PDA

View Full Version : Question Which one? Best quality

hibbsy21
10-04-2011, 02:36 AM
I need to change my cam belt and would probs be best to do all the tensioners at the same time, so i have been searching around for some kits. Here are a few i have found.

SKF (http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Audi_A4_1.9_1997/p/car-parts/car-service-parts/major-service/timing-belt-kits/?349778125&1&47bda623dccf6bb021af4de5531e6aa984a2970b&TBLK) £83.94

Conti Tech (1) (http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Audi_A4_1.9_1997/p/car-parts/car-service-parts/major-service/timing-belt-kits/?348772055&1&3126b410304f614941d0dcfe5518826d6cbce4a3&TBLK) £112.80

Conti Tech (2) (http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Audi_A4_1.9_1997/p/car-parts/car-service-parts/major-service/timing-belt-kits/?348778125&1&b0061076dfcdf66ccbfc93d8cd409a5fe8952c26&TBLK) £74.40

Now i am not sure which is best, and dont really understand why the prices vary so much. Would i be best going for the expensive option?

Or is it a case of going to audi on monday and getting the OE parts?

Also i need to change oil and oil filter (just done the fuel filter, will do a "how to" in a few days). So i think i'd rather have the OE oil and filter. But as for the belt, i am not sure.

Also i have seen a sticker on the engine bay indicating to only use bilstein timing belts?

Any advice would be great!

Cheers!

Rich

Edit: And its a AHU engine code

hairyape1
10-04-2011, 09:34 AM
I too have been looking at kits, I need to do mine pronto!

The tech 1 kit its for an AHH engine, (so I guess that wont fit the AHU)
The remaining two kits say there for the AHU or 1Z.
So I would guess its a toss up between them, with only a tenner differance in price. Just from looking at the picture I would say that the more expensive looks slightly better quality... but its hard to tell.

Are you going to replace the water pump at the same time? if so I'm interested to see what options you have considered.

Cheers,

Ben

hibbsy21
10-04-2011, 01:00 PM
I too have been looking at kits, I need to do mine pronto!

The tech 1 kit its for an AHH engine, (so I guess that wont fit the AHU)
The remaining two kits say there for the AHU or 1Z.
So I would guess its a toss up between them, with only a tenner differance in price. Just from looking at the picture I would say that the more expensive looks slightly better quality... but its hard to tell.

Are you going to replace the water pump at the same time? if so I'm interested to see what options you have considered.

Cheers,

Ben

bugger!! i should have noticed that! wel the conti tech one says its recommended so i will probs go with that, but i need to ring audi tomorrow an get some prices on OE stuff.

Not sure about a water pump didnt think it was required. I will look in to it!

I know i need to do oil change though, i've done 12000miles since i've owned it, and i am not sure when it was last changed.

Cheers!

hairyape1
10-04-2011, 07:31 PM
cool, lemme know how you get on with prices for audi parts.

I'm only thinking of doing the water pump, because from reading other posts about cam belt changes, they always recommend doing the pump at the same time because its well known for failing... but i'm not too sure if this applies to the 1.9 engine too? to do the pump you need to have the belt off, so may as well do it at the same time.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on it :)

HA! sounds like the oil could do with changing! :)
When I bought my car the previous owner had done about 70k since he got it. I asked when the cam belt was last changed and he just looked blankly at me...
He did say that the oil had been changed every 10k tho... but now the car has 80k on the cam belt, I really must get around to changing it!!!! :)

:beerchug: