PDA

View Full Version : fitting xenon headlights

bodie71
05-04-2011, 08:57 PM
iv got a pre facelift b5 and i was thinking of changing the headlights to facelft xenons, i know there is a slight modification to get them fitted but what i want to know is there any different wiring to do or will they just plug straight in?

sined
10-04-2011, 10:09 PM
They also do xenons on the pre facelift S4 dont know about wiring mods though.

hibbsy21
12-04-2011, 03:44 PM
iv got a pre facelift b5 and i was thinking of changing the headlights to facelft xenons, i know there is a slight modification to get them fitted but what i want to know is there any different wiring to do or will they just plug straight in?

Fairly simple fit. You will need to cut a bit of the wing off where the old indicator clips on. With a bit of wiggling they will slot in.

As for the wiring, are you putting in HID's? To have both dipped and hi-beams on you will need to bridge two wires on the indicator stalk. The bottom and 3rd wires on the left as you look at it need bridging. If you need any pics i will get them for you.

Rich

bodie71
14-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Fairly simple fit. You will need to cut a bit of the wing off where the old indicator clips on. With a bit of wiggling they will slot in.

As for the wiring, are you putting in HID's? To have both dipped and hi-beams on you will need to bridge two wires on the indicator stalk. The bottom and 3rd wires on the left as you look at it need bridging. If you need any pics i will get them for you.

Rich

cheers rich i dont know yet about HID's when i get the lights il contact you if i need them pics.

hibbsy21
15-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Well regardless of the HID's you'll still need to bridge the two ports in the indicator stalk to have both on at the same time, or they wont be as bright as they could be.

bodie71
19-04-2011, 08:35 PM
ah yes, i picked you up wrong i thought it was just for the HID's you needed to do the bridging procedure, if you could show me a pic of said procedure it would be most helpful Rich :biggthump

hibbsy21
19-04-2011, 11:21 PM
ah yes, i picked you up wrong i thought it was just for the HID's you needed to do the bridging procedure, if you could show me a pic of said procedure it would be most helpful Rich :biggthump

I will get you them tomorrow, I'm in london at the moment, and I left my camera at home. But you could give it a go without the pics.

Take the two screws out on the bottom of the covers on the bottom of the steering wheel (near the lever to move it up an down) the top cover will lift off now.

The plug you need to pull out is on the left, pull it off any you will need to have a short piece of wire, about 10cms, i used a bit off and old lamp, just strip the outer insulation to get a single piece of wire.

So with the plug out, it will be the bottom and the third up on the left. They should be marked 1-14. so you need it in port 1 and 3. Number one probably wont have a wire in it to begin with so you'll need to push the wire through and fold it over the plastic (making sure that it wont touch anything other than the first plug) same with port 3. And thats it. If you are still unsure i will get the pics on here by 9ish tomorrow.

Hope that helps mate!

Rich

vincentlv
01-05-2011, 09:41 AM
H Rich, i ve just replace my pre facelift headlight to facelift one and install the dipped light hids as well. I ve just found one serious problem that the HIDs are not as bright as i expect. To be honest, it is very dark and i can hardly see on the motoway. It is just as same as old yellow lights. The full beam light seems not bright either. They r just like got nor enought voltage. Do you have any advices on that ? thanks

hibbsy21
01-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Right then, what kit did you get 35w or 55w? what colour temp did you get? I use 8000k, i bought some 10000k bulbs ones an they where awfull, so dont go any higher than 8000k.

Have you bridged the indicator stalk because if you havent then what is happening when you switch between dipped and hi is the hi are cold, so they take about 10secs to warm up and the dipped are cooling down and take 10 secs to warm up again... that make sense?

Where abouts in the UK do you live?

vincentlv
02-05-2011, 01:24 AM
I am based at southampton mate. Would you reckon some good 8000K bulbs that i can changed to see if the light can be improved. Thanks mate

hibbsy21
02-05-2011, 01:34 AM
What kit did you buy? they do have ballasts dont they?

Also as i was driving round tonight i thought that perhaps you need to get them realigned? Mine are too high at the moment so maybe yours are too low.

I will post some pictures now of mine

hibbsy21
02-05-2011, 01:40 AM
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee496/a4_nut/DSCN1347.jpg

Dipped

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee496/a4_nut/DSCN1352.jpg

Dipped and High beam

vincentlv
03-05-2011, 05:35 AM
urs are brilliant mate. Mine are just not bright enought. I ve been to MOT station to have them check it out and told Everything is fine. no need to do the alignment.However, i felt it just too high. The dip beam focus on the road sign which is like 5 meter away and high beam just directly go to sky. It is a nightware... I bought the kit off ebay with no brand on it. I am not sure if i need to change the ballest as well or just chang to the 8000k bulbs.

hibbsy21
03-05-2011, 10:53 PM
What bulbs do you have in at the moment? Anything above 8000k are useless on the road.