PDA

View Full Version : vacuum hose replacement

Eshrules
06-07-2007, 05:10 PM
i've noticed an increasing amount of the fabric covered vac hoses wearing, to the point whereby they are splitting or coming loose (obviously where im leaking boost to :()

now, i've taken a quick look at vagparts and they do the small vac hoses for around £4 a metre....

am i better off getting OEM or getting some silicone and clamps? or would it really not make any difference at all? :Blush2:

Stevef.
06-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Hi Esh, I think the oem ones are fine dont think silicone ones will make any difference although they may look better just replace them one piece at a time or make a sketch so as you dont get lost, you wont lose boost into them if there leaking you just wont get full pull on the VNT actuator so you wont get full boost.;)

onzarob
06-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Carl, My local garage recommends using non-fabric pipe as you can see when it fails/perishes in future.

Eshrules
06-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Hi Esh, I think the oem ones are fine dont think silicone ones will make any difference although they may look better just replace them one piece at a time or make a sketch so as you dont get lost, you wont lose boost into them if there leaking you just wont get full pull on the VNT actuator so you wont get full boost.;)

thanks for that ;) i 'bodged' it for now (going to the autofactors tomorrow) and i've already noticed a substantial increase in MPG and performance.... most of them are perished, although the larger pipes, funnily enough dont seem to be worn at all.... are they not part of the vac system?

@ Rob.... sounds like a plan to me, ill check out what the vac pipes are like at my autofactors, but for £3 a meter i dont suppose you can complain :p

ini
07-07-2007, 12:18 AM
I replaced all mine with 3mm and 4mm ID rubber & silicone vac hoses off ebay.

Cheap as chips.

Eshrules
07-07-2007, 08:21 AM
I replaced all mine with 3mm and 4mm ID rubber & silicone vac hoses off ebay.

Cheap as chips.

the cheapest i can find is £20 for a 3 hose kit.... but what concerns me is that silicone is one of those products that has to be source right, cheap silicone isnt necessarily good silicone..... id be concerned about the lack of guarantee from them :(