PDA

View Full Version : B7 1 Month on user review.

ipc266
03-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Having had the car for 1 month i thought i would pass comment to anyone who is thinking or getting a new B7.Our company ordered 3 in Nov 10 for delivery march 11,we had heard lots of tales of late deliverys however true to their word they all arrived on the 1st March.I went for the 2.0 SE TDI Saloon in Island grey with an extra of heated seats and front heated windscreen.
Firstly can i state i owned a B6 2.0 SE from new (It was 4 years old having 145000m on the clock) so i was more than ready to see if the car lived upto the hype of the limited info we had been given.
Overall the car is very good,nice touches from the VW guys,the car handles very well,the bluemotion touches are really good ideas and are a step in the right direction.Against the B6 its a different car which is apparent as soon as you get in,the build,finish and driving experience is truly spot on.We did upgrade the phones to the latest Nokia's and the pairing with the car is a breeze.Up on the roof panel near the interior lights is a 3 button switch module,a spanner button calls the breakdown service at VW if pressed (very clever),an I button calls VW traffic and travel & a star button mutes handsfree for incar conversation whilst on the phone if required.The radio is DAB model RCD 310 which i have to say is a great sound and service on the DAB signal is generally good,if it starts to weaken if automatically flicks to FM on the same station and back when DAB is back to strength.I have covered 2K this month and only in my home town of Skegness does the signal give issues (Typical).
Engine noise and traffic noise is a lot less than the B6,however with all my cars i am keeping the revs down for the first 5k.The B7 likes to tell you to change gear via a arrow on the display,this keeps the revs very low at 1000 - 1100 and i am getting 60mpg on average.Its not as nippy as the B6 but its early days yet.
Its going in next week for a minor issue of loose trims inside the car on both the dashboard and rear parcel shelf,I won't gripe about it as it's only minor and will be fixed i am sure in no time.
I can post pics or answer any questions you guys may have,please just ask.I am not an engineer but take an intrest in how things work so be gentle on me.

walker77
03-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Having had the car for 1 month i thought i would pass comment to anyone who is thinking or getting a new B7.Our company ordered 3 in Nov 10 for delivery march 11,we had heard lots of tales of late deliverys however true to their word they all arrived on the 1st March.I went for the 2.0 SE TDI Saloon in Island grey with an extra of heated seats and front heated windscreen.
Firstly can i state i owned a B6 2.0 SE from new (It was 4 years old having 145000m on the clock) so i was more than ready to see if the car lived upto the hype of the limited info we had been given.
Overall the car is very good,nice touches from the VW guys,the car handles very well,the bluemotion touches are really good ideas and are a step in the right direction.Against the B6 its a different car which is apparent as soon as you get in,the build,finish and driving experience is truly spot on.We did upgrade the phones to the latest Nokia's and the pairing with the car is a breeze.Up on the roof panel near the interior lights is a 3 button switch module,a spanner button calls the breakdown service at VW if pressed (very clever),an I button calls VW traffic and travel & a star button mutes handsfree for incar conversation whilst on the phone if required.The radio is DAB model RCD 310 which i have to say is a great sound and service on the DAB signal is generally good,if it starts to weaken if automatically flicks to FM on the same station and back when DAB is back to strength.I have covered 2K this month and only in my home town of Skegness does the signal give issues (Typical).
Engine noise and traffic noise is a lot less than the B6,however with all my cars i am keeping the revs down for the first 5k.The B7 likes to tell you to change gear via a arrow on the display,this keeps the revs very low at 1000 - 1100 and i am getting 60mpg on average.Its not as nippy as the B6 but its early days yet.
Its going in next week for a minor issue of loose trims inside the car on both the dashboard and rear parcel shelf,I won't gripe about it as it's only minor and will be fixed i am sure in no time.
I can post pics or answer any questions you guys may have,please just ask.I am not an engineer but take an intrest in how things work so be gentle on me.

Thanks for the information on your first month with the car. There's no substitute to feedback from someone who is living with the car day in day out.

I'm currently driving a Saab 9-3 Estate 1.9ttdi but had a 320 MSport Saloon for last 3 years. I test drove the 140SE and was impressed with how quiet and refined it seems. It was a bit more floaty than the MSport but the harshness of that suspension started to annoy me after two months of the lease - so I am quite pleased that the Passat is that bit softer. (and without runflats!)

I've decided on my spec for a lease vehicle but can't decide on colour - Island Grey or Deep Black - so would be interested to see any pics you have. I'm trying to get keyless entry, parking sensors and heated windscreen (just found out that you have to have heated seats with that option).

You reckon it was about 3 and a half months for delivery?

ipc266
03-04-2011, 11:12 PM
No problem with the photo's i will post them Monday.
The ride i would describe as comfortable and positive,I base this on comparing on roads i previously traveled down as the B7 does not roll as much and sits nicely over the crests and dips.With heated seats don't forget this includes the rears as well which is a first for me on any car I've had.The controls have a 3 push setting on both the heat and direction dials for each front seat which took a day or so to find by accident !!!
One gripe i do have is the chrome trim around the front vents reflects badly onto the windscreen on sunny days which i would have thought VW would have picked up on in design stage trials.

VeDubDan
04-04-2011, 01:55 PM
I have leather interior with heated seats - does this therefore mean the rear seats are heated?

I did not know this.

If this is true - how do I heat the rear seats?

The Fingers
04-04-2011, 02:18 PM
One gripe i do have is the chrome trim around the front vents reflects badly onto the windscreen on sunny days which i would have thought VW would have picked up on in design stage trials.

I have not noticed this yet, in the B6 i found the stealy bit round the DSG lever / ash tray flap a sun reflector and was blinded by it a few times.

Now i will have three blinding areas, the ash tray bit, the vent bit and then the massive reflection from my shiny bald head!!!!!:biglaugh:

logiclee
04-04-2011, 04:23 PM
.Against the B6 its a different car which is apparent as soon as you get in,the build,finish and driving experience is truly spot on.

Engine noise and traffic noise is a lot less than the B6.

Was your B6 a PD or CR? Couldn't tell any difference from a B6 2.0 CR to B7 2.0 CR on engine or tyre noise but felt there was a slight reduction in wind noise at motorway speeds on the B7.

Engines, suspension and steering settings are all carried over from the last B6 so I didn't find the B7 any different to drive at all (same size wheel and tyre combo's) but the thicker glass seems to have made a noticable improvement on wind noise.
The 2010 clocks and switch gear were carried over as well as the 12 button MFSW, I think they were a massive step up from the dated looking blue and red dash and the black knob heater controls. The 12 button MFSW makes using the MDI and Blutooth really easy but you really nead one of the 510 head units to get the full benefit.

Cheers
Lee

ipc266
04-04-2011, 06:51 PM
As you know it's the little things that make a big difference (ask the wife ;)),I draw your attention to the head restraints that also move forward on the button which is nice on long journeys.
The rear seat heating is controlled via the two controls on the rear of the centre armrest.
On a negative they have done away with the fuel filler release on the drivers door,it's now a push to open on the flap itself.They have also used the boot floor cover out of the B6 which has the release in it,the crazy thing is it does not catch on anything within the wheel well,so the cover just fits but does not lock down onto anything.It's not an issue but again it's something that should have been better thought out.
Seating position is excellent even Quasimodo would get comfy in the car,they wrap round you well and do hold you in position which was always a gripe on the B6 i owned.

ipc266
04-04-2011, 06:54 PM
The controls for the rear heated seats.

ipc266
04-04-2011, 06:57 PM
And the cars colour is Island grey.

logiclee
04-04-2011, 07:31 PM
I have leather interior with heated seats - does this therefore mean the rear seats are heated?

I did not know this.

If this is true - how do I heat the rear seats?

When ordering new.

If you have a car with cloth seats then you have a choice of either front heated seats for £260, if you have front and rear heated then it's £410.

If you already have leather heated front seats you could have the rears heated for £150.

I don't rate the three level heated seats in the Passat though, whatever level you have them on they cycle hot and cold on the thermostat.
The Mondeo's 10 level climate seats are great in comparison they heat or cool to a set level and just stay there.
Don't know if the optional climate seats in the Passat are any better but at £1915 it isn't a cheap option.
I'm a leather fan so would probably go for the Sport if I choose another Passat but not to keen on stiffer suspension. Would also probably spec the 12 way adjustbale seats as my wife finds the sports seats a bit slopey.

Has anyone bought a B7 cash yet? If so what sort of deal did you manage?

Must admit I'm quite taken with the new Jetta now it's no longer a Golf with a boot but it's made in Mexico. :aargh4:

Cheers
Lee

ipc266
04-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Yes our company did on 3 cars,we got 7% off list and we did shop around,They were all quoting the same.As our local dealer stated "Take it or leave it".They did not get the sale,Cooks at peterbourgh did in the end.

logiclee
04-04-2011, 08:53 PM
7% not a bad deal on three cars, especially on a new model. I managed around 5% with 50% off a few dealer fit options with lifeshine and GAP thrown in.
Last July there was also the 0% finance and three years free servicing.
Have the car booked in for it's first free service in two weeks, will be getting a B7 for the day, they are trying to get me a DSG I've already had a good run out in the manual.
Will let you know how it compares.

Cheers
Lee

ipc266
24-04-2011, 05:15 PM
The car is now 2 months old and i thought i would update you all on how i am getting on with the B7.
It has been in twice for annoying rattles which have been driving me mad over the 4K i have covered.These areas were:
1 - The dials plastic cover rattles constantly.
2 - The trim along the front dashboard vibrates when the revs are around 1000 - 2000 rpm.
3 - the trim headlining above the back window has annoying vibrations on rough surfaces.
4 - The heated screen did not work.

These are all fixed now to complete satisfaction ( item 1 resulted in all the fascia being replaced to overcome).

Overall i still stand by my original statement of being very happy with the car although PDI should have picked up the rattles.

The engine is freeing up nicely and it is a great ride on long journeys.I am getting 57 - 60 mpg on long journeys at an average of 75mph (motorways in 6th).:D