger door) in about 1 hour...

So if this happens to you - don't panic!!! Keep barrel / tumblers / springs safe to save you having a new key cut.

Also realised that if you hold the key in the locked position any electric windows left open will automatically shut (never knew that!) but as they were already all up the car decided to open them all instead!!!

Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem - spoke to a few VW people and it's a common problem apparently.

Cheers!

Tim