PDA

View Full Version : NEW car but which one?!

Lis
06-07-2007, 09:17 AM
I am currently saving to get a new car in 2 years time. I will *hopefully * have about £6k to spend and have been trying to decide which is best. I've driven my OH's MK4 1.9 GT TDi Golf and really like that, so i think maybe its a choice between that and an Audi A3.

Which would you choose? Bearing in mind i'll only have the £6k to spend, maybe the Golf would be the better option?

It's likely i'll be able to find a new Golf with less mileage at the price than i will an Audi!:confused:

RickT
06-07-2007, 09:47 AM
its hard to say... with it been in 2 years time..

to cut a long story short... go for a golf if you want to get a good spec model, or go for the A3 if you want the Audi badge with less toys for the same money..

Rick

Eshrules
06-07-2007, 10:26 AM
i got a golf for a smidge over £5k, 79k on the clock, 115 gt tdi....

im currently looking to move up to a passat, so could be worth considering as you get a shedload more value for your money... or even more, an octavia.

like for like, for £6k i would say stick with the golf, the A3 is a higher insurance group and you wont get as many features. in fact, id say by the time you come to get one, you should be looking at around 03/04 plate, a reasonable 130 gt tdi with around 80/90k on the clock should be within your £6k budget :beerchug:

Veedubber
06-07-2007, 12:07 PM
If you've got a couple of years yet, then mmmm, a lot can happen!! Personally, I would go and get test drives of lots of Golfs and lots of A3s - see which one you like best and then go and buy one! Seriously, though, one man's meat is another man's poison and all that and you've a couple of years of frantic mind changing between now and then.

I tend to make a decision on a bit of a whim and then have to do it right away - I'd struggle to pick a car now and then wait 2 years watching the money gather itself together.

But yeah, go and spend some time test driving them. See which one floats your boat :D

Eshrules
06-07-2007, 12:09 PM
I'd struggle to pick a car now and then wait 2 years watching the money gather itself together.

exactly my problem.... my new car will be here come xmas i can feel it :p

Lis
06-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Well i am probably going to struggle with the temptation to buy one sooner but i think the only way i could afford to do that would be to get a bank loan which would then mean debt which wouldn't be so good!

Veedubber
06-07-2007, 12:11 PM
exactly my problem.... my new car will be here come xmas i can feel it :p

Christmas?! <whimper> Cor, I nearly get butterflies for you... I'm not sure I could do it! I would seriously lose my mind in the interim... probably says something rather worrying about me, but there you go!

Lis
06-07-2007, 12:15 PM
I may be shot down and quickly corrected here BUT i think that generally (really generally) speaking the Golf and the A3 are similar cars but the Audi's seem more expensive as you are paying for the badge>? My dad has had a few Audi's so i know they are pretty decent cars but now OH has a Golf and i am becoming quite fond of that too!!

Eshrules
06-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Christmas?! <whimper> Cor, I nearly get butterflies for you... I'm not sure I could do it! I would seriously lose my mind in the interim... probably says something rather worrying about me, but there you go!

a certain thing called no claims and a HPI agreemant which will need to be figured out ;) im already getting butterflies, but its nice to know that the car i have isnt knackered and i can upgrade without feeling desperate to go for the first car i find....

I may be shot down and quickly corrected here BUT i think that generally (really generally) speaking the Golf and the A3 are similar cars but the Audi's seem more expensive as you are paying for the badge>? My dad has had a few Audi's so i know they are pretty decent cars but now OH has a Golf and i am becoming quite fond of that too!!

id agree, in the main, BUT audi do have a superior build quality as far as interiors are concerned, for all intents and purposes, they're the same car. if you're working on a budget, id suggest the golf would be more suited to you, not only that, but you're buying into the legend that is the vw golf :D

MalcQV
06-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Nothing wrong with planning two years ahead for a car. Me too :p
However apart from buying this Passat I have always gone into debt to buy a car first one being bank of Mum & Dad, then all the others the Bank Manager.

For the Pasty we had £3k from a Standard Life PLC, my old Honda Accord and a dosh from Mrs QV's redundancy fund :p = £6K