PDA

View Full Version : NEW car but which one?!

Lis
06-07-2007, 09:17 AM
I am currently saving to get a new car in 2 years time. I will *hopefully * have about 6k to spend and have been trying to decide which is best. I've driven my OH's MK4 1.9 GT TDi Golf and really like that, so i think maybe its a choice between that and an Audi A3.

Which would you choose? Bearing in mind i'll only have the 6k to spend, maybe the Golf would be the better option?

It's likely i'll be able to find a new Golf with less mileage at the price than i will an Audi!:confused:

RickT
06-07-2007, 09:47 AM
its hard to say... with it been in 2 years time..

to cut a long story short... go for a golf if you want to get a good spec model, or go for the A3 if you want the Audi badge with less toys for the same money..

Rick

Eshrules
06-07-2007, 10:26 AM
i got a golf for a smidge over 5k, 79k on the clock, 115 gt tdi....

im currently looking to move up to a passat, so could be worth considering as you get a shedload more value for your money... or even more, an octavia.

like for like, for 6k i would say stick with the golf, the A3 is a higher insurance group and you wont get as many features. in fact, id say by the time you come to get one, you should be looking at around 03/04 plate, a reasonable 130 gt tdi with around 80/90k on the clock should be within your 6k budget :beerchug:

Veedubber
06-07-2007, 12:07 PM
If you've got a couple of years yet, then mmmm, a lot can happen!! Personally, I would go and get test drives of lots of Golfs and lots of A3s - see which one you like best and then go and buy one! Seriously, though, one man's meat is another man's poison and all that and you've a couple of years of frantic mind changing between now and then.

I tend to make a decision on a bit of a whim and then have to do it right away - I'd struggle to pick a car now and then wait 2 years watching the money gather itself together.

But yeah, go and spend some time test driving them. See which one floats your boat :D

Eshrules
06-07-2007, 12:09 PM
I'd struggle to pick a car now and then wait 2 years watching the money gather itself together.

exactly my problem.... my new car will be here come xmas i can feel it :p

Lis
06-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Well i am probably going to struggle with the temptation to buy one sooner but i think the only way i could afford to do that would be to get a bank loan which would then mean debt which wouldn't be so good!

Veedubber
06-07-2007, 12:11 PM
exactly my problem.... my new car will be here come xmas i can feel it :p

Christmas?! <whimper> Cor, I nearly get butterflies for you... I'm not sure I could do it! I would seriously lose my mind in the interim... probably says something rather worrying about me, but there you go!

Lis
06-07-2007, 12:15 PM
I may be shot down and quickly corrected here BUT i think that generally (really generally) speaking the Golf and the A3 are similar cars but the Audi's seem more expensive as you are paying for the badge>? My dad has had a few Audi's so i know they are pretty decent cars but now OH has a Golf and i am becoming quite fond of that too!!

Eshrules
06-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Christmas?! <whimper> Cor, I nearly get butterflies for you... I'm not sure I could do it! I would seriously lose my mind in the interim... probably says something rather worrying about me, but there you go!

a certain thing called no claims and a HPI agreemant which will need to be figured out ;) im already getting butterflies, but its nice to know that the car i have isnt knackered and i can upgrade without feeling desperate to go for the first car i find....

I may be shot down and quickly corrected here BUT i think that generally (really generally) speaking the Golf and the A3 are similar cars but the Audi's seem more expensive as you are paying for the badge>? My dad has had a few Audi's so i know they are pretty decent cars but now OH has a Golf and i am becoming quite fond of that too!!

id agree, in the main, BUT audi do have a superior build quality as far as interiors are concerned, for all intents and purposes, they're the same car. if you're working on a budget, id suggest the golf would be more suited to you, not only that, but you're buying into the legend that is the vw golf :D

MalcQV
06-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Nothing wrong with planning two years ahead for a car. Me too :p
However apart from buying this Passat I have always gone into debt to buy a car first one being bank of Mum & Dad, then all the others the Bank Manager.

For the Pasty we had 3k from a Standard Life PLC, my old Honda Accord and a dosh from Mrs QV's redundancy fund :p = 6K