PDA

View Full Version : Audi A6 / 100 idle-deceleration problem

wysiwyg73
06-07-2007, 02:46 PM
I have run my 1994 Audi 100 (A6) 2.6 V6 (ABC engine) for 10 years with virtually no major problems, but a while ago it started having intermittent running problems. When warm it often won't idle at less than 1100rpm, sometimes as high as 1400rpm. From cold, sometimes it just cuts out and I have to restart, keep the revs up and drive until it gets some heat into it. I can cope with these instances, but there is an associated problem when I decelerate - there is a time lag which means the power is still on after I've lifted the throttle. This makes the car jerk as it comes off suddenly and this erratic behaviour is not pleasant in traffic.

I have had the car tested by a local garage and they say nothing shows up on a diagnostic check. They seem to think that it is a problem associated with the throttle body and after they cleaned this the car ran well for a whole week! The problem then returned. I am not convinced that a repeat clean will cure the problem and feel that they may have just accidentally effected a temporary cure by carrying out the work.

Any ideas / comments would be much appreciated.

Lex Luthor
06-07-2007, 03:18 PM
A "diagnostic Check" that just looks for fault codes is only half a job.
You need to have the various sensors checked for correct readings while the engine is running or even being driven.
Find a local forum member who will hook-up their VAGCOM and check it properly.
My money would be on the coolant temperature sensor...but then again I always say that when the engine will not idle properly....

wysiwyg73
06-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I asked for the thermostat to be replaced when it was in for this fault as it was running a bit warm (90), but they didn't do it advising me that this was quite normal. They claim to have checked the sensor, it being "within acceptable limits". The test was apparently carried out with the engine running. At least changing both stat and sensor would eliminate them from the investigation.

I have a feeling this may be a long process and I can't understand why it was okay for a week after it was worked on, but since the problem returned it has occurred daily. Just call me Mr Confused!
:confused:

Lex Luthor
06-07-2007, 06:36 PM
At least changing both stat and sensor would eliminate them from the investigation.

Don't poke and hope...it's a waste of money and effort.
The sensor will only have a negative effect if it is way out. If they checked it then it's probably ok.

Post your location in your profile and you might receive offers of help from forum members.

s6sputnik
07-07-2007, 04:29 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I asked for the thermostat to be replaced when it was in for this fault as it was running a bit warm (90), but they didn't do it advising me that this was quite normal. They claim to have checked the sensor, it being "within acceptable limits". The test was apparently carried out with the engine running. At least changing both stat and sensor would eliminate them from the investigation.

I have a feeling this may be a long process and I can't understand why it was okay for a week after it was worked on, but since the problem returned it has occurred daily. Just call me Mr Confused!
:confused:

You gotta tell me how coolant can make a motor run poorly? I would think that fuel, spark, or O2 not H20 would be your most likely issue(s) assuming your idle is proper and the car is not running the A/C.

Generally when the A/C is running the idle increases to keep the motor from stalling..so when you are testing this stuff ..make sure to shut off the A/C

hope that helps,

Lex Luthor
07-07-2007, 08:46 AM
You gotta tell me how coolant can make a motor run poorly?
If the CTS is stuck on full cold then the ECU will fuel the engine too rich.
If the CTS is stuck on full hot then it will be difficult to start as the ECU thinks you are doing a warm start.

Generally when the A/C is running the idle increases to keep the motor from stalling.
This engine has a fully computer controlled idle using the servoed throttle body to control the idle so it should idle at the same RPM no matter what the load.

s6sputnik
07-07-2007, 05:04 PM
This engine has a fully computer controlled idle using the servoed throttle body to control the idle so it should idle at the same RPM no matter what the load.

On a '94 with a small 6? Are you sure? My S6 (same body style different motor) does idle differently when the A/C is on. And you also feel and see it when the compressor comes on.

FWIW I just checked...Without A/C idle is about 875rpm with A/C running 950rpm so either my car is different than his or my car is sick.

s6sputnik
07-07-2007, 07:26 PM
I They seem to think that it is a problem associated with the throttle body and after they cleaned this the car ran well for a whole week! The problem then returned. I am not convinced that a repeat clean will cure the problem and feel that they may have just accidentally effected a temporary cure by carrying out the work.

Any ideas / comments would be much appreciated.

Maybe replace the throttle body and cable...the cable is 13 years old and might be rusty on the inside :confused:

Lex Luthor
07-07-2007, 10:41 PM
On a '94 with a small 6? Are you sure?

Yes your right it's too early for that.
The throttle body does have an idle switch that would be worth checking and there is a separate idle stabilisation valve that may benefit from cleaning.

s6sputnik
07-07-2007, 10:52 PM
The throttle body does have an idle switch that would be worth checking and there is a separate idle stabilisation valve that may benefit from cleaning.
I think that is where i would look...Is the guy who needs this even looking any more? :confused:
:beerchug: Luther

wysiwyg73
08-07-2007, 10:16 PM
I think that is where i would look...Is the guy who needs this even looking any more? :confused:
:beerchug: Luther

Sorry chaps been away for a couple of days. I note what you have said and would say thanks for your thoughts and comments.

I can confirm the throttle is not computer controlled. I think the cable is okay - when it has been playing up and idling fast, I've pulled on the cable and even the connection at the throttle body and it hasn't had an effect.

After the throttle body was cleaned, the car ran perfectly for two weeks and then the problem just reoccurred. I suspect it is something to do with an intermittent connection or component by the way it happens. Despite having 244k on the clock, the engine runs fine and has plenty of power apart from the idle problem. It still returns 30 - 32 mpg which it did when I purchased it 10 years ago with 64k on the clock. As you see, I get around!

Thanks once again.

ladyinred
16-07-2007, 07:30 PM
On a '94 with a small 6? Are you sure? My S6 (same body style different motor) does idle differently when the A/C is on. And you also feel and see it when the compressor comes on.

FWIW I just checked...Without A/C idle is about 875rpm with A/C running 950rpm so either my car is different than his or my car is sick.
Howzit Sputnk
I drive an A6 94 model 2.6e V6 Avant Audi and when I switch on a/c the engine sounds very loud and the idle increases so to say i can feel a vibration on my accelerator pedal.

Do u think this is normal

thank u

Johan Slump
17-07-2007, 12:59 PM
I have exactly the same simptoms with my 1997 Avant A6. While this problem occured I switched the ignition off while driving and restarted the car-problem gone for time being. I think it has something to do with a electrical fault somewhere, even sometimes the sunroof does funny things.

ladyinred
17-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Yes.. sometimes my sun-roof makes funny noises as if its opening or closing on its own...thanks for the reply...

s6sputnik
21-07-2007, 04:22 AM
Howzit Sputnk
I drive an A6 94 model 2.6e V6 Avant Audi and when I switch on a/c the engine sounds very loud and the idle increases so to say i can feel a vibration on my accelerator pedal.

Do u think this is normal

thank u

No I don't think it is normal...might you have a bad motor mount? so the additional vibrations from running the A/C can be felt more? Any odd sounds from the A/C unit or is it just loud?

Have you checked/ replaced the ground to the A/C?

s6sputnik
21-07-2007, 04:25 AM
Yes.. sometimes my sun-roof makes funny noises as if its opening or closing on its own...thanks for the reply...

I am glad to hear that it is not only in Texas that we have those random automatic sunroof openers ;) .I think there is a contact that gets dirty overtime causing the ghost like opening of the sunroof, however, I have never fixed it on my car yet so I don't know the correct answer sorry.