PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Handsfree

qblue
02-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Hey, I've got a new B7 Passsat 11 plate SE 1.6TDi BlueMotion.

Does anyone know how to use the voice activation on the phone kit? There is a button on the steering wheel (which the car manual says should be pressed for voice activation) however when I press it, it just mute's the stereo and that's it.

Any ideas?

The Fingers
04-04-2011, 10:09 AM
You dont get voice activation with the standard RCD 310, you would need to install an RNS 510 (latest issue one) i am not sure if the RCD 510 will work or not.

Mine mutes the radio only also.

Does anyone know if you can re program the 3 button module for short dials (the one in the roof panel - 3 black buttons) its currently pointless!!!

qblue
04-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks for letting me know!!

Bluetooth handsfree without voice activation seems pretty poor!!!

The Fingers
04-04-2011, 11:19 AM
If your phone supports it then it will work from there.

I use my blackberry 9780 in the car, there is a button on the side for voice commands. If its in the centre console i just press the button on the side of the phone and say name etc.

I find it just as easy to use the wheel button and search using the dash screen.

VeDubDan
04-04-2011, 01:48 PM
If you hold the "voice command" button down on the steering wheel Fingers it redials the last number dialed. But I've not seen any voice command stuff either.

VeDubDan
04-04-2011, 01:48 PM
If you just click it then it does just mute everything.

The Fingers
04-04-2011, 02:10 PM
If you hold the "voice command" button down on the steering wheel Fingers it redials the last number dialed. But I've not seen any voice command stuff either.

Was playing at lunch time and found that one out by mistake!!! you know the one, phone starts dialing and the mass dont know what to do panic drifts over, pressing every button to kill the call.:o

So hold it down and its last number redial...............

I think the software for voice command is in the firmware of the RNS 510 / maybe RCD 510. I think its actually part of the stereo rather than the blue tooth add on. So the steering wheel is talking to the radio, it then finds voice 'name' in stereo stored phone book.

Cough............ i wouldn't swear blind in drunken debate though i could be talking complete 'Bo**ocks'

I need that three button module hacking, i have had a VW for 10 years and have never rang road side assistance or the traffic service once. Lucky i guess ;-) It should have been programable with three phone items.....Home, office (two small ones) and voice commands (large one) Vw when do i start.

How you getting on with yours VeDubDan?

VeDubDan
04-04-2011, 02:26 PM
My new B7 and I are getting along swimmingly! I love it. Almost coming to an end of my first full tank and at the minute done 575 miles with around 100 remaining. I've been driving like an old dear on her way to church of a sunday morning (apart from a couple of little blaps when trying to be over taken by a yaris - I don't care if I DO cause damage to the engine, I aint be overtaken by a Yaris!! :biglaugh:)

Errrr, trying to think of anything I'm unhappy with, can't find anything at the minute.

You refer to 3 buttons - traffic, roadside assist, something else - what and where are these 3 buttons? I've not seen them, any reason why I wouldn't have them? :confused:

How about you Fingers? All settled in? i've done around 900 miles now.

---oh I think you're correct about the firmware of the 510 - I'm pretty sure the hardware we have with our 315 isn't the restrictive part - this the feature of the software. I'm sure given time, an uber geek with fix our issue. Well I hope so anyway.

The Fingers
04-04-2011, 02:57 PM
My new B7 and I are getting along swimmingly! I love it. Almost coming to an end of my first full tank and at the minute done 575 miles with around 100 remaining. I've been driving like an old dear on her way to church of a sunday morning (apart from a couple of little blaps when trying to be over taken by a yaris - I don't care if I DO cause damage to the engine, I aint be overtaken by a Yaris!! :biglaugh:)

Errrr, trying to think of anything I'm unhappy with, can't find anything at the minute.

You refer to 3 buttons - traffic, roadside assist, something else - what and where are these 3 buttons? I've not seen them, any reason why I wouldn't have them? :confused:

How about you Fingers? All settled in? i've done around 900 miles now.

---oh I think you're correct about the firmware of the 510 - I'm pretty sure the hardware we have with our 315 isn't the restrictive part - this the feature of the software. I'm sure given time, an uber geek with fix our issue. Well I hope so anyway.

3 buttons - above your head where sun roof switch would be if i had one ;-( (The only black switches up there!!!) one big and two small. i only spotted them after having a look in the distruction book and seeing something in the manual about what they do. they must hold phone numbers in memory somewhere, hack - change numbers - usefull!!!

Uber geeks are great, i have used loads of stuff off of these techy wizards to upgrade vintage tomtoms to latest spec firmware, same with old ipod touches. Why buy new when you can hack the sh*t out of the old ones and get some shakey 'have a broke it' thrill at the same time!!!!!

I am about the same mileage wise as you, first full tank did just shy of 700 miles. Never got 700 out of my B6. Did a run from manchester to york and back on friday, took it steady A road twisties to motorway, M62, M1, A1M, A64, 3 miles a roads. It showed 68.9 mpg for whole trip there and back, was showing 71.4 mpg until a came off the M62 on way back. Never saw this in B6, filled up on A64 on way back (£153.9 Ltr ouch treated it to BP Ultimate - thank the lord for Allstar) when i got back in range was showing 980 miles ....... Nice.

Mud Flaps............ I need some now, its been washed every 200 miles, washed it saturday, did two miles and could see the crud building up behind front wheel arches. Made me want to cry.......Booooo Hoooooo!!!

I still cant find fault with it yet, well if i am picky cant put sun glasses in holder in roof, they rattle. Erm........Mud Flaps.......ERM...........Mud Flaps......... Erm Never Get White Again........................ERM Mud Flaps.

Sensor for wipers is a bit skittly. Lights come on way to far before dark. People think i have got my fog lights on all the time during the day. Some chimp even told me about it at the lights. Cant have it aint got fogs says I now F**K Off. Bag hooks 'The Curry Hook' they have ruined them this time B6 they were mint, B7 akward with no strech down to get bags on.

Did i mention Mud Flaps, it needs some of them.

I am going to break the clock, when you change it for a few hours in the dis, is starts spinning like a mad one all on its own. Stop Messing!!!!!

They still p*ss in through the windows (when open) when its raining or there is water on the roof and you go round a corner, got an unwanted shower this morning.

See cant find any real faults with it at all its fandabidozy!!!

Did i mention i need some mud flaps?

VeDubDan
04-04-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm surprised you've not mentioned mud flaps!

:biglaugh:

(running out to the car now to check for the 3 buttons)

VeDubDan
04-04-2011, 03:13 PM
nope - no 3 buttons in mine. I do have then panoramic sunroof, maybe this removes the buttons?

Another thing I've not got!!

:zx11:

The Fingers
04-04-2011, 03:40 PM
nope - no 3 buttons in mine. I do have then panoramic sunroof, maybe this removes the buttons?

Another thing I've not got!!

:zx11:

Swap you, sun roof for my 3 button module anyday. It dont do nothing usefull anyway. If we started plaing Top Trumps i think you would win!!!

Sport..... Sun Roof.........Heated Seats.........Leather................ I will get my coat!!!!

Mud Flaps thats what you need!!!!!:biglaugh:

VeDubDan
04-04-2011, 03:46 PM
did i not mention my shiny new mud flaps!?

lol - i wish.

logiclee
04-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Had my white Passat 3 weeks before I fitted mud flaps. :D

Only the RNS 510 does voice control. Non of the 310 units or the RCD 510 do.

Cheers
Lee

D4D
05-04-2011, 12:27 AM
While we are on the subject of Bluetooth, does anyone know if you can have 2 phones paired at the same time, I think they call it multi point something or other, I have a sport on order so that's the RNS315, thanks :)

The Fingers
05-04-2011, 09:55 AM
While we are on the subject of Bluetooth, does anyone know if you can have 2 phones paired at the same time, I think they call it multi point something or other, I have a sport on order so that's the RNS315, thanks :)

You can pair two phones but not have them connected at the same time, however you can set priority so if you have two phones in your pocket you can choose which one it selects first.

Hope this helps...............

VeDubDan
05-04-2011, 02:35 PM

Yip - I can vouch for what Fingers said. Tried it at the weekend with my wifes phone.

D4D
05-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Ahhh, thought as much. Bit of a bummer but there you go, thanks for the replies :)

Mikeym61
19-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Guys can you please help. Recently took delivery of my new 2011 passat 1.6 bluemotion which was fitted with the sat nav and Bluetooth. When I used Bluetooth first couple of times all worked ok with pairing both iPhone and works nokia etc - but now for some reason, when I make or receive calls, I can hear caller but they can't hear me. Hope some of you guys can help with this annoying little niggle.

The Fingers
19-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Guys can you please help. Recently took delivery of my new 2011 passat 1.6 bluemotion which was fitted with the sat nav and Bluetooth. When I used Bluetooth first couple of times all worked ok with pairing both iPhone and works nokia etc - but now for some reason, when I make or receive calls, I can hear caller but they can't hear me. Hope some of you guys can help with this annoying little niggle.

I would say delete all making sure there is no trace of existing set up and then re pair everything.

I think there is also a mic sensitivity setting in the menu on car. ( i may be wrong i just pair iphone 4 and blackberry bold 9780 with no issues at all)

mattjames1980
17-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Hey, I've got a new B7 Passsat 11 plate SE 1.6TDi BlueMotion.

Does anyone know how to use the voice activation on the phone kit? There is a button on the steering wheel (which the car manual says should be pressed for voice activation) however when I press it, it just mute's the stereo and that's it.

Any ideas?

Hi all, just wondering if this is still the same or is there anyway around this? picked up my 2.0 '13 reg highline on Saturday and this is the only thing i don't like about it.....my (now the wife's) '11 plate seat leon has it!

mrbroons
03-04-2015, 10:56 PM
Ok, just to kick start this thread again. Here is the problem I have, it seems to contradict the thoughts so far.

I have a 12 plate Alhambra 7N SE with RNS315 and Bluetooth, it has voice control working via the button the wheel and it came this way from the factory. I also have a 12 plate Passat B7 Highline with RNS315 and Bluetooth and it has no voice control. I have absolutely no idea why the two cars with almost identical specification have and 'do not' have the voice control. From everything I have read people say the RNS315 does not have voice control functionality and yet mine does. I have done the usual looking under the drivers and passengers seat for an extra Bluetooth module which might explain the working Voice control in the Alhambra but it's not there on either side.

On a slightly different note I have another issue with both cars which is in the same vein. The Alhambra has the function that dips the nearside mirror when the car is in reverse (it does have heated and folding mirrors with puddle lights), the Alhambra does 'not' have memory seats however. The Passat also has heated and folding mirrors with puddle lights plus the drivers mirror darkens with the interior mirror at night when needed, however the Passat does not have the capability to dip the nearside mirror - it is not available in the computer menu and even when coded with VCDS although it shows the menu it doesn't activate the feature!

So I have two cars one Seat and one VW with an almost identical spec that have two completely different set of capabilities. There are a lot of questions re these features online but no one seems to have a real answer on this that I can follow to get me to a fix. I'm not concerned if I need to purchase new hardware etc to enable the features so long as I know what I'm looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.

mrbroons
04-04-2015, 07:35 PM
Ok, now fixed it.

The Passat had Bluetooth and RNS315 already but no voice control.

Here are the mods that got it working, your mileage may vary but in my case the system was disabled by VW from the factory but all the systems were already installed.

To get Voice control working on RNS315

Go to module 16 - Steering Wheel
Byte 1 Bit 3 tick - "Multi-Function-Steering-Wheel (MSFW) with Push-to-Talk (PTT) Button installed"
Do-It

Go to module 37 - Navigation
Byte 10 untick bit 7 "Speech Dialog System (SDS) disabled/blocked)
Do-It

I really hope this helps folks out there struggling with this. Remember be careful, this worked for me it may not work for you and you are liable not me if it does any damage, I am assuming you are experienced with VCDS already if not there are many guides.