PDA

View Full Version : Went for a remap today, but didn't get one .....

inertia
07-04-2011, 12:21 AM
I took my 1999 S3 for a remap today, which I have been looking forward to for some time, I have spent th last 2 weeks fixing boost leaks, replacing the thermostat, and random rotten piping, and basically getting the car running as it should ready for a tune.

The car to me feels quick, like you would expect it to stock, its not much slower than a civic type-r but it is slightly slower. I fully expected it was a stock car.

When i arrived for my Map, John got out VAG com to verify everything was running as it should, we went for a spin and my car was boosting 1.3bar, and he said 'its already tuned this'
It was requesting 1.3 bar and producing 1.3bar so I defiantly doesn't have a boost leak anymore.

However I would expect 250bhp+ from my car if it was remapped, and expect it to pull a lot harder than it does, it feels standard.

John recommended to me that we should leave it as he doesn't want to charge me to remap my car when it seems to be already done.
He suggested i might try changing the MAF as it looked like the fueling may have been a bit off (he mentioned something about a reading showing +3% where he would've expected -3% therefore its 6% out).

what do you guys think ? should replacing my MAF give me a decent amount of extra power and make the remap the car already has (source unknown) work properly? or should I go ahead and get it custom mapped regardless of the existing one ? or may I need to do both ?

I'm planning to buy a new MAF tomorrow but its not cheap, so thought i would post here first.

Thanks

NickPicks
07-04-2011, 09:06 AM
I suppose the only way to find out what power it's actually giving is to rolling road it.

I don't know John, but if he's suggesting replacing the MAF as the fuelling is wrong, then I'd do it.

inertia
14-04-2011, 02:04 AM
MAF replaced, Car still doesn't feel quick enough to me.

Just gonna go all in I think , decat, miltek, 4bar FPR, panel filter and revo stage 2, hopefully it will make a big difference.

inertia
18-04-2011, 11:17 PM
I fitted a boost gauge today, a new south one from awesome, intoa vent pod, really pleased with the quality and outcome.

however my car is boosting at 15psi

VAG com says requested boost 2200 (1.2 bar 17.5psi) and actual boost 2200 , of course they twitch about a little bit, but my boost gauge never shows 17.5psi it just sits at 15psi solid.

Could this be the MAP sensor telling the car its at required boost when it isnt because its faulty, and therefore VAG com is happy boost is being made, when it actually isnt ? Just a guess.