PDA

View Full Version : Touran - Which protocol?

amazing_parker
06-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 Touran TDi 1.9 se PD (105hp on docs, 100hp according to VW York) and would like to plug my computer into it, and tweak settings.

Which cable do I need? I have noticed that some 409 cables are said to work with the Touran, but not with the Touran '1T' chassis
How can I tell which chassis I have?
Which cable do I need? Is my Touran CAN-bus?

I was also told that a laptop and cable is not the way to plug in if I wanted to save the engine management details, and upload new ones for tuning purposes - I have been told that I will need an ecu flasher for that. Can I not do that with my laptop?

Any help would be gratefully received.
- Oh - and I know that its risky playing with the ECU!

Aidan

amazing_parker
13-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Hi,
Well, I've done a lot of searching/reading :approve: , and I have come up with the following:

Connectitivity for a VW Touran TDI 1.9 PD 105 SE - Mine has the 1T chassis (look at digits 7 and 8 of you VIN code)

CAN-BUS is data protocol for changing 'comfort' features and reading fault codes; Ideally, you will need a HEX-CAN-USB cable to do this (with a USB laptop) or a HEX-CAN-COM cable for a serial port laptop.

If you want to tune the engine - ie a remap - you will need a EDC16 flash cable which will plug into the same OBD2 connector under the steering wheel - behind the little cupboard.

Apparently there are two 5amp fuses that must be taken out of the fuse box before you start, and the ignition must be switched on, but the engine stopped.

(Early Tourans might use the older EDC15 protocol, but I've not found any yet - mines 2004 and it is EDC16.)

I hope that this is of some use to someone, and I am new to this, so if anyone wants to shed more light, be my guest...