PDA

View Full Version : Should I Get A B7?

rapport25
05-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Hi guys currently I drive a B6 2.0 TDI Sport DSG with all the toys :D. I start a new job in June and I have a choice of a company car. What should I get?

Ford Mondeo? Vw Passat? Peugeot 508? Vauxhall Insignia? etc....

Any help or advise would be great!!!

Rappy :approve:

logiclee
06-04-2011, 03:39 PM
What year is the B6?

If it's PD engined you will be highly suprised how refined the CR/DSG combo is. The clocks, switchgear, MFSW and MFD were all upgraded early 2010 in the B6 as per the CC and Golf and look a lot smarter as do the new heater controls if you haven't got dual zone climate.
The later 310/510 headunits with MDI and Bluetooth all work a treat and sound quality is good for oem gear.
The CR units are more economical and all B7's are bluemotion tech so low company car tax but I'm a private buyer so can't advise you on that one.
If you go SE then you get the new seats, they are more slopey and have side supports but the side supports are that far apart they will only hold you snug if you have a bif fat ****. :p:D If you like your leather like me you have to fork out £1700 unless your boss will let you go for the Sport.
Other than a few interior tweeks and the new exterior shape they drive pretty much as the B6 which will be good or bad depending on how you like yours. The SE's chassis was directly carried over from the highline with no change to chassis, steering or suspension settings. The sport has sports suspension but this has been tuned from the B6 Passat sport setup but haven't been in one yet to offer feedback.
The only noticable difference I could tell driving (2010 CR B6 comparison) is the reduction in wind noise due to the extra sound proofing and thicker side glass.
The Manual SE I drove had much longer gearing than my non bluemotion tech CR B6 DSG, I'm due to have a B7 2.0CR SE DSG for a day on the 18th of this month so I'll give a direct comparioson then.

So in summary the B6 steadily evolved through it's life and jumped forward to the B7. If you are stepping out of a 2005-2007 PD engined B6 then the B7 will feel like a different car and a major upgrade. From a later common rail B6 the B7 feels more of a face lift but the improvements are well worthwhile.
The styling is a personal choice, I really like the front end but wish they had made more effort with the rear and kept led lights standard.

It will certainly be on my list of choices in 2 years 3 months time. I just wonder by then if there will be romours of a replacent in the not too distant future. The B7 obviously uses the B6's platform which goes back to 2005 and earlier as it's an extended Mk5 Golf platform really. Audi's seem to get entirely new platforms every six or seven years for the A4.
Skoda say the Octavia and Superb will be on a new platform by 2014 and as they also both use variations of the Golf/Passat platform VAG must be have one in the pipeline.

As for your other cars I'd only consider the Mondeo and then only if it's a higher spec one. I drove a 2.2 200PS diesel TitaniumX and it's a great car just a shame you can't spec it with the powershift (DSG) gearbox. The 160 Powershift is also good bt avoid 18" wheels and the sports suspension.

Cheers
Lee

DSG4ME
07-04-2011, 03:06 PM
VW is going to be the most economical by a country mile Rappy, my mate had a Titty X Mondeo auto, 27mpg urban, the VX won't be much better, might do 32mpg urban, the Pug I just don't know as I simply will not entertain French car's no matter how good the MPG is, the VW I expect to do around 37-42 urban given the official figures compared to our current population chokers. ;)

logiclee
07-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Ford have dropped the Mondeo Auto with the six speed conventiol torque convertor. The new facelift Mondeo has a Powershift gearbox which ia a dual clutch box same as the DSG. Urban is 40mpg, Extra Urban 60mpg and Combined 50mpg so a couple of mpg better than the B6 CR DSG and a couple of mpg behind the B7 CR DSG, emmissions are below 150g/km. Mondeo does offer more spec for the money and recently beat the B7 and Superb in What Car group test so its worth a look.
I liked the Mondeo but the old auto was too thirsty. It also feels a bigger car than the Passat.

Cheers
Lee

VeDubDan
07-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Ford have dropped the Mondeo Auto with the six speed conventiol torque convertor. The new facelift Mondeo has a Powershift gearbox which ia a dual clutch box same as the DSG. Urban is 40mpg, Extra Urban 60mpg and Combined 50mpg so a couple of mpg better than the B6 CR DSG and a couple of mpg behind the B7 CR DSG, emmissions are below 150g/km. Mondeo does offer more spec for the money and recently beat the B7 and Superb in What Car group test so its worth a look.
I liked the Mondeo but the old auto was too thirsty. It also feels a bigger car than the Passat.

Cheers
Lee

Yeah but it's FORD. YUK! :o

rapport25
11-04-2011, 07:58 AM
It wont be a B7. I have been in contact with my new company. And they have a lease agreement with BMW. I will be gettting a BMW 3 series 320D Touring. Fully loaded with leather etc..... The only say I get is the colour and it will be silver. Car will be waiting for me when I start in June.

Rappy.

VeDubDan
11-04-2011, 08:31 AM
A silver BMW? Wow, don't think I've seen a silver BM before.

rapport25
11-04-2011, 09:03 AM
A silver BMW? Wow, don't think I've seen a silver BM before.

Really? :biglaugh:.

Joking aside. Due to covering lots of miles I want my car to look clean. Silver is the only colour I have had that does not show the dirt as much. Unlike my black pearl. At least with it being a company car. I wont really be that bothered about machine polishing it :Blush2:.

Again a win win.

pussaty
16-04-2011, 12:39 AM
I was going to order a new B7 S, 140 DSG with park sensors, cruise control etc to change from a 2010 1.6 B6 Bluemotion but am now looking at the Insignia- more toys, better pull, looks and I would even go as far as saying better road holding and suspension.

Motorway
16-04-2011, 11:00 PM
I had one of the diesel Insignias on hire last week for three days to drive to Malaga on a business trip. the power is there but at higher revs than the Passat 2.0tdi engine, i found quite a bit of turbo lag.

economy, the best i could manage over the 3200mile round trip was 42.6mpg from a diesel?. last year my B6 estate did considerably better at 56.7 i also find the Passat quieter and i am told the new B7 is even quieter.

road tax. the Insignia i had on hire had tax at £155, the new B7 2.0tdi is free for 12 months then £30 thereafter.

i was glad to get back into the Passat on thursday afternoon. i used to have Vauxhalls for 10 years and at the time i thought they were good but not impressed in the new offering.

pussaty
17-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Funny thing is, the one I'm testing at the moment while I order a new one is a 2.0 CDTI 160PS Auto.

Plenty of power below 2k rpm's and in fact excellent for pulling away fast around roundabouts.

Bear in mind I have the tweaked 2011 edition and Vx are great so far in that they keep refining it and not publicising those changes- they just get on with it. Which year was yours?

Motorway
18-04-2011, 08:57 AM
The one i hired was a 2.0 CDTI, it had 5000 miles onwhen i picked it up monday and 8790 when i dropped it of thursday lunchtime. dont know when it was built but the 12 month tax expired feb 2012 and it was a 60 plate maybe i just got a bad one?.

rapport25
14-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Due to a change in circumstances I have a choice of 2 cars. My new new job is set to start in July I have a choice of either a Passat estate or Insignia estate.

Guys any help? I will be making my decision next week. Both cars are available not sure of the spec or colour. Just that both are manual 2.0 diesels.
Many Thanks,
Rappy

stuk100
14-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Due to a change in circumstances I have a choice of 2 cars. My new new job is set to start in July I have a choice of either a Passat estate or Insignia estate.

Guys any help? I will be making my decision next week. Both cars are available not sure of the spec or colour. Just that both are manual 2.0 diesels.
Many Thanks,
Rappy

I had similar choice and have seen a few tests comparing these (look on youtube and what car). Passat comes out on top every time. Insignia is praised for looks but just about nothing else. B7 is the better car.

rapport25
15-06-2011, 08:55 AM
I have decided on a B7. What are peoples views? Best model etc...

Does the Sport have chrome roof rails? I seem to remember they had B7's with them.

Many Thanks,

Rappy.

fireblade43
22-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Took delivery of new Passat 2.0TDi SE 140 Est in April. Generally very pleased with car replacing my previous excellent Golf Match Tdi BUT! I have what appears to be a common problem with the way the clutch operates in traffic or parking, it has a pulsing sensation through the pedal and makes clicking noises when gently releasing pedal, VERY ANNOYING! VW acknowledge it is there but refuse to do anything about it as it is quote " a manufacturing characteristic" not a fault. My advice get a DSG or be prepared to be dissapionted with the clutch and even more dissapointed with VW attitude.
P.S Anybody had any success with VW over this problem?

Passat Sport
22-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Took delivery of new Passat 2.0TDi SE 140 Est in April. Generally very pleased with car replacing my previous excellent Golf Match Tdi BUT! I have what appears to be a common problem with the way the clutch operates in traffic or parking, it has a pulsing sensation through the pedal and makes clicking noises when gently releasing pedal, VERY ANNOYING! VW acknowledge it is there but refuse to do anything about it as it is quote " a manufacturing characteristic" not a fault. My advice get a DSG or be prepared to be dissapionted with the clutch and even more dissapointed with VW attitude.

Not a problem that I have experienced with my TDI 170 Sport saloon. Generally pleased with the car, but not with VW customer care. Given the choice I'd have gone for another Mondeo - better handling, more thought given to integration of some of the extras and a hatchback to boot. However, no longer on the company car list. I tried the BMW 320D ED and the Skoda Octavia VRs, but the Passat was a better car all round than the BMW and the lower tax and running costs on the Passat swung it over the Octavia.

rapport25
22-06-2011, 10:56 PM
I think I have made a wise choice. As you mentioned lower tax. Also a far better drive than the Vauhall Insignia which was my other option.

Passat Sport
23-06-2011, 05:34 AM
I think I have made a wise choice. As you mentioned lower tax. Also a far better drive than the Vauhall Insignia which was my other option.
I would not touch the Insignia with the proverbial barge pole! Taken off our company car list - but hardly anyone choosing it beforehand.

DSG4ME
19-07-2011, 10:36 AM
I would not touch the Insignia with the proverbial barge pole! Taken off our company car list - but hardly anyone choosing it beforehand.

It's a nice car tbh, but VX being VX did the usual and forgot ppl sit in the back, fitted it with uber expensive tyres and haven't caught up in the fuel economy stakes, nor will they until they fit their version of the DSG in them, sadly seems to only be an option in a Movano right now.

I think long term you did right Rappy, plus it means you will remain here as a Panzersat driver.

TurbofanRB211
24-03-2015, 01:08 AM
Deleted

hatterboard
27-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Quest for help please

I drive a 2010 passat as a private hire, if I get the b7 can I take the leather seats and drop them straight into the b7

gunner786
29-12-2015, 06:01 AM
You from luton bro?

hatterboard
29-12-2015, 09:03 AM
No
North East lad

gunner786
31-12-2015, 05:38 AM
K.
Im from luton quite a few b7's here as taxis. The trend nowadays lol