PDA

View Full Version : Question White LED Number plate lights - Legal?

Richmix
08-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Hi all,

After looking through various discussions on these, I bought a pair for my A4 and fitted them. They look great but now I'm thinking - are these legal or not?

I've asked some of the people selling these bulbs and some say they are illegal, some say they don't know and others just didn't comment.

I understand the laws regarding the number plate colour and that you can't show white light at the rear of the vehicle but don't fully understand where the line is drawn with this.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Big Bird
08-04-2011, 05:20 PM
As long as it's a direct replacement, doesn't flicker (ie is a constant light) and is secured in the proper holder, you won't have any issues.

SC03OTT
08-04-2011, 05:20 PM
I was going to say 100% legal until you mentioned white light at the rear. LEDs do come standard on BMWs however. Plus, the lights don't actualy face backwards, but illuminate down the way. I suspect as long as they are E marked they are legal. Wouldn't be putting money on that mind you. Mine are bright at night but are in no way dazzling but if I got pulled for them wouldn't be defending them, although it's highly unlikely I will.

Anyway after that rambling, I'm going with legal.

JimC64
08-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Hmmm, good question and tbh I don't know the answer.

The do direct the light downwards obviously and not towards any driver behind you, so I wouldn't see an issue.
On a side note I've had mine fitted for around a year or so with no issues / no pulls / no comments.....just bright white lights:beerchug:

kodkod.84
08-04-2011, 06:05 PM
I would say legal got them on the Golf with no problems so far- you can read the numberplate a hell of a lot better at night than the normal bulbs as well :D

burkey1
08-04-2011, 07:16 PM
you can read the numberplate a hell of a lot better at night than the normal bulbs as well :D

So makes it easier for the coppers to see you plate when your speeding by!!:D

kodkod.84
09-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Yep- but I don't do much speeding (or other forms of motor lawbreaking) :p-the fact they are brighter should make them more legal lol