PDA

View Full Version : ABS light now...when are these lights going to stop?!

papalima
06-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi all can you help me on this one please?!

I have a golf mk4 which i look after and service every 6 months myself. ABS light has come on I dont have a diagnostics kit and I want to know what to do!!. I had all the tyres+ brakes replaced about 2 months ago I thought it could have been this that triggered it but 2 months? its a long time right?! Also i've read that peoples MAF sensors can cause the light to illuminate too?
Another thing I cleaned my throttle body the other week, left the car to re-calibate its been running fine since so any clues?! Could it be just a dodgy sensor.
One thing I should mention, this actually might be it when i press the brake pedal the lights dont come on straight away. This has actually become quite dangerous because people dont know I am braking unless i press hard which makes it a pain for me and the lady! So any clues?
:aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:

zollaf
07-04-2011, 07:42 AM
hello and welcome. i think you have already said what your fault is. if the ecu doesnt know you are braking, then it doesnt know what to do, so throws a fault. not only does the brake light switch put your brake lights on, but it also feeds this info to the abs ecu. get yourself a new switch and see if that doesnt cure the fault. be careful fitting it though, somewhere on here i think is a guide. a very simple operation, but do it wrong and you can break the new switch.

papalima
11-04-2011, 07:23 PM
thanks for the post zollaf..ok so to bring everybody up to date i changed the brake sensor which after all the scare stories was actually a piece of cake. The problem now is that the ABS sensor is still on....any other things that could be wrong?!

kite
11-04-2011, 07:31 PM
you could have a failed ABS sensor on 1 of the wheels, scan the car for faults