PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Mk3 gearbox noisy after clutch change

Cyber5
05-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Golf Mk3 1.9 diesel 1995

I have just changed the clutch & release bearing, I now have a noisy gearbox, the noise disappears when the clutch pedal is pressed but comes back half way up the pedal movement when the clutch engages and turns the primary shaft in the gearbox.

I have checked the clutch is fitted correctly.
Please help

Aknedude
07-04-2011, 08:06 PM
I have the same problem, i dont think its the gearbox making the noise, i think it is the clutch. but i cant figure out whats making the noise, i think its wrong centered, and thats whats making the noise. The only thing i can think of stopping this, is to buy a new clutch and start over.:zx11:

Cyber5
08-04-2011, 12:46 PM
I have the same problem, i dont think its the gearbox making the noise, i think it is the clutch. but i cant figure out whats making the noise, i think its wrong centered, and thats whats making the noise. The only thing i can think of stopping this, is to buy a new clutch and start over.:zx11:

I have refitted the old clutch and made shure it is fitted correctly but still have the same noise. I have also replaced the release bearing.

Crasher
08-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Did you check the bush in the centre of the input shaft for the release rod? These wear.

Cyber5
08-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Did you check the bush in the centre of the input shaft for the release rod? These wear.

Thanks for the reply. No I did not check the bush but I checked the oil seal was ok.
I have run it without the release bearing and pushrod and the noise is still there so I don't think it can be the bush.

If I press the clutch pedal the noise stops as the clutch dissengages then comes back when the clutch engages.

If I lift the pedal SLOWLY the noise does not start untill the next normal pedal operation .

This has got me stumped:zx11::aargh4:

Cyber5
08-04-2011, 01:55 PM

What model is yours - is it diesel or petrol

Aknedude
09-04-2011, 04:24 PM
What model is yours - is it diesel or petrol

Mine is a petrol 1.8 66kw. its like there is 5-10 cm. Slip in the cable. When i push it down. And when im driving and shift gear it rattels when i release the clutch.

Crasher
09-04-2011, 07:27 PM
It could be a faulty clutch, which make did you use? There is also the possibility that it is one or both of the input shaft support bearings are worn which can make a nasty chattering noise. More often than not it is the grooved ball bearing on the end of the input shaft that wears.

Aknedude
09-04-2011, 09:38 PM
It could be a faulty clutch, which make did you use? There is also the possibility that it is one or both of the input shaft support bearings are worn which can make a nasty chattering noise. More often than not it is the grooved ball bearing on the end of the input shaft that wears.

I dont now which make it is, i but if i cant figure it out im going to buy a sachs clutch, not going for any cheap **** again, its not worth it, instead Of getting new alloys im now going to spend money AGAIN!!! On a clutch. :zx11:

Crasher
09-04-2011, 10:42 PM
I refuse point blank to fit anything other than SACHS or LUK, to have to pull a box you have just fitted is far far too depressing and once you have been there you learn your lesson.