PDA

View Full Version : rear end rattle

fordgt40
02-04-2011, 01:56 PM
We finally got our 170 DSG in January this year after a 5 month wait, very pleased with it apart from a dull rattle which seems to be coming from the rear nearside, I removed the toolbox and spare wheel but no difference.

Took it to dealers who thought he could hear something but after re torqueing the suspension fixings and heat shields it's no different. he took another CC out and it did the same thing, does anyone know what it could possibly be?

ednaroad
04-04-2011, 07:09 PM
I had exactly the same thing with mine, turned out to be the lock on the rear folding seat was not properly secured. You could also make sure the centre armrest through to the boot is secured.
I slammed the seat shut and locked it with the key.

eob
05-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Some are experiencing problems with rigidity.
See :
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4937898-Rattle-is-Driving-Me-Nuts....Any-thoughts/page3
I've got this problem and will mention it at next service.

ilercom1
08-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Mine had rattles all over including behing the rear passengers head, the dealer fixed it by adjusting the rear parcel shelf cross member (probably with a hammer)

fordgt40
08-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Mine had rattles all over including behing the rear passengers head, the dealer fixed it by adjusting the rear parcel shelf cross member (probably with a hammer)

Mine's going back to the dealer again next week to try and sort out the rear end rattle, they couldn't find anything wrong with it on the last visit so I'm not holding much hope out, there's rattles from the dash trim as well, looks like it's going to be an ongoing problem.

fordgt40
17-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Finally cured at last, the culprit was the rear brake calipers, now replaced and the rattle has gone.

tadziak
17-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Finally cured at last, the culprit was the rear brake calipers, now replaced and the rattle has gone.

Nice, congrats :) And what about the dash trim rattle? Do you hear it always or only on bumpy roads?

fordgt40
17-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Nice, congrats :) And what about the dash trim rattle? Do you hear it always or only on bumpy roads?

Dash rattles and buzzes still there all the time although not too bad now the weather has got warmer, it's obviously temperature related.

tadziak
17-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Dash rattles and buzzes still there all the time although not too bad now the weather has got warmer, it's obviously temperature related.

Honestly I just don't think that a car that consists of so many plastic parts can be rattle free, especially on the country, bumpy roads. When you drive on a crappy road even your teeth might rattle - so maybe we should just try to be happy with our cars ;)

fordgt40
17-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Honestly I just don't think that a car that consists of so many plastic parts can be rattle free, especially on the country, bumpy roads. When you drive on a crappy road even your teeth might rattle - so maybe we should just try to be happy with our cars ;)

Not so, my other car is a Merc C350 CDI estate, no rattles whatsoever

Vincent Yore
01-12-2012, 12:10 AM
I have now devloped the squeak in rear parcel shelf did anybody use the lub method as described on other forums?

Hitcher
17-12-2012, 04:38 PM
I have now devloped the squeak in rear parcel shelf did anybody use the lub method as described on other forums?

Parcel shelf on mine so far ok( 1000mls so far CC GT ) although do have rattle from rear end when suspension set on confort, rattle from glovebox, rattle under steering column and a tempremental RNS 315 stereo that decides at will to switch between radio, midi and cd. Getting booked in soon to VW for a check
:confused:

Vincent Yore
19-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Parcel shelf on mine so far ok( 1000mls so far CC GT ) although do have rattle from rear end when suspension set on confort, rattle from glovebox, rattle under steering column and a tempremental RNS 315 stereo that decides at will to switch between radio, midi and cd. Getting booked in soon to VW for a check
:confused:

I also have small rattle under steering column

Hitcher
20-12-2012, 11:00 AM
I also have small rattle under steering column

I managed to trace this, on mine the plastic under cover was vibrating against the sterring wheel adjustment lever when it was in the locked position. Not ideal but i stuck a bit of fabric tape where they were hitting each other and problem solved :o

Vincent Yore
20-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Nice one I will give that a go :D

kentv79
07-06-2016, 10:52 PM
Do you or anyone else have a sound recording of this noise? I have a 2013 VW CC and my dealer believes this sound to be from the tires and will not do anything with it. This car has been like this for 3 years, being in and out of the shop without any solution. The sound is out of phase with the tire noise, not metallic, but more like something is lose or worn out. But again, it's been like this since the car was new.